What's new

Your All Time Top 10 Favorites - What's Finished and What's Left (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Here's my Top Ten Animated. The first five are already released, the second five have not been released.

1. Star Trek, the Animated Series

2. The Flintstones

3. The Jetsons

4. Jonny Quest

5. Return to the Planet of the Apes

6. Hot Wheels

7. Skyhawks

8. The Adventures of Huck Finn

9. The Adventures of Gulliver

10. Lassie's Rescue Rangers

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
1. Combat! This one's ahead of The Fugitive but only by an atom's width and only becaue of the CBS music edit issues (Fugitive). Since Combat! is one of my Holy Grails I count it fortunate to have this one completed. I was disappointed that Image wasn't able to procure the master elements for their release but the "Worldvision" tapes were adequate for me with acceptable transfer Q. Time-compression is regrettable with the release (most of the S1-4 B/W eps are T/C'ed) but the episodes are otherwise uncut and the color season (5) is not T/C'ed. All in all I grade the set a B+ only due to the previous reasons given.

2. The Fugitive Since we'll get this one completely released, that has to be shared with my #1 choice. I'd have rated this one as a clear #1 if CBS had done this set it's due justice and cleared all music rights with those "Capital Cues" issues. I can't grade this higher than a B for the music issues reason and it avoids the "C" grade for content and show quality alone. It rates slightly ahead of Time Tunnel for that reason.

3. Time Tunnel Except for those "flippers" with this set, it's a near-perfect release, imo. A Holy Grail of mine with stellar transfer Q.. Grade A- only due to the double-sided discs.

4. Bionic Woman (R1) I know, not released yet, but reliable sources tell me that this one's a lock for a complete (R1) release. I would rate it ahead of Time Tunnel but it's not officially released yet. Since we're expecting the same excellent transfers that the R2/4 sets used, and we'll get some interview extras with Lindsay, as well as an English-based S3 release, I grade this one an A+ for now.

5. Leave it to Beaver Without a doubt, the highlight of this year's releases, imo. Shout! did an outstanding job here, as well as reminded me that the earlier seasons of this show are better than my memory had been telling me. I haven't seen any of the earlier seasons episodes in many years. Grade A+

6. Dick Van Dyke Show Image did a great job with this set. It's on of my all-time favorite 60's sitcom's. I ranked LITB ahead of this one but that's due to my "surprise" factor when we heard the Shout! announcement about LITB getting a complete release. I grade Dick Van Dyke an A

7. Donna Reed Show This one's a real blind-buy gem for me. I was surprised at how much this show "clicked" with me. The only question is, will we see this one completely released? Grade: A- due only to the unknown release status.

8: Hogan's Heroes I have to include this one in my top 10 list for now as it's a childhood favorite, stellar transfers from CBS, complete release, uncut eps. That combination's hard to avoid getting into my top 10 list. Grade: A+

9. Perry Mason Outstanding releases, so far. When will it get completed? Grade: A

10. Twilight Zone (Def Version) This one's nearly perfect. Transfers are amazing. A+

Gary's right here: Any given day, these others can be included in the top 10.

Brad's sure right about this: It's impossible to list a top 10 since it changes often.

Mannix: a big favorite, but unknown release status going forward.

Mission:Impossible. Especially the 1st 3 seasons. Outstanding CBS release.

Wild Wild West is right there in this list.

Bewitched is another one.

Big Valley, abandoned in the middle of a season.

Earth 2, a one-season rare 90's choice for me. The only downside is that it's on DVD-18 flippers.

Smallville: Another surprise recent series. But I'm only a "pre-S9" fan of this one.

Black Sheep Squadron: 13 episodes remain unreleased. Hoping for Shout! to pick those up from Universal.

Lois & Clark: Complete release, another favorite.

Lone Ranger Box Set: Another gem.

Rich Man Poor Man: Coming from A/E, both "books". If released, it would be in my top 10.

Six Million Dollar Man: Coming from T/L. Will be top-notch release.

Rifleman: Didn't make the "cut" this time due to the MPI print Q's and incomplete release. If we get a complete remastered set, it's in my top 10.

Animation: Not a big fan here, but "Jonny Quest" is an all-time favorite of mine. As well as The Flintstones.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Regulus

Here's my Top Ten Animated. The first five are already released, the second five have not been released.

I don't watch much animated tv shows these days due to the networks eliminating them from their once great schedules. I guess this current generation of kids don't really care for the old cartoons of the 80s and 90s. :-(

Anyways, here are some of my favorites growing up, in no particular order ...

"DuckTales" - have this on DVD. Not into this cartoon at this time.

"Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers" - have this on DVD as well. Not into this either.

"Aladdin" - yes, this came after the original movie.

"Timon & Pumbaa" - they were hilarious in the Lion King movies and they were just as hilarious in their show.

"Goof Troop" - Like it some as a kid, now it seems dated.

"The Wuzzels" - one of first ever Disney cartoons. It lasted only for 13 episodes.

"The Adventures of the Gummi Bears" - this one came out around the same time as the Wuzzels. I loved it when they would drink gummi berry juice and bounce around afterwards!

"The Care Bears" - "Care Bear Stare!!!"

"The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" - oh gosh, I was SO hooked on Pooh. I think I drove my parents crazy with this one. lol

"Rugrats" - I used to watch this all the time on Nick.

"Ren & Stimpy" - They may have been stupid, they may have been gross, they may have been "out of this world" but boy they sure were entertaining! This one gave me lots of laughs as a kid.

"Rocko's Modern Life" - one of Nick's better cartoons.
"The Angry Beavers" - this was the last Nicktoon that I liked. The others the came after it I didn't care for.

"Hey Arnold" - "Hey, Football Head!"

"Aahh! Real Monsters!" - the design of the monsters were quite interesting.

"Tiny Toon Adventures" - loved the theme song to this show.

"Garfield & Friends" - Gotta love Garfield!

"The Flintstone Kids" - Fred, Wilma, Barney and Betty as kids! And let's not forget Captain Cavemen and his youngster!

"The Smurfs" - I absolutely adored this one.

"2 Stupid Dogs" - this may have been a knock-off of Ren & Stimpy but nevertheless I enjoyed it.

"Pacman" - this one was interesting. Too bad it wasn't aired a whole lot.

"Muppet Babies" - the Muppets as kids! Wow, what a original concept!

"Pound Puppies" - I enjoyed this one --- too bad that it was short-lived.

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" - "Turtle Power"!!!

Before my time ....

"The Flintstones" - love the theme song (seasons 3-6).

"Looney Tunes" - gotta say my favorites here are the ones with Daffy Duck and the Road Runner.

"The Jetsons" - Not as good as The Flintstones, IMO.

Shorts of Mickey Mouse and the Gang - Disney used to air these all the time back in the 80s and 90s. My favorite shorts were mostly with the ones with Donald Duck or Chip 'n Dale. My least favorite shorts were the ones that involved Goofy and his "teachable lessons" in sports.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Originally Posted by TravisR

Like most (if not all) Fox TV DVDs of that era, the Previously Ons for The X-Files are dropped from nearly every episode that originally had one. I wouldn't let that negatively effect your decision to purchase those sets though.

Thanks Travis. I do share a similar feeling on "The X-Files" as Nicholas expressed earlier for "Angel". Watched a few episodes on Chiller recently and got into seeing those earlier seasons again. "Road to Avonlea" looks to be next to complete; I'll eventually get back to deciding on this one.

I am surprised though with all of the releases "The X-Files" was given, no one bother to put them back in.

My all-time favorites:

1. The Brady Bunch-Complete. I do hope for a remaster as there are DNR issues as well as a few minor alterations (i.e. the vacation episodes and a few others missing the squares before the end tag, and one episode missing about 20 sec. of footge.)

2. I Love Lucy- Complete and Awesome.

3. The Flintstones: Complete, with one edited episode

4. Wonder Woman: Complete, but missing the original version of the pilot (two versions were prepared and the one presented is the one shown in reruns; the film is basically the same but the title was longer and the acting was played less campy in certain scenes), and the original title for the first three episodes. Also, one episode is edited.

5. The Honeymooners: Complete but needs restoration work.

6. All in the Family: I have the first four seasons. Acceptable quality considering the history of the taping.

7. The Facts of Life: I have the first set. One episode is cut.

8. Designing Women: I have the first set only. Some minor music replacement.

9. The Muppet Show: Waiting on Season 4. Season One has a handful of cut shows.

10. The Dukes of Hazzard: Complete.

And really tied for my favorite: The Twilight Zone: Best Quality EVER. 'Nough Said.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Completed TV series that I watch on routine basis. Define routine at least once per month

Dark Shadows is my number 1 pick. I have bought the entire series twice not to mention all the compliations that came out.

Peyton Place which has only had 2 sets released

The Time Tunnel

Battlestar Galcatica old and new and yes Galactica 1980

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea

Wild Wild West

Dallas which is supposed to be completed next year I hope

I Love Lucy and Lucy Desi Comedy hour

The Flintstones and would like The Flintstone Comedy Hour

Family the mid 1970s drama which Sony has release only 1 set

Rich Man Poor Man Book 1 and 2 which I plan to purchase

The Lucy Show seasons 1 and 2 and I plan on 3

Shows I would like but have not bought.

Star Trek Deep Space 9 I love this show. I just want to see if it will go BD and reviews here on transfers to Dvd have made me hesitant to buy.

Mission Impossible has been on my radar.

Mannix again on the radar I loved the show as a kid but fear it might have a dated look

Gunsmoke again I sort of lean toward the later years when it went color on Monday nights

Here's Lucy I have bought but I am done with the show 3 seasons are enough

Zorro which I bought but wish we could get more Wonderful World Of Disney shows out. I would like the old Christmas Episode they aired every year.

PBS Mystery The Lord Peter Wimsey Collection I am buying each release

A Fun Thread Gary!!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's a tall order and extremely tough to do Gary! I approached it in the vein of a "Desert Island" collection. What do I have and have seen that I'd be happy to watch over and over for years if there were nothing else available. After *lots* of soul searching I came up with this:

1. Star Trek (Complete - while I own the original transfers I'd *love* to pick up the remastered versions.)
2. Fawlty Towers (Complete - I wish Cleese had seen fit to do another dozen!)
3. The Adventures of Superman (Complete - I'd get up at 6am on Saturday and watch the test pattern waiting for this to come on! I still love it!)
4. The Bob Newhart Show (Unfinished with only 2 to go! I've always liked Newhart's comedy and pretty much consider "Newhart" to be a continuation of this series, especially after that classic last episode. If you add the 7 left to go on that one this turns into 9 seasons to complete it all!)
5. Outer Limits (Complete - This gave me the willies as a kid, but I watched it anyway when I could get away with it. Like others have mentioned it deserves a do-over with a full remaster job on single sided disks.)
6. Batman (None... need I say more)
7. Monty Python's Flying Circus (Complete - This was my introduction into British humor. I'm always suprised to "discover" BritComs comprise ~25% of my TVonDVD collection.)
8. The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (None. Extremely funny series that deserves to be released! It's "only" 4 seasons [147 episodes! - that's almost 7 seasons in this day and age!])
9. The Wild Wild West (Complete - Cowboys, Spys, Gadgets, Evil Scientists, and Hot Babes... what young boy could ask for more!?)
10. The Twilight Zone (Complete - I was too young [not allowed] to watch this when it originally aired and discovered it in college. Fantastic series!)

And now the Honorable Mentions list of also rans. Any of these could be in the "Top 10" depending on my mood, time of day, etc. Ask me tomorrow without me being able to reference the above list and you might see some of these instead. These are in no particular order.

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet - Only poor-average PD releases. I love this series, but as Gary has said the likelyhood of season sets is highly unlikely.
Green Hornet - None and, like Batman, a crying shame!
That 70's Show - Complete
Zorro - Complete
Hogan's Heroes - Complete
The Time Tunnel - Complete
Farscape - Complete
Addams Family - Complete
'Allo 'Allo! - Complete
Newsradio - Complete
The Invaders - Complete
The Vicar of Dibley - Complete
Daniel Boone - Complete

Newhart - Only 1 season and the last time I contacted Fox they indicated it was not on the scedule for more releases.

I Dream of Jeannie - Complete

I Spy - Complete

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - Complete

Get Smart - Complete

And the animation list:

Jonny Quest

George of the Jungle (original, not the awful resurrection attempt)

The Jetsons

Space Ghost

Batman: The Animated Series

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle

Looney Tunes

The Flintstones

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Fantastic list, Howie! As are all the others that have participated. I agree with your desert island analogy because it's basically the same criteria I used to try and whittle my list down to a "Top 10." But there's no doubt that about half the shows on my list could easily slip out of the Top 10 on any given day. And every time I read another poster's list, I keep second guessing my own as I think about all the great shows being mentioned. Sigh...

The one nice thing I've seen with all the posters is that it seems most of us have seen at least 6 to 7 out of 10 released either partially or completely. That's a pretty good number on average.

Gary "while there's much more I want, there's plenty I've already seen released" O.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Yes, there are some excellent lists here! Several could be my own on different days! :)

One thing I totally forgot to consider in the "animation" category are those afternoon kids shows from my youth! While I *did* include Looney Tunes I completely left out "The Three Stooges" and "The Little Rascals". Both of which are complete (even though some "The Little Rascals" are on MOD). These were daily staples of my childhood along with the Looney Tunes shorts. You know the formula: Show a LT follow it with a LR or Stooge short, add a lame host and you have a half hour guaranteed to snag the kiddies just home from school wanting some mindless fun. Do it on Saturday for a full hour and you get *both* Stooges and Rascals. Add a Tarzan and Shirly Temple movie for a full Saturday afternoon of TV fun! It's how I saw all of these orginally. They (Stooges and Rascals) assuredly belong in the "Honorable Mentions" and thus appear in the main list depending... Of course if you then take the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan films as a "package" deal I'd have to include them as well. My sister can have Shirly Temple - I suffered through them waiting for Tarzan - the local station rotated them by going through all the Tarzan ones first followed by Temple and then reversing it for the next go 'round. They did this every Saturday afternoon for years. :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
^^

I'm another huge "Weissmuller" Tarzan fan. I used to watch those on late night independent local stations. Those studio DVD sets are awesome.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Is bandwidth not an issue with similar sounding threads on the HTF?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
My Top Ten (alphabetically):

Absolutely Fabulous - Complete (to date)

All in the Family - Incomplete (although there's new hope with Shout! releasing S7)

The Avengers - Complete (Emma Peel eps, all I care about)

Bewitched - Complete

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Complete

Dark Shadows - Complete

The Dick Van Dyke Show - Complete

I Love Lucy - Complete

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - Complete (in October)

Seinfeld - Complete

Honorable Mentions:

Angel - Complete

The Bionic Woman - Season One coming in November)

The Doris Day Show - Complete

That Girl - Complete

The Twilight Zone - Complete

The Wild Wild West - Complete

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
BATMAN - at this point I have given up

CHEERS - glad to have this finished, the music replacement was addressed above.

LEAVE IT TO BEAVER - So glad to have this completed!

SANFORD & SON - all seasons nicely on my shelf and glad to have em there!

BOSTON LEGAL - I absolutely love this show and glad to watch it uncut! Now if I could get the last season of The Practice that intro'd Alan Shore...

MAVERICK - my favorite western. While I do have the old Columbia House tapes, I WANT COMPLETE SEASON SETS!!!!!!

DARK SHADOWS - after so many years of slowly getting this series collected, finishing this off felt like a real accomplishment.

LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT - my favorite of the franchise!! I have all that have been released thus far but will continue to get em all as they come out.

SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN - on its way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIONIC WOMAN - on its way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honorable mention goes to ALL IN THE FAMILY which I continue to pick up on occassion.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaveCrest

Is bandwidth not an issue with similar sounding threads on the HTF?

If you, or someone else, started a thread asking the exact same question and you're upset that I didn't hunt for it before starting this one, I'm sorry. I just honestly didn't remember seeing a thread asking this specific question.

Gary " ? " O.

Real Name
Karl Pozorski
1. The Simpsons - Not sure if this will ever be complete. I have Seasons 1-13 and 20.

2. MST3K - Also may never be complete. Nearly half the episodes are available. I have Vol. 1-17 and the essentials. Rights issues will probably keep it incomplete.

3. Seinfeld - Complete. All seasons. One of the best TV on DVD.

4. Star Trek TOS - Complete. All seasons on blu. The best TV on DVD. Old school and new effects on the same disk and able to change back and forth with the click of a button. Someone should show these to George Lucas.

5. Quantum Leap - Complete. All seasons. Started off great and then descended into music replacement hell in Seasons 2-5.

6. Futurama - Was complete until it came back from the dead again. 4 volumes and the 4 movies.

7. Smallvile - Will be complete next September. Seasons 1-9, 6-9 on blu.

8. Twilight Zone - Complete. Seasons 1-5. Thinking of upgrading to blu when all 5 seasons are out.

9. Gilligan's Island - Complete. Seasons 1-3. Sparse extras but good quality on the episodes.

10. 60's Batman - Will probably never see the light of day.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
1. The Fugitive - ditto to what Gary said.

2. The Outer Limits - Acceptable release

3. One Step Beyond - One season out, 2 more to go. Not sure how likely we are to see the remaining 2 but at least with CBS there's always a glimmer of hope. If not, I'll have to cobble the rest together from PD releases and my off-air records.

4. Man from UNCLE - Great release

5. The Wonder Years - Never coming out but I have them all recorded in perfect quality off of the ABC run so it doesn't bother me.

6. Twilight Zone - Great release

7. Moonlighting - Great release

8. Ben Casey - I doubt it will come out but I have them all complete in good quality with the exception of a few that are timesped and a little lesser quality. Luckily I'm covered on this one as I just don't see a CBS release ever happening.

9. The Immortal - It would be great to see this come out. What I have now is a mixture of AFN dubs from 16mm that ran complete at around 51:50 and a few from the SciFi Channel hack jobs that come in at 45:30. I'd really love to be able to upgrade this show.

10. Dobie Gillis - The only one on my list that I really need to see released. I have a gray market set that I picked up of dubious quality to fill in some of the gaps that I had. I'd love to see this one restrored and remastered.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
My top 10 lit:

1) Miami Vice (greatest series of all time)-completed

2) Crazy like a fox (not yet released)

3) The Fall Guy (only Season 1+2 in Europe)

4) Hart to Hart (only Season 1+2)

5) Cannon (only Season 1+2)

6) Vega$ (only Season 1)

7) Matt Houston (only Season 1)

8) Jake and the Fatman (only Season 1+2)

9) Magnum (completed)

10) Riptide (completed-Canadian box)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Gary may I change my list???

Dark Shadows completed

Peyton Place if ever completed

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea complete this year

I Love Lucy and the comedy hours completed
Battlestar Galactica and yes Galactica 1980 and the new series completed

The Wild Wild West completed
The Flintstones completed but would like a release of the remaining Alan Reed episodes from 1972
Young Indiana Jones completed "Great Series"

The Lucy Show season 1-3 only

Family that 1976 TV drama that lasted into the early 80s not complete

Lord Peter Wimsey from the PBS Mystery series I am buying

Here's Lucy season 1-3 I am now done with the series

Zorro complete

Star Treck Deep Space 9 I will buy this show at sometime.

Might buy Mission Impossible complete or Mannix when complete

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
1. Combat - Complete

2. Rockford Files - Complete

3. 77 Sunset Strip

4. Cheyenne - Incomplete

5. Surfside Six

6. Hawaiian Eye

7. Rawhide - Incomplete

8. Sea Hunt

9. The Saint - Color Complete, B/W Incomplete

10. Secret Agent/Danger Man - Complete

I could name at least 20 more shows that I'd pay for in a heartbeat but most of them are from the 50's and 60's with little hope of ever coming out on dvd at least by legitimate sources.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
1. Gilmore Girls- Complete and in good shape I'm happy

2. Donna Reed Show - This has become my favorite of the 50's & 60's Sit-Coms, I hope it get completed.

3. Leave It To Beaver - Still the only complete series set I have ever purchased. I suppose that says something

4. X-Files - I only own the first 5 seasons but I love them

5. Rockford Files - I also love many of the other 70's detective shows, but this one is completed so I put it in my list

6. West Wing - Great show, own it all.

7. MASH - Great show, own it all

8. Matlock / Murder She wrote - I know I am cheating by lumping these together, but they just seem to belong together to me.

9. Andy Griffith Show - I love Mayberry

10. I will use this spot to name three shows I would love to add to my collection; Dennis the Menace, The Wonder Years, and WKRP

The next ten that would have a chance to bump their way into the Top 10 would include; Dick Van Dyke Show, Wild Wild West, Coach, Eli Stone

Green Acres, Night Court, Perry Mason, Life, Columbo and Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks