What's new

Your dream movie. What would you wish for? (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Is a American dramatic film the same thing as an American drama? Or did you want to be more specific than that?

Heck, Raging Bull was a better American drama from the same year. Others that immediately come to mind are The Color Purple, Silence of the Lambs, Shawshank Redemption ... if your point is to small cast, emotional-issue based dramas ... of more recent vintage I'd say In The Bedroom is terrific.

If your point is that many dramas tend to be foreign based or foreign produced, no problem.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
rich_d,
Foreign dramatic films(especially Japanese, and French films) IMO are much more thought provoking, and stick with me more than most American dramas.
Not to say all foreign dramas are great, but many are, and sometimes I feel that(current) American films shy away from great dramatic material.
Million Dollar Baby was a very good film, but would it have been made without Clint Eastwood being the driving force behind it? Probably not.
American documentaries however are at an all time high IMO. and some of the best films I have seen are docs from the past 10 years, and they usually tend to be more dramatic than most fictional dramas, so for that I am greatful.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
A adaption of The Tripods: The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, and the Pool of Fire.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Somebody bring Kurosawa back from the dead. Kurosawa goes on to make a film. Any film. About anything. With whoever in it.

Nothing else would come close for me.

Egbert Souse

Agent
Real Name
Scott
Would like to see Terry Brooks` "The Sword of Shannara" I`ve always loved the first book,although not too fond of the countless sequels.Also,as someone already mentioned,a good "Doc Savage" movie.These are the first great adventures that I read as a kid,and still re-read some of them.

DaleC

Agent
I saw Dan Simmons' Hyperion books mentioned earlier. That would be wild, but there's WAYYYY too much going on. I think it's unfilmable -- of course they said that about LoTR too until Jackson got a hold of it...

I would like to see a movie version of "Phases of Gravity" by Dan Simmons. This was the first book of his that I read, and I read it every few years and get something totally new out of it. I'd love to see a film version, since it's a relatively sedate movie (not a lot of FX, etc).

I would want to see Gary Sinise playing Richard Baedecker, and LeeLee Sobieski playing the female lead. I think both these actors have the legs to pull off the story.

Not sure who I'd get to direct though.

Another interesting series would be the first three "Samaria" books by Sharon Shinn (Archangel, Jovah's Angel, and The Alleluia Files). I'd love to see Mt. Sainai struck down by Jovah when The Gloria is not sung. The only problem with that is that I have a VERY specific image in my mind about the angels and places.

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" books, a miniseries will probably be better since the scope is so big...

More of Howard Carter's "Conan the Barbarian" !

Orscon Scott Card's "Ender" books (especially Speaker of the Dead !)

A biopic based on Hannibal Barcas (the general from Carthago), Vin Diesel had a rumored project about this...

More seafaring/swashbucklers/historical epics/adventures/sci-fi !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks