What's new

Your Dream HT (1 Viewer)

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
I was in the process of daydreaming today of being able to someday create and build my Dream Home Theater. I was curious to see what others thought their dream ht would consist of.
So, my question to you is, what components would your dream ht consist of if money were no object? Anything from speakers to pre/pro to amp to video display to DVD player to screen. Your ideal, dream ht setup for components.
Thank you all for daydreaming with me and letting me know what your thoughts are on the best items out there.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Stewart Filmscreen screen, say, 16'x9'. Maybe Microperf (acoustic transparent.)

JVC D-ILA projector DLA-HD2K-SYS

I'm kind of happy with my Yamaha DSP-A1; I don't know how important 7.1 is..

Speakers: all akin to NHT SB-3 (sealed box is critical.)

Subwoofer(s)... Bag End Infrasub(s). They're nice; even the little 10" we have at work.

Leo

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
I am very happy with what I have. But If I where to dream.
Theta Dreadnought amplifier
Anthem preamp
A nice DYI subwoofer ($1200+ budget)
Vandersteen speakers
realy nice: CD, SACD/DVD-A,Phono, DVD Players

A real nice projector and screen like the one mentioned in the post above.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Paul, the Basics area is not quite the place for this thread. In fact, I think we're going to move over to After Hours -- and you will see responses there.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would go with 5 (or maybe 7) of the B&W Prestige Nautilus. I'd have an acoustic transparent screen and the new Sony front projector (or perhaps something a little more expensive). I'd also have the computer automation setup that the guy in the HTPC forum always posts about (I forget his name at the moment).

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
For cost-no-object I would be more concerned about the room / environment since it is the most important part of the equation.

Room:
- star ceiling with actual constellations
- absolutely dead quiet
- perfect acoustics for multi-channel (2ch system would be in another room)
- lobby with posters, memorbilia, pop corn machine, soda/beer, etc.
- high end recliners and a few love seats (for couples)
- Full automation

Audio / Video:
- Mostly pro audio gear (14 Crown Studio Reference amps, master clock generation + transport and DAC, etc.)
- Fully active DIY speaker design, 7 identical channels
- 4 IB subs to minimize peaks/nulls
- Kalidescape DVD source for convienience
- Multiple HD Tivos
- professionally designed and treated room (acoustics)
- plasmas in the lobby so people can see the movie while refreshing their food / drink
- mythical 1024p 3-chip DLP
- Terranex or Snell&Wilcox scaler
- 4-way masking screen (actual material would depend on seating arrangement and PJ specs)

That should put a dent in my initial budget :) :) :)

Todd K

Second Unit
My dream home theater wish doesn't include specific brands or models, but something that would probably be a work of fiction.

I want a theater that no one could find fault with. I feel that even if you assembled a team of a dozen expert installers and bought top of the line equipment from the top makers, there will be just as many experts who could come in and say "it could be done better this way."

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Pioneer HLD-X9, with MUSE decoder, for NTSC and MUSE HiVision LaserDiscs.

Pioneer Elite CLD-97 for NTSC CDV-Singles.

QUALIA SXRD projector.

AC-3 demodulator, Nakamichi DE 1.

Video processor [that Algolith Dragonfly looks nice].

35mm film projector, qty 2.

Custom-built [installed] infinite-baffle speakers with 18" Cerwin-Vega woofers and ionic tweeters, qty 6.

And the HDMI 1.3 audio processors and Blu-Ray players which won't be out until later this year!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The problem I have with that Qualia XSRD projector, is because I've seen three different serial-number units working, all within the span of four days.

They all had critical optical flaws that showed up on a 16' wide screen.

I don't know if it was just because they were the first prototype units with cheap glass for the lenses, or because Sony can't figure out how to actually make them register properly. The red panel was significantly out of alignment; both in actual dimensional offset and rotation. Plus, there appeared to be chromatic abberation over the image, especially along the edges.

Also, unless you're getting D-Cinema source files, you're still generally limited to HD resolution of 1920x1080 (if you're lucky.)

Leo Kerr

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
All I know is that the one 1080×1920 Qualia SXRD unit I've seen [thanks to HTF member TedD, who just about has the ideal Home Theatre] has been beautiful. Even with an anamorphic lens on it to bump it out to Cinemascope ratio, there were no artefacts from the imaging element. Since I don't expect resolutions higher than 1080×1920 to appear in consumer video distribution for a long time to come, I'd be entirely happy with one of those. ;)

chris_everett

Second Unit
I'd spend the most money on the room itself. Great accoustics and soundproofing. If built as an addition to a home, I would suspect the shell could cost as much as $60,000-$80,000

Sound: JBL Synthisis (includes speakers, amps, processing). You can spend more, but I don't see the point.
Cost is anywhere from 50-150K, depending on room size.
Maybe some extra for more subs.

Video: Forget projectors. LED wall, with 3mm Barco LED's
Cost? Not sure, but I would suspect at least $100,000.

Probably another $20,000 for video processing and DVD playback.

A lobby area with commercial popcorn machine, plasma displays, and the full out "theater" treatment

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for your input. I am looking for still more of acutal equipment. Keep it coming though. I like seeing what people think is "the best".
Thanks again all.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Chris, your estimate on the Barco LED walls is way low. If I remember, the 6mm dot-pitch LED wall was about $20,000 for a 17"x17" square. And the power consumption is obscene.

I haven't seen their 3mm wall; the 6mm was pretty nice. I'll have to look for it in two weeks (NAB2006).

Leo Kerr

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Dream HT:

Dedicated Room

Nice Comfy Chairs where everyone can sit in comfort

Large Projection Screen where everyone can feel like being in a theater

Nice speakers where everyone can hear

I've got nice speakers now (Axiom) I'm just missing the large projection (90" or so) multiple comfy chairs, and dedicated room.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
While, I have a great home theater now (not like the above one). My dream theater would require a new house.
I want the first room to be LARGE. A 40x40 great room two stories in height. This will be the gameroom/bar area. Their will be a large screen tv around some comfy couches. A bar, pool table and some coin operated video games. I wanted the height so I can put all of my autograph mattes I have done up. If you see the link to my theater page. You will see I am running out of wall space. :)
Then a large lit sign saying the name of the theater will a mylar light display holding movie mylars will be next to two big doors. These doors lead to a smaller room. This is the lobby. Where my concession stand will be. Off the lobby will be two rooms. One a room for my dvds. The other leading to a theater that looks like the Art's from the above link. Since, I have really only a basic idea of theater equipment. I would higher a pro to make sure its automated, fully equiped and setup correctly.

:D

A dream...yes...So I am satisfied and very happy with my setup now. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/gall...g2_itemId=1873

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks