What's new

Your biggest issue(s) with HD DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Roger,

Several members own a HD DVD- as wel as a BD-player, but they seem to be in a minority.

We don't think it will be very useful to open a third special area for those alone. So, you are relatively free to cope with this problem in a creative way. :)

Rest assured we envy you.

Cees

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
What's the firmware on the player Roger? The updates from Toshiba have pretty much fixed all the issues.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I have not updated the firmware yet.....plan to today. There is a sticker on the Toshiba box that says "04-03-06" which I assume might be the build date. If that is the case, update is needed.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Ron and Cees.....thank you for the quick reply. I did find a thread opened by Robert Crawford in the BD owners area and I posted my reasons for both formats there. I did not find the owners area until today as I was clicking the first options in the HTF opening page and missed the "here and here". The threads I was viewing were useful but were littered with "format war" opinions mostly from members who had only viewed a demo in a Best Buy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Roger,
I bought that same Toshiba player from OneCall too and just received it last week. I had the RCA unit, but I was very concerned with RCA's customer support on these units as I tried to get some firmware updates so I decided to exchange that unit for the AX1. You need to check the back of the unit for the build date because my unit was built in February. I have a firmware 1.4 disc on the way to me which I should have this week after calling Toshiba's customer service the same day I bought it's player.

Edit: The final purchase price difference for me between the Samsung Blu-ray player and the Toshiba HD-AX1 was just about $120.00

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which was our major motivation for opening these new areas. Like you, I bought both formats and I don't want to read all that format war garbage that offers very little value to me and others as HT enthusiasts.

Crawdaddy

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
I really love watching standard DVDs on my Toshiba HD-DVD player, because the PQ is nearly flawless (though, I prefer HD-DVD anyday). The only 2 issues I have are the HDMI drop-outs (which only happens once for a second with every 2 films I may watch in a day). Though, I don't know if it's the player itself, the HDMI connection, the HDMI cable, or my plasma set. Second, is having no Dolby TrueHD (or HD-DTS) in 5.1 or 7.1 as advertised in the Warner HD-DVD discs for that matter.

Btw, STILL waiting for that damn Firmware update disc from Toshiba. :)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Congrats on your purchase Roger. stuff you mentioned

1- I had the same freezing/sync problems with cinderella man and a few Universal titles, but firmware update 1.2 fixed it

2-Its not a player problem. The studios need to author it onto their discs. Universal hasnt, WB has a bookmark function to save your spot. Just press B on your remote for that option. Why Universal hasnt included it is a bit strange

3-I cant stand any of the dvd player remotes

4-Im waiting for the 1.4 firmware disc to come, as i dont want to unhook my player, but some have mentioned the bootup is a bit quicker

Enjoy the player and HD

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
My biggest issue is impatience. I want to spend more money on HD-DVD titles. I need Paramount to hurry up with that Star Trek Collection and Warner Brothers needs to unleash that Rings Trilogy.

Oliver D

Grip

In the US, New Line has the rights for Lord of the Rings distribution, right? Or am I missing something?

Bob Spears

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my HD-A1 for two weeks now and it has performed flawlessly. The ONLY issue I have is I have a VERY hard time reading the remote in a dimly lit room. I have to keep a small flashlight on the table in order to read the remote. The writing is pale and there is no backlight.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My main issue now with my HD DVD player is when you stop play and then resume play again it goes back to the beginning.

JimmyMac

Auditioning
Real Name
James Mc Connell
For myself it's the lack of subwoofer output on HD tittles. I have done all the workarounds listed here and at AVS but I'd like Toshiba to enable plus decibel increases per channel for the 5.1 analog set-up.

I agree with everything already posted. Not sure if this was said but I'd also like a bit rate display for on-screen access.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
My player has refuse to recognize and play a dual layer and single layer backup of a couple of my movies. This makes me somewhat leery of expecting it capable of playing my DVD library. This could be a deal breaker.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

Because the Toshiba does not upconvert copyrighted/protected DVDs. I forgot to mention that in my original post.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

The HD-A1 in the manual does not support DVD+R media however in real life it does. My HD-A1 will playback dual layer DVD+R media if it's the Verbatim brand and all of my DVD+R single layer discs if I use TDK brand. Also the player loves DVD-R media.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I echo RobertDW's success with Verbatim DVD+R Dual Layer media, currently on sale (check the Coupons and Bargains section for an ongoing thread on the subject).

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks