Your Best Synchronicity Story

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Blu, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Here is one that happened a couple of days ago.
    While writing a email about stagnant friendships and how I've outgrown some friends and coworkers.

Especially coworkers who are either stuck in the past or are so miserable that they want to drag you into their miserable world with them.

My friend replied back that they had been having some troubles with their best friend and that something clicked inside them and said that the email made their entire day better and lots of thanks to me!

Well the synchronistic part of this is something I didn't catch until their reply back and me doing a bit of cleaning. I was drinking a bottle of Jone's Cream Soda and when cleaning up I read the bottle cap, "You will be called upon to help a friend"!

I know it is kind of weak but with all of the context and small details I'm leaving out it is a bit more impressive.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I remember going to the record store where all 36 different album covers of Synchronicity by The Police were on sale. I should have picked up the one that was brown, because I never saw it since.

- Steve

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Damn you Steve, you stole my joke! I was going to reply that I once got laid while listening to "Every Breath You Take".

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Our Health instructor (a football offensive line coach at the high school) would always sing "Every Breath You Take...I'll Be Watching You" during each test he gave us.

Plus, it was great sitting around the neighborhood pool around closing time listening to "Synchronicity" blaring from one of the guy's cars in the parking lot with the trunk opened and facing the pool, while sipping on slurpees with a dash of Capt. Morgan in them.

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Maybe a little more on-topic, I don't know...

When my mother died a few years ago, I was back in the hometown trying to get ready for the funeral.

I walked into the room where she fell and suddenly heard the name of one of her old friends. It wasn't exactly being yelled at me, but it was an exclamation, like "you need to call her, she would want to know."

To this day, I wonder how that name was planted in my mind. I had not seen the friend in over 20 years...and she was still around, and she indeed wanted to know.

- Steve

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I first saw Peter Weir's Picnic at Hanging Rock at a theater in Seattle in 1998. The film had a haunting effect on me and quickly became one of my favorite films. Later that year, Criterion released a beautiful laserdisc of the restored Director's Cut.

However, the original theatrical cut contained a 10 minute sequence that was cut from the restored version and was only available on an old, OOP Japanese laserdisc.

The following February, I found the Japanese laserdisc in one of the used music/video shops in Seattle's University District. Given the rare nature of the item, it was priced rather high and I didn't have enough money with me. I had the disc put on hold at the front counter.

I came back 5 days later (the end of the hold period) to purchase the disc. I noticed it had a post-it note attached to the cover, with the last date of the hold period on it. The date read "2/14/99". The film takes place on Valentine's Day, 1900. I was buying the disc 99 years, to the day, after the film took place. I've left the post-it note on the disc to this day.

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I have an HT related story that might fit. A while back I was at a friend's house in Plano and he showed me the newly released (at the time) Looney Tunes Golden Collection. We watched a few cartoons on it, including one of the classic Roadrunner episodes. On my way home to Wylie I saw a coyote on the side of the road. I quickly determined that I needed to buy that collection.

I have another one that is a little bit stranger and quite a bit longer. Back in '99 I moved from KC to Dallas to work for Micrografx. In 2000 MGX was in bad shape and there were massive layoffs coming. I got an interview with a company that had been started by a former exec at MGX and was heavily populated with other former MGXers. In fact the HR person that contacted me to set up the interview had once worked at MGX. She told me about the four people I would be interviewing with. She also mentioned that the first three had worked at MGX at one time and what their positions had been. She mentioned that the fourth person had not worked at MGX. When I finally met with the fourth guy he asked me about where one of my jobs in KC was located. I asked if he was familiar with the area and he said he used to live there. I asked where he had worked and he mentioned it was a company that you would never know of unless you had worked there. He mentioned the name and it turned out it was a company that I had once interviewed a few years before.

After losing the job I took after MGX I was unemployed for a while and only managed four interviews. Three of those I learned of a connection I had with them during the interview. One had at one time employed another MGXer I had worked with. One had worked for my manager from MGX before that manager had gone to MGX. And one place employed a programmer that had worked for the company I just left prior to the time I worked there. The fourth company I had no connection to, but it was in the building immediately north of my last job. That's the one I ended up taking.

8. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit