What's new

Your Comments Please! (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
I have a receiver, its an H/K AVR220, it does 45x5 and can draw up to 28amps under load(more than the denon 2802). It has separate power supplies for the front 3 and rear 2 channels. Now my question is, will this be enough power to power paradigm studio/20's and studio/CC and rear speakers. The 20's have an 89db sensitivity rating and the cc has a 90db rating. Or should I stick with getting the MiniMonitors and CC370(which is what I set out to buy before going to the stereo shop).

Thanks for any input.

Nick L

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
If it were up to me I'd buy the speakers that I really wanted. Chances are that you will have them longer than your receiver. Your HK should be able to power them, as far as how loud I'm not sure but I'm sure it'll be loud enough.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Sean said it all..... go for the better speakers. That'll make the biggest improvement in your rig.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Nick, I didn't want to be the first to respond to this thread because we've talked via private correspondence, but I want to re-iterate how happy I am with both my Studio 40's and 20's. Due to Outlaw dragging their feet on the 950, I'm driving one pair of these babies with a 20 year old HK receiver and the other pair with a different HK model. Both no higher than 45 watts per channel and cannot be happier. The 20's are fantastic. Great bass response from such a small monitor. I'm sure there are better speakers out there, but not for the price I got them (and you can get them). Trust the HK...it will be fine. You'll see.

Marc H

Second Unit
I'd say move up on the speakers too. You will hear more of what that H/K can do. I don't think your current speakers are doing justice to it.

I'm most impressed by the sound of the new Harmans. They really stick out from everything else I have heard. Their D/A convertors are very impressive too. Very open and they made sure the stereo imaging was preserved.

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
Yes... Nick, go for the better speakers.. the 40's! :D
Happy auditioning this week-end. Again, as many will state here, the studios are the better way to go, and like I said earlier, put your money in your speakers.
Phil

Nick L

Second Unit
Thanks for all the advice guys. My only other question is are the studio/20's magnetically shielded?

Thanks much.

Nick L

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Nick, by default the Studio 20's are NOT magnetically shielded. You can special order them shielded, but I think it's an extra charge something like $75 a pair and if you do that you can ONLY get them in the brushed graphite, not the more appealing Lt. Cherry or Rosenut. However, if it makes you feel better, I have my 40's on stands probably about 2" from my TV Armoire and at the dealer, he had the 40's VERY close to his demo HT TV. I think as long as you are at least a half foot or so away from the TV you should be fine. But thats IMO.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
The AVR-220 is 45x5 watts RMS high current power, and should be plenty powerful enough to power (with authority) any speaker you are considering.

james e m

Second Unit
I would say get the speakers you want too. With that said the Mini Monitors are great speakers. I have four of them right now and will eventually be using them as surrounds in a future 7.1 setup. If you enjoy their sound buy them and put the savings towards something else, like more DVDs!
james

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks