What's new

Your current GAS list? (3 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I hadn't planned on buying any more equipment for awhile, but B&H Photo had the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 VC USD macro lens on sale for an attractive price, so I went ahead and ordered one today. This will be my first Tamron lens -- I used to own a Sigma 17-70mm zoom, but all my other lenses have been Canon brand. I figured I wouldn't be using this as much as my other lenses, so it's lower price than the Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS macro was appealing, as was its smaller size and weight for travel. I've read many good reviews, with the only negative being the auto focus is slower than the Canon. It should be here to play with on the weekend.

So, I will finally have a macro lens in my arsenal!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John did you find a good Macro Rail?
Well, I got a Cheap One that is actually pretty decent, especially for the price. I see people bitching that it's not good enough for focus stacking, when it's barely over $20. It's surprisingly well made, but I'm not sure it will take a lot of use.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My Tamron 90mm macro lens arrived today, and after only 3 test shots I began receiving an Err 01 communication error between the lens and my Canon 5D3 body, and it will not take a photo. :( So, it's going back to B&H. I'm just requesting a refund. Maybe I'll order a Canon macro lens sometime in the future.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Maybe just try cleaning the contacts before sending it back?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I did some event photography today for a friend who runs a Non-Profit. I shouldn't post them, because there are releases involved and only the Non-Profit has rights from the people in the pics. I don't have any idea if any of the pics will ever end up on the site. Maybe on their FB page.

It's just the first time I've done "real world" digital photography, as opposed to the very controlled stuff I usually do. I'm completely blown away by how amazing the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and (discontinued) 50-150 f/2.8 are. This stuff is so sharp and the overall image quality is unbelievable. Absolutely amazing. It's such a shame that Sigma discontinued the 50-150. They replaced it with a 50-100 f/1.8, which I'm sure is awesome, but I'd much rather have the extra zoom range than the maximum aperture. I really haven't done any event photography in almost 35 years, so I was glad to see I can still do photography on the fly.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Looks to have some decent specs, but the size may be a little big for how I use a mirrorless -- I can fit my EOS M1 with the 22mm pancake lens in my pocket. I do like that it finally has a viewfinder, and the auto focus performance should finally be decent. I do not believe the IBIS rumor, though.

Once reviews are out and the price settles a little, I may pick one up for lighter weight travel. I have two EF-M lenses -- the 22mm f/2 pancake and 18-55mm IS -- but have been holding off investing in any more "M" equipment until I saw where Canon was going with the line. I picked up the EOS M with the pancake during the closeout firesale (cost me a little over $100) and then added the 18-55mm for another $100 later on. So, I do not have much invested in the system.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been itching for a carry around camera. I had been leaning toward the Sony A6000, but once I compared them in person, I'm leaning toward really portable and the Sony RS100 mkIII. Yeah, it's a lot more limited, but it's a slick little camera.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Scott, I was trying to score an original EOS M for cheap too, but was unsuccessful. I love the idea of a nice compact camera and lens with the controls and image quality a serious photographer would want.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
David, those original EOS M's went fast once the firesale started. It's too bad you missed out. The camera has some limitations -- mainly with slow auto focus performance and no viewfinder -- but it takes great photos for a pocketable camera. The 22mm pancake is an excellent lens, the camera supports RAW format shooting, and the controls are pretty intuitive. I have easily gotten my money's worth out of the little camera, and I still use it quite a bit. In fact, we are going back to Mackinac Island soon for a few days and I plan on traveling light this time, so I'm just taking my EOS M kit (M body, 22mm and 18-55mm lenses, 270EX Speedite, Spyder Black Widow holster, CPL filter, extra battery and charger) which all fits in a small Case Logic camera bag.

At some point, if I can find a good used deal I may even pick up the EF-M 11-22mm wide angle lens for the M. It's supposed to have excellent image quality on par with the 22mm pancake.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Since I didn't really have any glass lust for a long while now and my 19" CRT (that I used for photo/video editing) is finally biting the dust, went ahead and ordered the NEC PA272W(!) from B&H on their Cyber Monday sale yesterday. Had held off using an LCD panel for any serious editing for the longest time and finally got this highend model on rare sale.

Figured it's probably cheaper than most any lens I'd wanna get at this point, so why not. Doesn't make too much sense to not get a real good panel since I'm shooting w/ a D800... and it's also still cheaper than any TV or FP replacement/upgrade I'd buy, LOL. :P

Was actually eyeing the BenQ SW2700PT at ~$600 until the NEC got into B&H's CM sale -- it's still a fair bit of a leap from the BenQ, but seems like it should be worth it.

Don't think its PiP/PbP features will be enough for me to ditch the cheapy (but excellent value) Viewsonic 23" I use for my day job though -- will have to see. My workstation desk will definitely be flushed w/ the 2 panels, if I keep using both...

BTW, if anyone's interested, the NEC is apparently still on the same sale at B&H right now...

_Man_

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Now, to finally also spring for a 4-to-5-drive RAID enclosure (and some WD 3TB Red drives) maybe w/ NAS capability. Looking at the Synology DS416j to do NAS (instead of a cheaper non-NAS unit) since my ASUS AC5300's USB file transfer performance isn't that great.

Any thoughts on a good entry level RAID NAS unit besides the Synology?

IF I didn't care about better NAS performance, I'd probably consider the Oyen Mobius 5-bay unit.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks