JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am amazed at the number of people I see just using the neck straps that come with the camera. Those things are so hard on your neck if you have a lens with any weight attached. I rarely see anyone with a third party strap when we are traveling.
You're right about that. You can see the big red Canon and gold Nikon all over the place.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Cameron (and Sam).

This is a topic I was actually thinking about this weekend as Peg and I were in Vermont with the dogs for several days and I brought my Canon Rebel with me on a couple of hikes. I've been using the original Canon strap (which is too short for comfort).

This would be a very smart accessory upgrade for me.

Looking at the Black Rapid "Street" strap (reasonably priced) and I like the tripod mount attachment with the carabiner, etc. 99% of my usage is off-tripod...so that seems to make a fair amount of sense. I have often thought that the way camera straps attach to the camera body itself was quite antiquated (and a PITA).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was thinking mainly about the upcoming D5500 and wanted something less bulky, but still comfortable and versatile. I ordered a little convertible one for $15 that sounds like the trick. I'll report back on it once I have it and the D5500. I have no intention of using any large, heavy lenses with the D5500, because if I'm going to use something like that, I might as well be using the D500. The biggest I expect to use are the Sigma 18-35mm (which is NOT a small, light lens) or a Tamron 70-300.

BTW, this hole D5500 thing motivated me to dig out my Sigma 30mm F/1.4 Art, which I had been considering selling. It's rather large and heavy for a 30mm crop lens, but holy smokes that thing is tack sharp and it's built like a tank. A 30mm f/1.4 is kind of an ideal street lens for a crop camera.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
BTW, this hole D5500 thing motivated me to dig out my Sigma 30mm F/1.4 Art, which I had been considering selling. It's rather large and heavy for a 30mm crop lens, but holy smokes that thing is tack sharp and it's built like a tank. A 30mm f/1.4 is kind of an ideal street lens for a crop camera.

I had a EF 28mm f/1,8 lens that I used a lot when I shot with a crop body, so I can understand why you like that 30mm f/1,4. The 28mm was a little lighter and more compact than the Siggy, too. Once I bought a full frame camera, though, I just wasn't using the lens much anymore even though it was compatible with FF, as I didn't have much use for a slightly wide angle faster prime, so I told it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My feeling is, you give it a go a couple times on eBay at $750 and if nobody bites, go with KEH if you know you can get $550.

I ended up selling the 135L on eBay for $675, which is what that lens was selling for there. With eBay, PayPal and shipping fees, I netted just under $600. The price at KEH had dropped to $521, as their price fluctuates based on how many they have in stock. So I came out as little better on eBay, and the swap from the 135L to Sigma 105mm macro added about $100 to my wallet.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm liking the D5500 for an inexpensive, lightweight option.

The drama with the seller I bought the first one from, and received the wrong camera, continues. Almost a month later, they still haven't refunded me for the lens, or for the return shipping. A couple days ago, I left them deserved feedback for the camera, but I'm waiting to get the refund for the lens to complete my comments.

Then, today I get a response from them saying they're happy to refund the return shipping (which is required by Amazon seller policy), if and only after I retract my negative feedback. Oh man, they picked the wrong guy to pull that with. That is a serious violation of Amazon's seller policy. Amazon will shrug off the return shipping and refund it to me themselves, which they did, but I wonder what they'll think of bribery to manipulate feedback. We'll find out. And yes, it is explicitly forbidden in Amazon's seller policy. How stupid can these people be? Correspondence goes exclusively through Amazon, so it's right there in the record of the sale. They don't even have to take my word for it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's an Amazon rep who's taken a personal interest and is watching it closely. She filed the A-Z claim for me, but made a mistake and gave the wrong reason for the claim, so it was rejected. Now, she's kind of walking it through. She reported the email intimidation without me even needing to say anything.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, that's done. I think these guys either are so incompetent that they didn't realize there were two returns in the box, or thought that since there were two returns in the box, they could claim there was only one. There was nothing wrong with the lens, but since they sent the wrong camera, and B&H only sells the camera and lens together, I sent it all back. I physically attached each RMA to the specific item it applied to.

Anyway, even though the seller refused to issue a refund, Amazon forced it on them. They really have no choice, since Amazon has the money.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is a topic I was actually thinking about this weekend as Peg and I were in Vermont with the dogs for several days and I brought my Canon Rebel with me on a couple of hikes. I've been using the original Canon strap (which is too short for comfort).

This would be a very smart accessory upgrade for me.

Looking at the Black Rapid "Street" strap (reasonably priced) and I like the tripod mount attachment with the carabiner, etc. 99% of my usage is off-tripod...so that seems to make a fair amount of sense. I have often thought that the way camera straps attach to the camera body itself was quite antiquated (and a PITA).

I was looking at THIS ALTURA STRAP on Amazon today. I'm wondering if anyone reading this thread has any experience with it. One of the things which I like is that it looks like it's easy to attach the camera and plate connector to a tripod without having to detach the strap first.

Plus, it's half the price of the Black Rapid strap... But that makes me wonder if it's going to be of inferior constr5uction.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My "Q" strap had an attachment plate like that, but I found it kind of clunky. I wound up using a Manfrotto quick release plate, which has a D-ring tightener.

You can see more detail in this photo and the caption: https://flic.kr/p/nJ9U7U

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My "Q" strap had an attachment plate like that, but I found it kind of clunky. I wound up using a Manfrotto quick release plate, which has a D-ring tightener.

You can see more detail in this photo and the caption: https://flic.kr/p/nJ9U7U

My cheapo Vivitar tripod has a nice quick release plate...but no ring like that on it. Since I don't use the tripod with my Canon DSLR all that often, I don't think it's a huge deal if it's a little clunky to screw that attachment plate onto the tripod. In fact, I suppose I could keep the quick release plate attached to it.

BUt just the entire metal plate attachment might not be ideal. A number of reviewers says the thumb screw which attaches the plate to the camera often comes unscrewed. Even with the safety strap, that would make me nervous and I wouldn't want to keep tightening it.

I thought I was on to something...but now I'm thinking I'll go with either THIS Black Rapid strap...or THIS one. I'm now wondering if the one with the wider strap might be sturdier and worth the extra $10-$!5 in price.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pulled the trigger on the BlackRapid Cross Shot. After a TON of research, I decided the wider strap was going to be the best way to go.

I think they're pricey, but I'm fairly confident that I'll never need to buy another camera strap ever again. :D

But, it's gonna be a Christmas present for myself. I think I can wait another two months before putting it into use.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Cameron!

But since Amazon has many options nof third-party sellers (which don't charge sales tax in NY), the difference is only a couple bucks..so I'm going to let my order (preparing to ship) stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks