What's new

Your current GAS list? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There are some nice discounts on Canon RF lenses recently announced. My main temptation is the 70-200 f/4, but I already have the EF version that I use adapted on the R6. The slight side grade would be to lose the adapter and have some slight space savings due to the design, but there's also the fact I don't use the 70-200 as much as I used to, once I switched to a 24-105. So using a highly regarded zoom with an adapter also seems like a more than fitting solution for the amount of use I get out it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Looking through the other lenses on the list, I am curious now about the 800mm f/11. I sold off my 150-600 a while back, so I have been missing having a super tele in the kit.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Looking through the other lenses on the list, I am curious now about the 800mm f/11. I sold off my 150-600 a while back, so I have been missing having a super tele in the kit.
That RF 800mm is on my wish list. I was tempted by this sale, but it's only $100 off and I have some other significant expenses to get through until the end of the year. I will wait until the next sale.

I am also hoping the Canon R7 body-only becomes more available early next year. Right now, Canon is mostly shipping the kits with an included RF-S 18-150mm lens, which I don't need.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I might try to get the 800mm through KEH if they have a Black Friday discount like they have in year's past.

I too have noticed the unavailability of the R7 body only, based on a stock notification I set with B&H a while ago.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Even though I haven’t shot anything in about three years, I keep thinking about mirrorless, now that Nikon has finally gotten serious about it. They’re also having a sale, with a large discount on the Z5, which could be a nice way to explore. The Z7ii would be the ideal, but at 3x the price of the Z5. I have a bunch of stuff I could sell…

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Even though I haven’t shot anything in about three years, I keep thinking about mirrorless, now that Nikon has finally gotten serious about it. They’re also having a sale, with a large discount on the Z5, which could be a nice way to explore. The Z7ii would be the ideal, but at 3x the price of the Z5. I have a bunch of stuff I could sell…
I don't know much about Nikon's mirrorless offerings, but I have been very happy with my move to mirrorless with Canon. All my old lenses worked perfectly on the new body using an adapter, allowing me to transition at my own pace. After about a year, I found that I wasn't using my two DSLR bodies at all, so I sold them. I still need to replace my Canon 7D2 crop sensor DSLR, which I used exclusively for wildlife, but with our more limited traveling since the pandemic, I haven't really needed that setup. Hopefully that changes in 2023.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have a friend who does our family photos and has the niche clientele of local dance studios (she raised a professional dancer and got into photography and the photography business by being a dance mom). She recently switched to Nikon mirrorless and loves it. She also got the Mac Studio and loves that.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a friend who does our family photos and has the niche clientele of local dance studios (she raised a professional dancer and got into photography and the photography business by being a dance mom). She recently switched to Nikon mirrorless and loves it. She also got the Mac Studio and loves that.
Nikon might actually have benefited from getting into it late. Probably not, but they've really jumped into it now. Maybe they learned from the mistakes of others.

Niche and connected is a great way to do photography. I have ZERO interest in going back to that, though. I did a one time job for an old client about three years ago, and that convinced me not to go back. BTW, It was for a magazine article, which I think I posted here. It reminded me what a pain that life was. Also, I looked up the article a few weeks ago, and discovered they'd edited the online version a bit, cut some pics and removed the photo credits. That just shows how photography is regarded in the real world.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know much about Nikon's mirrorless offerings, but I have been very happy with my move to mirrorless with Canon. All my old lenses worked perfectly on the new body using an adapter, allowing me to transition at my own pace. After about a year, I found that I wasn't using my two DSLR bodies at all, so I sold them. I still need to replace my Canon 7D2 crop sensor DSLR, which I used exclusively for wildlife, but with our more limited traveling since the pandemic, I haven't really needed that setup. Hopefully that changes in 2023.
They have six models. Two crop and four full frame. The higher of the two crops, the Z50 looks very nice, but if I got one would probably get used from KEH. In full frame, the bottom model, the Z5 is a real deal while it's on sale this week for $1K. The next model up, the Z6ii doesn't really add a lot for nearly double the price. Then the Z7ii jumps to 45MP at nearly $3K. They also have a high performance model, the Z9 which is around $5K and not what I'd have any interest in, in addition to the price.

I guess the thing is, if I want to continue enjoying photography, I probably need to make the move to mirrorless. The question is whether or not I want to continue.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Screw it. I ordered a Z5 and a lens adapter. I'll check it out with lenses I have now. A lot of them are crop, but I have some FF ones. Then I can get a 24-70 f/4 from KEH to get started. I could have gotten their compact 24-50 now, but it's such a limited lens and it's only about $100 cheaper than a used 24-70. If I'm really happy, I can consider getting a used Z50 since I have so many crop lenses, or just drop crop entirely and sell all that stuff.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I guess the thing is, if I want to continue enjoying photography, I probably need to make the move to mirrorless. The question is whether or not I want to continue.
That is always the most important question to answer. Since photography was your area of study and profession, you have a much different perspective and feelings about the field than someone like me who just does it as a hobby for my own enjoyment. I know where you are coming from. I have my B.S. in Computer Science and spent 35 years in the IT field (retired now). I don't really want to spend my free time dealing with computer and networking issues. I do it only when necessary.

So, the question is whether you can derive enjoyment from photography doing it just for yourself.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Screw it. I ordered a Z5 and a lens adapter. I'll check it out with lenses I have now. A lot of them are crop, but I have some FF ones. Then I can get a 24-70 f/4 from KEH to get started. I could have gotten their compact 24-50 now, but it's such a limited lens and it's only about $100 cheaper than a used 24-70. If I'm really happy, I can consider getting a used Z50 since I have so many crop lenses, or just drop crop entirely and sell all that stuff.

I wouldn't want to go back to a cropped body (for mirrorless) at this point, especially since that seems to counter the benefits of mirrorless plus the Z5 seems quite affordable. IF I were considering another body, I'd probably go for a Z7ii (maybe soon after the release of Z7iii?) and just occasionally use that in crop mode, if/whenever I find that helpful enough.

What I would really like is the 1.2x crop mode option offered on their FF DSLRs (or better yet, make it a reasonable, multi-stepped, sliding scale upto say 2x, if the sensor offers enough photosites), but for whatever reasons, not on their mirrorless so far. I guess they just figured 1.2x doesn't make quite enough diff... though I'd think it would on the Z7 even if not the Z5/Z6. And crop modes (vs physically cropped sensor) definitely work (much) better on mirrorless than DSLRs too.

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wouldn't want to go back to a cropped body (for mirrorless) at this point, especially since that seems to counter the benefits of mirrorless plus the Z5 seems quite affordable. IF I were considering another body, I'd probably go for a Z7ii (maybe soon after the release of Z7iii?) and just occasionally use that in crop mode, if/whenever I find that helpful enough.

What I would really like is the 1.2x crop mode option offered on their FF DSLRs (or better yet, make it a reasonable, multi-stepped, sliding scale upto say 2x, if the sensor offers enough photosites), but for whatever reasons, not on their mirrorless so far. I guess they just figured 1.2x doesn't make quite enough diff... though I'd think it would on the Z7 even if not the Z5/Z6. And crop modes definitely work (much) better on mirrorless than DSLRs too.

_Man_
That's exactly what I was originally thinking. Right now, I'm tempted to sell most if not all of my DSLR stuff. The fact is, my D500 should bring in enough to pay for the new Z5.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's exactly what I was originally thinking. Right now, I'm tempted to sell most if not all of my DSLR stuff. The fact is, my D500 should bring in enough to pay for the new Z5.

I guess I'd be tempted as well... although I'm still glad to have/keep my old D800 so far -- and it probably won't fetch quite that much to bother anyway.

I can't see myself moving to mirrorless teles anytime soon though. The upgrade would seem too expensive for not enough gains (for me anyway) for the foreseeable future... and I'm not really a birder, wildlife shooter or anything of the sort... even though I did buy Tamron's fairly affordable, gen 2, 150-600mm a while back, but never had much opp to use it, especially after the pandemic hit... I do probably have too many teles in the 70-200 though, including an old, AF 180 f/2.8 I picked up cheaply, used, a long while ago. :P

Maybe if Nikon's mirrorless teles are actually very substantially lighter perhaps or Sigma/Tamron/Tokina start coming out w/ good, more affordable mirrorless alternatives, but so far, nope...

And I don't see much point in getting something wider than my 24-70 f/4 just for my Z6, but if/whenever I do get a Z7ii or similar, then I might finally retire the D800 and 16-35 f/4 VR...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think I've decided to clean out the photographic house. Pretty sure I'll just sell all the DSLR gear and the crop lenses, trim down the dizzying array of lenses, and go all mirrorless. The way I see it, long FF lenses can stay and be used with an adapter. Wides, which are all crop, will go. That is, except this outrageous 15mm Macro I have, which does cover FF. My 8mm fisheye, which is full frame on crop, also can be used full frame with a somewhat circular image, when the hood is removed.

I have a 24-70 Z on the way from KEH, and with the Nikon Z 14-30mm on sale, I can get a new one for only $100 more than a KEH used one, after my 5% back from The Evil A. Then, eventually, as Man suggested, I will probably get a used or closeout Z7 of some form. Either the original sooner, the Z7ii once the Z7iii comes out, or a used Z7ii once the used prices get more reasonable. I also want to do an infrared conversion, and once I started researching that, it seems clear that a mirrorless is best to use, since you are pretty much forced to use live view. Since mirrorless cameras are always live view, you still get to use the viewfinder like normal.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, I am going to clear out a lot of gear. All Nikon based and APS-C. So, if anyone here wants or knows anyone who is interested in gear in excellent condition. A D500 and D5500, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS, Tamron 60mm f2 macro, Nikon (all af-p) 10-20mm, 18-55mm OS, and 70-300mm OS. That's most of it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Z5 is here. Unfortunately the adapter isn't and I don't have any Z lenses yet, so all I can do is go through the menus. According the The Evil A, if I'd have ordered it a day later, I'd have the adapter now, but as it is, It will still be another 2-3 days. I don't know how that works. My 24-70 f/4 should be here Friday. I love macro photography, especially with long lenses, and stumbled across a Sigma 180mm macro for a low price at MPB, who I've never bought from before. Of course, I'll still need the adapter for that. I have so many stinking lenses, I forgot I have a Tamron 70-300 for full frame, plus a Sigma 150-500, so I'm pretty set. If only I could actually mount a les to the camera.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is everyone enjoying my ongoing monologue? Does anyone have one of the ultra resolution (<>45MP) cameras? Do you ever shoot lower resolution?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Is everyone enjoying my ongoing monologue? Does anyone have one of the ultra resolution (<>45MP) cameras? Do you ever shoot lower resolution?
I am enjoying reading about your journey, John. My Canon EOS R full frame is "only" 30MP, though. ;) Can't see where I would need anything more for what I shoot and my final output. The biggest prints I ever do have been 36x24. For wildlife, I think I will be better served with Canon's EOS R7 with its 32.5MP APS-C crop sensor.

As for doing business with MPB, I have not bought anything from them as yet, but I have sold several items to them. My experiences have all been positive.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am enjoying reading about your journey, John. My Canon EOS R full frame is "only" 30MP, though. ;) Can't see where I would need anything more for what I shoot and my final output. The biggest prints I ever do have been 36x24. For wildlife, I think I will be better served with Canon's EOS R7 with its 32.5MP APS-C crop sensor.

As for doing business with MPB, I have not bought anything from them as yet, but I have sold several items to them. My experiences have all been positive.
Wow, there's a 32.5 MP crop camera? That's insane. The Z5 is just 25MP, but I wonder how much the general image quality improves over my D500, which is about 21MP crop, but very low noise for the time. How much does the larger pix elements improve the image? IF I get some version of the Z7, which is 45MP, I tend to see myself shooting at a lower resolution most of the time. So I wonder if it's even worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks