Your BFD suggestions if you please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Mickunas, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I just recently got a house, a pair of SVS subs, and a BFD. So i'm tinkering trying to equalize the response in my room. First, here's my setup:
    Yamaha RX-V1
    Dual SVS 16-46CS+ with Samson 1000
    BFD DSP1124P
    Polk RT-800 (main) CS-350 (center) RT-55 (rear)
    All speakers are set to small. I'm using the bass test tones from Sonnie's site. These values are run at -40dB. When I calibrated with VE I set all the speakers around +/- 1dB and the subs at -18.5dB. For the tests I have my speakers turned off and effect off (stereo mode). And here's my results:
    [​IMG]
    I have two filters set
    34.1Hz, BW 15, Gain -6
    59Hz, BW 10, Gain -6
    I'm pretty happy with my results so far, except for the nasty valleys at 20Hz and 71Hz. I have plenty of headroom. considering where my sub volume is set (-18.5 on the receiver, Samson on full) and I don't think I'm in danger of clipping. So should I give a little gain at 20Hz and 71Hz, or should I try to drop everything down to those points?

2. Keith Mickunas

OK, I added the following filter:
    71.5Hz, BW 15, Gain +10

And I got nothing. Nada. No change. What could be going on? Apparently I'm missing something. I moved it to 20Hz and got no effect there, I even fiddled with the bandwidth and gain a bit and saw no difference.

3. Keith Mickunas

Hey! There's a decimal point on that thing. Ignore the last post. .63kHz and 63Hz aren't the same thing.

4. Keith Mickunas

OK, this thing is fun. I see the best thing is experimentation. I got 71Hz up to 78dB now with a BW of 5 and gain at +6. I'm going to continue tweaking and see what happens when I raise 20Hz a bit and drop down 25 a hair. I'm hoping to get within +- 3dB. Still any advice from the experts would be appreciated.

One other thing. I noticed when my mains are involved, I get some different values. After I do these tweaks I'm going to rerun the tests with the mains in there and see how it goes. According to my notes the 40's and 50's lost a few dB whereas everything else gained, particularly 71 which was up 12dB. This is without the BFD involved at all. Should I be concerned about this? I believe the crossover on the Yamaha is at 90Hz, it seems strange that the mains are cutting volume down in the 50's. Of course, now that I've tamed my peaks it could be completely different.