What's new

Your current GAS list? (1 Viewer)

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The battery door is made to be removed, for the existing purpose of adding a battery grip or AC adapter.

A bigger concern expressed in a photo group I'm in is what it may do to the camera warranty by using a 3rd party battery. But many people do that anyway (maybe not pros though).

It's a great premise...but I'm not sure I'd be cool with having to remove the battery compartment door.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, the newest version of the LP-E6 battery for the R6 is the LP-E6NH and costs $80. If you join the Kickstarter and it meets the goal, you pay $105. So I was looking at it as $25 more for double the capacity and the other features. I agree, the non-funder price is probably a barrier to entry for most.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, the newest version of the LP-E6 battery for the R6 is the LP-E6NH and costs $80. If you join the Kickstarter and it meets the goal, you pay $105. So I was looking at it as $25 more for double the capacity and the other features. I agree, the non-funder price is probably a barrier to entry for most.
You can buy 3rd party LP-E6NH batteries for about $20 each. I never pay the outrageous price that Canon charges for batteries with their name printed on them. I've had very good luck with both Wasabi and Sterling Tek batteries -- been using them with my Canon bodies for many, many years.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I haven't been able to find a viable 3rd party source for LP-E6NH. Do you have a link?

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks. I've used Wasabi's before, so I'll probably wait for them. "BM" is sort of a turn off, for various reasons. :D

I've had a Watson brand LP-E6 go belly up on me, so I'm a little leary of that brand, too.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Just checked on the battery kickstarter, and they are at $70,000! Original goal was $10K!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I made a minor purchase -- this new Lexar USB 3.0 card reader. The Kingston reader I had been using has always been a little clunky under Windows 10, but it gave me a real scare when I tried to copy files from a SD card from our recent autumn trip to the Smoky Mountains. I received an error message that the card was unreadable and needed to be formatted, which I of course did not do. Instead, I plugged my Canon EOS R camera directly in to my PC and successfully copied all the photos to my PC for processing.

I waited until the Lexar reader arrived to copy the files from the compact flash card that was in my Canon 7D2 from the same trip. The Lexar worked smoothly under Windows 10, and the files transferred very quickly via USB 3.0. Recently I had resorted to using the old Kingston reader via a USB 2.0 connection, where it interacted better with Windows 10 than with a USB 3.0 connection. I think it's time for that reader to be tossed in the trash.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Being able to charge a battery in-camera seemed long overdue, but that's really all the NH series battery provides besides a little boost in capacity. The other features of the X-Tra battery are pretty standard fare in an external battery pack, but to have them in a battery for your camera, that's pretty cool. The fact they took advantage of the larger size of the battery by making into a grip extender seems even more clever, though that is not so much a need on the Canon cameras, at least for my size hands. I suspect a large mass of backers are Sony a7/a9 users, where that extra grip length is really needed.

Wow! That's a lot more successful than I would have expected, based on the price and the battery type being for Canon's newer models (which can also use the older batteries from the Canon %D3, 5D4, 7D2, etc.).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Being able to charge a battery in-camera seemed long overdue, but that's really all the NH series battery provides besides a little boost in capacity.

Personally, I've never had a need to charge a battery in-camera. I find it much easier to use an external charger. The 3rd party batteries I've bought sometimes come with a charger, so I have a bunch of them to keep in various camera bags and on a shelf at home.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Personally, I've never had a need to charge a battery in-camera. I find it much easier to use an external charger. The 3rd party batteries I've bought sometimes come with a charger, so I have a bunch of them to keep in various camera bags and on a shelf at home.

Agreed.

Charging in-camera generally effectively means not being able to use the camera while charging. In a pinch, it might be a nice-to-have option, but hardly a need at all unless one must often travel so lite that one can't bring an external charger and extra batteries along (and yet must still bring whatever charging cord... though I suppose USB-C could help there).

Also, charging in-camera means one more part for potential failure... and plugging your expensive camera into whatever wall socket, etc. At home w/ decent surge protection, probably no significant risk to worry, but since it's probably meant more for convenience on-the-go, I'm not so sure that's really such a great idea... unless you're a working pro who really could use that extra bit of convenience and would probably have whatever appropriate insurance/risk coverage because of the work anyway.

Even still, would you leave the camera plugged in somewhere relatively unattended (for it to really be that convenient)? Seems like just carrying an extra battery or two makes more sense.

FWIW, my Nikon Z6 does have in-camera charging, but I don't really use it. Yes, it's partly because it's quite slow at charging, but it's mostly because I don't find the idea compelling at all. IF I often enough need more power, I'd probably just buy a double charger and extra batteries so I have more fresh batteries to start each day and/or swap midday if/when I return to the hotel or something. Currently, I actually have 2 good, Nikon branded chargers anyway -- one that came w/ my old D800 -- if I feel the need. One of them doesn't need a cord either and can plug straight into a socket. Seems usually better if we simply have better, compact, fast chargers instead...

_Man_

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It was a nice thing to be able to just top off my Sony A7 battery while I was working on my computer, using the same cord I use to charge my phone. With the previous Canon, I'd have to dig out my charger, which I may not have remembered to pack in my bag, and find an open spot on my surge protector, which given the size of the charger and its flip out prongs would ultimately have to get plugged directly into a wall outlet.

A necessity? No, but there were a number of times I would think why can't I just charge up with the USB cable I already have out, whether that's charging in camera or even the charger accepting USB?

But to each his own.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This new RF 50mm f/1.8 may be my next lens. I use a 50mm more than any other prime focal length (on full frame), and it would be nice to have something smaller / lighter than the EF 50L f/1.2 + EF to RF adapter I am currently using, as well as having a 50mm prime in the native RF mount for my EOS R. I never shoot my 50L wide open anyway, so f/1.8 would be fine. Thinking of selling the 50L after the holidays, picking up the RF 50mm f/1.8 and pocketing some extra cash.

I am also thinking about selling my Canon 7D2 and waiting for the price to come down on the R6 or R5. I only use the 7D2 with my telephoto lenses for wildlife, and I have not been shooting much wildlife lately with our travel being restricted to driving destinations -- I think I only used the 7D2 once in 2020. I can get by with a single large body for awhile, and use my smaller EOS M5 as a 2nd body for situations where I do not want to change lenses a lot.

Last edited:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In the past, I've had good luck with the Transcend TS-RDF8W card reader. The only thing I have had to do was update the firmware on it to get the transfer speed up to snuff.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So I have tried out a couple of the Peak Design products, their Capture Clip and the Slide. Ultimately, I find that their products are intriguing and fun to try, but long term they don't have much staying power with me and I find myself gravitating back to Think Tank instead.

Back when Lightroom was competing with Aperture, I was introduced to the analogy of "the one you'd date vs. the one you'd marry" when it comes to evaluating and adopting software or hardware. As things have played out, Peak Design is the one I've dated, but Think Tank is the one I married. Domke may be my first love, though. :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had a bunch of Amazon credits, so I went ahead and ordered a new Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 lens for my EOS R. Hopefully it will be an adequate replacement for my EF 50mm f/1.2L -- if so, I will sell the latter. I plan on purging my EF lens collection some this year, as we will not be going on any major trips, so my lens needs will be minimal. I will probably let go of my EF 70-200mm f/4L IS, Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro and EF 40mm f/.8 pancake along with the 50L. For now, I will hang onto my EF 100-400mm L IS II, as I am not sure what I want to do on the telephoto end of the RF mount. Same with my EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS, as there is currently no RF version of this lens.

Mike Frezon

Premium
I was just about to express an interest in one of your lenses, Scott (for when you were ready to list them)...but realized I need EF-S lenses. :rolleyes:

Oh well.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Not necessarily. EFs will fit on the EF-S mount, but the focal length will be multiplied by 1.6. So a 50mm would be an 80mm on your EF-S DSLR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegekko77
Recent bookmarks