Young Sherlock Holmes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Aug 15, 2001.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Alright, maybe I'm one sad mofo but I really love this movie. Unfortunately it looks like it's Paramount which will mean a rubbish version if we ever get one...But I'd really like to own it.
    You can't even get it on VHS over here in the UK. Are there any other fans of this movie out there? *Sigh*
    Theo

2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

YES! I love that movie! But I kinda' doubt we'll see it on DVD any time soon... I'd buy it without a second thought if they release it though.

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

What do you mean, "rubbish version"? Does an excellent anamorphic picture taken from a newly created 1080 line transfer an the best possible soundtrack make a disc rubbish? Please explain?

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Paramount a rubbish version? Because they may not have extras it's rubbish? Paramount usually does a great job with their films, transfer wise. I'm happy they own it as I care more about the film than the extras.
    If it was Warner who owned this title it would be released full frame!!! (It's a family film you know)

5. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    First of all, when Martin Blythe, of Paramount, conducted his poll for what we wanted next year's releases to be, Young Sherlock Holmes was there, with a good number of votes. Since then, Mr. Blythe has mentioned that pretty much all the titles have been taken under consideration (which means so much more coming from Paramount than it does coming from Warner Brothers). So, maybe next year. Secondly, rubbish? Are you kidding? Or just too hung up with extras to see that Paramount releases some of the best transfers out there, with quality sound? True, it would be great to have extras, and I'm glad to see that Paramount is starting to come around to that aspect of DVDs, but as long as it's in anamorphic widescreen with good sound and picture, I say good deal.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Fans of this film who have access to the American Movie Classics channel should watch the schedule. AMC has been broadcasting a letterboxed version of Young Sherlock Holmes. It isn't DVD, but the quality is pretty good if your cable or satellite signal is clean.
    M.

7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Just thought I'd mention I watched this on AMC recently. It has one of the earliest uses of CGI. The 'Stained Glass Knight' segment is short but effective.
    I'm sure that the knight was simpler to render than a dinosaur, but the scene still looks good. I wished the segment was longer.
    J

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

9. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Paramount: Okay, maybe they're good in Region 1 land but I am not impressed. Here in the UK they have been releasing the Star Treck Movies.
    One of them might have been Anamorphic so far but not the ones I want to own (ST 6 for example). In fact people have been saying the the subtitles can't be read when you zoom in on your widescreen TV. Ridiculous.
    Add to that they have released a 'normal' and 'collectors' edition of each. The collectors comes in a cardboard holographic case...With a CD ROM with adverts for stuff on it. 'Nuff said.
    Even the prints are not meant to be good. Generally they are treating their back catalogue in a poor way. I personally think extras are a fine thing, certainly for a movie like The Untouchables but they obviously don't. It's not just that there are no extras but where Warner UK now charge 13 quid for such titles Paramount see nothing wrong with charging 20 quid.
    Yeah, it may be that extras aren't anything but have you noticed how rarely a movie is really treated well if there *aren't* any extras. I always wait for special editions of movies if I can simply because it seems to be the only time the studios really take the time to worry about what they're giving us.
    Anyhow, maybe you're right about Paramount. None of the DVD companies are particularly in my good books over here in R2 land except Columbia/Tristar (seem to have a policy of identical R1/R2 releases and nearly always fantasically good value) and MGM (yet again good R1/R2 cross over and well-marked packaging)
    I would love for them to impress me, don't get me wrong, but if this was back catalogue release by Fox, etc. I'd hold out the hope of something a bit special. With Paramount I know they're going to charge me full price for just the movie which just annoys me.
    Cheers
    Theo

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

11. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

no, no, no, it was TRON !!! Then The last starfighter then Young sherlock holmes...
    ------------------
    Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
    Sony DVP 536
    Old Panasonic Stereo! :)
    [Edited last by DannyS on August 16, 2001 at 09:07 AM]

12. Tom M

Tom M Stunt Coordinator

Actually, 1979's The Black Hole had the first CGI effect: the entire main title sequence. [​IMG]

13. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

DOH!!! I sit corrected. :) Ok, so it was the black hole, then tron, then the last starfighter, then young sherlock holmes! No doubt someone will find something earlier still. Interesting to note that Disney are the major pioneers of CGI! :)
    ------------------
    Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
    Sony DVP 536

14. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Star Wars was earlier than The Black Hole. The Making of Star Wars shows several very early uses of wireframe CGI for electronic displays for the movie. MAYBE 2001 had some, but I'm not sure if they were early CGI or animated wireframes.
    Mike
    ------------------
    Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland

15. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

THRE WERE NEVER ANY CGI SHOTS IN 2001
    2001's screens were all hand animated and back projected. The footage was then then recycled for alien and blade runner and put on to video for the TV screens used.. check out the cockpit of the nostromo and a cockpit of any spinner.
    THERE WERE NEVER ANY CGI SHOTS IN THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS
    From my experience and knowledge all the displays in Star Wars were hand animated and special slides were made for the targeting computers.
    Check out the Star Wars Chronicles book.
    Computer Generated X wings were experimented with between empire and jedi and were never used.
    Apparently they thought the movement didn't look fluid enough to justify hundreds of thousands of dollars in FX
    That actual test footage is on the Last STarfighter documentary
    It's a testament to the artists that we were all fooled into thinking that we were watching CGI. I just hope that that talent will not vanish.....
    ------------------
    Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
    Sony DVP 536
    [Edited last by DannyS on August 16, 2001 at 10:49 AM]
    [Edited last by DannyS on August 16, 2001 at 10:50 AM]
    [Edited last by DannyS on August 16, 2001 at 10:51 AM]

16. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Well, regardless, I also taped it off AMC, in letterbox. decent transfer. Very good movie. Glad Paramount has it, Guarnteed Widescreen. Woo Hoo!
    ------------------
    "Staying home from school?"
    "Yeah, Mom's afraid I'll get kidnapped too."

17. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    What is the OAR for Young Sherlock Holmes?

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

according to imdb.com, the oar for this move is 1.85:1
    http://us.imdb.com/Technical?0090357
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

19. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Alright, so I am quite a few months late. This is one of my eagerly awaited treasures although I know there is currently very little movement. But I did a search, and figured I would see if this film/thread could get any more play. Great little fun film [​IMG]
    Take care,
    Chuck

20. Frank Tran

Frank Tran Agent

I really want this movie on DVD!!!!
    OAR and anamorphic please!!!
    [​IMG]