your coments on dual av15 please?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Wayne_D, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Wayne_D

Wayne_D Agent

ok i think, with your guys help, that i have narrowed it down to the AV15!

My plan is to build two 10 cubic foot box's with two AV15 in each box slot vented to about 18hz with about 700 watts per sub!

now if any one could give me some coments or thoughts about this set up i would appreciate it?

also has any one heard of American Audio amps?
    i am looking at the V3000-Plus that gives 1700watts at 2ohm sterio..

http://www.adjaudio.com/product.asp?...=1089&cat=Amps

..i read an online review that rated this amp better then the QSC RMX 2450 on true power as well as over all performance!

thanks again for all your help!

wayne

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I wouldn't feed them 700 watts...especially in a box that size...double especially when the manufacture states it's Pe as 500watts. Your group delay gets pretty high down near the tuning freq. Many say that a high GD in the lower frequencies isn't noticable though...I haven't built enough different subs to give my opinion on that to be honest.

I don't know much about the American Audio amp but my own experience with QSC has been fantastic...except for their RMX line. Of the 4 amps I've used (maybe it was three) all of them have had one channel go bad...several times. Of course this was on a production crew that didn't exactly have the amp sitting still on a shelf...IOW wear and tear was higher than normal. But their DCA, MX, and PLX series amps that I've used have been rock solid.

Also, consider used Parasound and Adcom amps. You can find more than sufficient power from them for a similar if not lower cost. Then you have no worries about fan noise either. I could see going QSC, Crown, etc. if you were using something like a Tumult in a small sealed enclosure. But it just isn't worth it with AV12's or 15's in 10ft^3 enclosures. Just my opinion...sounds like a fun project!

- Dan Hine

3. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i have dual av15 in a 700l encloser tuned to 17 hz with 500wats per sub. this rocks. i cant amigine 4 of them. but watch them for cliping and overheating the vcs

4. Chris-Lip

Chris-Lip Extra

I am building a single vented cab for 2 av15s, it will be 250l tuned to 18Hz. I have a QSC rmx1450 for power, should be done by the time my drivers arrive...

5. Chris-Lip

Chris-Lip Extra

Yep, I originally was going to build an ib, but due to my current unsettled housing situation I decided to build a cabinet instead. I started with Stryke's EBS size and then thought, what the hell might as well use both subs. WHy do you ask?

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

7. Chris-Lip

Chris-Lip Extra

Yea, the graph from WinISD is about the same as a single.

8. Chris-Lip

Chris-Lip Extra

yep, 2 6" chunks of pvc, total length about 44" tuned to 18Hz

9. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I get two 6" ports to be almost 49" each. Wow, good luck with fitting that into your box. And good luck with port resonance. F3 of 27hz?! What made you choose this design exactly? [​IMG]

10. Chris-Lip

Chris-Lip Extra

It's all fitted, my box is triangular (prism) ~64x24x24x34,
    is there a problem with the F3? I guess I don't understand the concern as I am new to this stuff.

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

12. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

13. Chris-Lip

Chris-Lip Extra

Ok, now I am really confused, I ran the same size box, amp and drivers in WinISD sealed and my f3 is at 40Hz, isn't that going in the wrong direction?

14. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

yeah i got no sim apps so i was just stabbing in the dark on that one

15. Wayne_D

Wayne_D Agent

So anyways! Hey Dan Hine...thanks for responding....do you have any suggestions that would make my plan better?

16. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Sure, but it's passed my bedtime. I'll get back to you later on tomorrow. Cool? [​IMG]

17. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Wayne,

Just to make sure I'm reading your post right, you will have a total of four AV15's and two 10ft^3 boxes (two drivers in each). Correct? While there are a few things I would personally change I should ask first how you intend to use it and what your goals are.

In a 10ft^3 box tuned to 18hz I get a rather high F3 of around 25hz (not horrible by any means but it kind of defeats the point of tuning low). Though it does have a gentler roll off than some vented subs...almost like you're going for a sealed curve but with lower extension. If that is the case I would go with a sealed design to begin with. At first glance it would seem that you lose a lot of depth but after you account for room gain in the lower freqs. it's MORE than respectable. Around 115-120db from 14hz on up. Some prefer the better transient response from sealed subs anyway. Add the fact that you'll save a lot of space (a 12ft^3 of cabinet for all four of them)...might be better to do two 6ft^3 boxes so you can move them around. [​IMG]

If you want to stick with a vented enclosure then I would just double John's EBS alignment which would be a 500L box (about 17.5ft^3 internal volume). Yes this does SIGNIFICANTLY take up more space but, IMO since you asked for it, it produces a much more desirable response curve AND your porting gets much more manageable.

But, all that said, if you don't want to go sealed and you don't have a lot of room...er, two 10ft^3 boxes?...rather, if you don't have enough room for dual 18ft^3 boxes [​IMG] your choice of design is a decent compromise...assuming you REALLY need four AV15's. [​IMG]

Hope that helps,

- Dan