What's new

Your Ex-RPTV - What to do with it? (1 Viewer)

Michael Frazier

Auditioning
I have been using this great forum lately to research new hardware for upgrading my HT. I got a 53" Sony two years ago when HiDef was still really expensive. But the bug has now bitten hard, and the time has come - probably Tosh 57 or 65 HX81, but that is not the point. I guess this could apply to any HT gear, but especially with respect to your now or soon to be replaced BIG TV - what have you all been doing with it if you need it gone. It's not like you can toss it in the trunk and take it somewhere. And I cannot get real excited about a newspaper ad and having strangers wandering through the house to see it. What do you suggest?

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Mike:
When it comes to used RPTV's, your lucky to get back 25-50% of original list price, that's just the way it is.
Try this Forums' Hardware FS section. Also, EBay has an option for local sales, better coverage maybe than your local paper? In the end, if you have no biters, you wind up giving it away to a really close family member who will owe you a big one down the line. ;)
Happy Holidays
Rich B.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Sell it to a friend. I paid $1700 delivered for my old Samsung PCJ533RF a year and half ago, and I just sold it to my friend for $1000.

If you have a large income and could use the tax shelter, try donating it to a local school or library. I think you can claim a good portion of full list for your taxes.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Sold mine on ebay for 45% - warning - get ready to deal with shipping something BIG !!

buyer had to pay 360+ for a 43incher . I have to repack and SKID/CRATE the TV .

It's not as easy as UPS . Shipping this TV is a JOB .

Eric

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
In last Sunday's Parade magazine there was an ad with the headline "Turn Your TV Into a Fireplace for Only $6.95." (Subhead: "A $12.95 Value".)

It's the Ultimate Fireplace Video! To quote the ad, "It's relaxing. It's romantic. And, it's maintenance free."

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Well, when I replaced my RPTV with a new Toshiba, I traded the old one to my friend's father in exchange for him installing a new hot water heater for me. That worked out well for me -- I got to bathe again, and he got a TV that he absolutely loves.

If I hadn't had the waterheater problem, I would have moved the other tv to the bedroom, or possibly to my basement. But, I live alone in a (too) large house with many empty rooms.

I live in Kentucky, so here when we are finished using our major appliances we generally move them out onto the porch, then over time they work there way into the yard, and eventually down to the creek bank. At this point, however, RPTV's and so forth are too new to have started the journey out onto the porch, as most are still safely kept in the living rooms.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
I rolled mine outside, watched it rain a few times, then took off the screen and the mirror, at that point it falls apart really easy and into the trash. The wonders of particleboard!

David X

Stunt Coordinator
If it's in good working order, why not donate it to a local charity, especially if they will come and pick it up? Perhaps a school or a local youth program with an after hours activity center? Figure out the fair market value (used -- what you could reasonably get for it selling it now as is -- clip newspaper ads or print ebay selling prices to support your price if you need to) for the tv and have them give you a receipt for it and take a tax deduction.

-David

Users who are viewing this thread