1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Your 1st DVD player vs. 1st Blu-ray player: How much and when did you buy?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mark Butler, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Technically my 1st DVD player was a Pioneer I got summer 1998, but I wasn't wild about it, and reviews pointed me in a different direction.

Returned the Pioneer and replaced it with a Panasonic that I liked much more.

Paid... $250?

First Blu-ray player was a Panny I got in spring (or so) 2009. Paid about $125 for that, IIRC.

Just got my first 4K player last month - $250 for a Sony!

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Not yet on the UHD bandwagon (my displays all work well and I don't usually upgrade displays unless something breaks -- still have two SD CRTs in regular use in living room and kids' playroom :eek: ). However, since my last post 9 years ago, my list of players has grown considerably:

Sony DVD/VHS combo (kids' playroom since 2004)

Sony PS3 80GB SACD capable (was main player but now in kids' playroom--going strong since 2007/8 -- can't recall exact date anymore)

OPPO BDP-83 (given to me in 2013 by friend who upgraded -- I made it multi-region with hardware mod. No longer plays BDs properly but remains in place for SACD/DVD-A duties)

Samsung BD player (in living room since 2009 for non-HDMI Netflix access and BD playback on SD CRT)

Sony BD player (in my home office since 2014)

Sony BD multi-region player for 3-D (with new in 2016 Epson 5030ub replacing 9 year old Sony AW-15 that died last summer). Also replaces OPPO for regular BD

Toshiba A2 (main system) HD DVD since 2007

Toshiba A3 (living room) HD DVD since 2007

Marantz SACD/DVD-A player in living room (since 2004--moved out of main system in 2011)

I expect I'll go 4K in the living room first so my first UHD player will be fairly basic. I'll likely go OPPO in the main rig but as my Epson is only a year old and has fewer than 400 hours on it, it might take a while. (Going back to do a PhD eats a lot into my viewing time).

All bets are off if I win the lottery. ;) At that point, massive upgrades are in store.

3. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    First DVD Player:
    Sony Playstation 2 - March 2001/$449.00 CDN.

First Blu-ray Player:

Samsung Blu-ray Player - September 2013/I don't recall the exact price, but it was under $200 CDN. $168 pops up in my head, come to think of it!

Note: By far, my most interesting playback device purchases have been in the DVD format. Among these included a 5 Disc Carousel (I don't recall the brand, anymore!) that I purchased in the early '00s. I began to see its downside when I incurred a late library charge, because a Monty Python Movie disc got left inside the carousel (I thought that I had removed all of the borrowed DVDs!) by mistake. By the time I received word from the Librarian about the Monty Python DVD case being empty, it was too late for me to rectify this. This player quit working quite a few years go, and I then unceremoniously junked it!

CHEERS! :)

4. sidburyjr

sidburyjr Second Unit

Dick Sidbury
    DVD: panasonic mumble about 289 so far back in ancient history that I don't remember when

Blu-Ray: PS3 (thin model) whatever they cost on black friday -- maybe 350 or so with an extra game (none of which I've ever played)

Other purchases: mostly so long ago that I don't remember when
    KLH DVD player 50 or so
    Samsung?? player/recorder maybe 100
    some brand or other portable DVD player 75 on some ancient black friday
    I'm not going to count drives for various computers although I did buy a portable usb Plextor Blu-ray player for my mac since Steve Jobs was clearly not going to get involved with "a bag of hurt".
    Finally, I bought an Oppo 203 UHD when they came out for 550 more or less. Now all I need is a 4K TV and speakers to put everywhere in my family room (probably after my wife passes away. She is in fairly good health.)

5. jra66

jra66 Agent

Jason Ader
    This is a blast from the past!

First DVD player was a refurbished Toshiba 5-disc SD4205 to go with by HUGE 32" Toshiba tube TV.

First HD Player - Toshiba XA2

First Blu-ray Player - The fast loading JVC XVBP1

Today, I'm still rocking the XA2 (primarily for SD Playback) and an Oppo 103D

6. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    First DVD player was the Sony ES-9000. Paid a lot.
    First Blu-Ray player was the PS3, the original. I think it was about 600.

7. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    First DVD Player, Sony DVP-300 bought in Feb 2000 from the US Air Force Exchange, Patrick AFB, FL. Paid just a tad over $300.
    First Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-330, purchased Dec 2009.
    Coming: Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I don't know how much I paid for my first DVD player, though I did have the Pioneer DVL-909, which was a combo unit that played both DVDs and LDs, maybe cost around $500 used??? I also bought a Panasonic RP-91, and I'd guess it was in the $300-$400 range in the early 2000's.

First Blu-ray player was also a Panasonic, I think the DMP-BD30 (similar vintage around 2008), but it was stolen from the house in late 2008, I'm guessing it was also in the $400 range?

First and only HD-DVD player was the Toshiba XA2 (probably $350-$400 range), also stolen, but replaced with same model, albeit cheaper ($250-ish) since HD-DVD had lost the battle to Blu-ray by then, I think.

First 4K BD player was a recently purchased Sony X800 UPB-X800 for $150. LOL!