What's new

Your biggest issue(s) with the Samsung Blu-ray player? (1 Viewer)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Rachael, I wish I would have returned this piece of junk within the 30 days alotted. When I tried to do so, it was too late, but at the time I wasn't too upset because I figured BD would catch up with HD DVD eventually. Now I just want to unload this machine, and the few discs I have. One of the worst purchasing decisions I've ever made.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Well, according to Bill Hunt, the Samsung will play back dual layered discs:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

So, I'm not as unhappy as I was in the posts above(which I wrote angrily right after hearing that the Sammy wouldn't do dual layer). If the Samsung will do dual layer discs, and the new codecs make BD a better format, than I'll feel my purchase wasn't a mistake.

Matt Hetzler

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, after being VERY critical of this machine...I've since come to realise that it was the SOFTWARE not the HARDWARE that was the problem. After seeing what a good mastering (and not the half assed rush job the first discs were) can do with Blu-Ray discs with only 25GB of space like Tears of the Sun...it makes me happy I kept my Samsung player.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
I've had mine for a couple of days and so far, it's fine. Both T2 and Stargate look just fine. Neither have the wow factor of the best of the HD-DVD titles and I'm not convinced there is anything dramatically wrong with the Samsung that would cause any image degradation. Looks like mastering issues to me.

Biggest complaint IS attributable to the Samsung IMO, can't play the DTS track without periodic image stuttering. :frowning:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Larry, Samsung finally sent me the return labels they promised. In fact, they sent them twice. I got one set on wednesday and another set of 'em friday. I'm sending it in come monday. I hop they exchange this problem plagued box for a new production one.....

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I just got mine with the August build and I must say it's working great. The only issue I have with it is I wish there was a easier way to access the PCM settings so you could more easily switch between bitstream and PCM out for the uncompressed tracks.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Sorry for asking but does the Samsung player decode the advanced lossless audio formats like dtsHD and DDtrueHD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks