What's new

Your advice and input for 7.2 (1 Viewer)

JaykohZ51

Grip
Real Name
Jake Lewis
Currently still setting up my 5.2. I think I’ll try 7.2 soon. But, the surrounds will have to be placed at ceiling height around 10’. I don’t wanna try Atmos right now since there really aren’t THAT many Atmos movies yet. Plenty of 7.1 tho.

So....is 10 too high for that? The rear surrounds are at 8’ about 2-3’ behind the couch.

Thanks fellas.

Jake

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So....is 10 too high for that? The rear surrounds are at 8’ about 2-3’ behind the couch.

Jake

I would say, "yes." Ideally you want all of your speakers to be at ear level.

JaykohZ51

Grip
Real Name
Jake Lewis
yea...I know. hmmmmm. I just can't given the set up. I suppose I'll hold off for now. It wasn't an immediate plan. I'm still finishing stuff on the 5.2...hiding wires n such. Hanging acoustic panels and drapes.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This is similar to my current setup. My surrounds are at about 7ft in the basement and I also have height channels on the front wall (think Dolby ProLogic IIz), running Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. It's funny, but Dolby's original instructions for surrounds were to place them above ear height, and I find this setup ideal for my situation, as my rears are mounted to an overhang above my seating area.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Is it ideal? No. Will it work? Heck yes.

I have just the opposite of you. My side surrounds are ear level. My rear surrounds hang off sidewalls near the ceiling (there is a term for them, something like bulkhead but that's not it!). It works fine. In fact because I have high back theater seats I think I would have preferred it this way anyway.

And they do NOT detract at all from the in-ceiling Atmos speakers which are about 5' in front of them. There is plenty of seperation.

Atmos 7.1.4 install
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Basement
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Nice, Sam! What are you using for in-ceiling Atmos speakers? While I have a heavy investment in the SVS Prime Elevations [mounted high and to the sides] I may eventually decide to get a "real" Atmos setup.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nice, Sam! What are you using for in-ceiling Atmos speakers?

Paradigm H65x4. And 5 Paradigm Atoms for sides and rears.

I am not a super big fan of in-wall builds but these work great in-ceiling! They made me rethink my bias against built ins =)

I had a guy fish the wires for me and installed em the rest of the way myself. Only had one minor chip mishap. And I'm all thumbs, zero skill or experience in this area.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am not a super big fan of in-wall builds but these work great in-ceiling! They made me rethink my bias against built ins =)
I think they're fine (and the only viable solution in most cases) for Atmos, and acceptable for surrounds, certainly preferable to setting speakers on stands right next to the viewing area, but would you say they are still far from desirable for the front?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Paradigm H65x4. And 5 Paradigm Atoms for sides and rears.

I had a guy fish the wires for me and installed em the rest of the way myself. Only had one minor chip mishap. And I'm all thumbs, zero skill or experience in this area.

Your guy was able to run the wires without damage to drywall, other than the cutouts for the speakers?
I see three different flavors for the H65's. Which do you have/recommend? My room is approx 21' x 11', or 3150 cubic ft.

upload_2018-4-18_17-19-1.png

Just collecting information at this point but i suspect I'll eventually pull the trigger on "real" Atmos.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks Sam!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks