What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Although Young Sherlock Holmes is finally available on Blu-ray, Paramount’s decision to recycle the already rather poor transfer created for the movie’s 2003 DVD release is a bad one.

Young Sherlock Holmes (1985)

Released: 04 Dec 1985
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 109 min

Director: Barry Levinson
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Mystery

Cast: Nicholas Rowe, Alan Cox, Sophie Ward
Writer(s): Arthur Conan Doyle, Chris Columbus

Plot: When assorted people start having inexplicable delusions that lead to their deaths, a teenage Sherlock Holmes decides to investigate.

IMDB rating: 6.8
MetaScore: 65

Disc Information

Studio: Paramount
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Thanks for the review, Todd! This inconsistency of quality is unacceptable from Paramount. Fans are waiting years for some of these titles to debut on Blu, or make their way to 4k, and are being met with a crapshoot as to whether they’ll be taken for a ride. This film is one that I really enjoy and would have purchased, but there is no way with results like this. And Paramount can expect a reduction in sales as smart consumers take a “let me wait to see what the reviews say” approach because they keep breaking the consumer’s trust!

Last edited:

raphdude

Stunt Coordinator
Todd, thanks for the review! Last week my gut feeling was to cancel my pre order. Very glad I did!
On a more positive note, I did enjoy Paramount’s 4K UHD/BD of Double Jeopardy, an improvement over the Imprint BD. I just hope that Flashdance doesn’t get mucked up/DNR’d to death!

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
After posting this review, I have cancelled my preorder of Dragonslayer.
I'd agree Paramount doesn't earn any goodwill with regard to pre-orders, but in the case of Dragonslayer I believe it's supposed to be a new transfer supervised by the director. So a recycled 20-year-old DVD master shouldn't be an issue.

But I suppose that's not to say Paramount can't screw it up between the time he locks down the master and the files are sent to the manufacturer. Or they send the wrong file.

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
Good transfer, bad transfer, either way Sophie Ward always looks good to my eyes. Seems to me I streamed a HD version of this on one of the services. It looked better than my old DVD, but not that much better.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Good transfer, bad transfer, either way Sophie Ward always looks good to my eyes. Seems to me I streamed a HD version of this on one of the services. It looked better than my old DVD, but not that much better.
It should look spectacular.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Disappointing. Been interested in seeing this again for the first time since a mostly-forgotten Sunday afternoon television airing sometime in high school. I know it wasn't a big hit for the studio, but it doesn't excuse this kind of treatment, especially given its important place in SFX history.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think I have the DVD. I guess I'll just stick with that.

Thanks, Paramount, for saving me money that could have been yours.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
It wasn’t as bad as YSH is described here but the Blu-Ray for ‘Gallipoli” is also an older transfer. Looks better than how this is described but why not just do a new scan? Seems like Paramount is kind of willy billy about these releases.

Last edited:

Robert Saccone

Premium
Really disappointing. If I find it on a really good sale at some point I might pick it up just for the lossless audio upgrade over the DVD.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
I've never seen this film but during its making I had a now forgotten reason to be at MGM Borehamwood and saw a river bank set. Utterly vast and very very impressive.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Really disappointing. If I find it on a really good sale at some point I might pick it up just for the lossless audio upgrade over the DVD.
Honestly, it’s not worth it. It looks bad. I preordered it and cancelled. My brother didn’t so I watched it with him. The audio does sound good. Glad I cancelled.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Despite the shortcomings, I still enjoyed it, and thought it an improvement on the DVD. If course, I had to cut down the DVD cover to make a blu-ray case insert. The steelbook case is in the landfill.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Despite the shortcomings, I still enjoyed it, and thought it an improvement on the DVD. If course, I had to cut down the DVD cover to make a blu-ray case insert. The steelbook case is in the landfill.
Someone might be interested in buying the Steelbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks