What's new

Young Ones coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure if many remember this 80's comedy, but I do and can't wait for this DVD. It was on MTV in the mid-80's, but was really only popular over in Great Britain. I'm glad they're showing every episode (all 15! :frowning: ) with (what should be) a funny featurette. $60 seems a bit steep, but I'm very excited.
From DVDReview.com:

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
This was announced some months back, however at the time of the announcemnt there were no specs so it's good to see those finally surface. A definate purchase!

Dan

PS: Watch out for the special branch.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Darling fascist bully boy,

Thank you for posting about this, you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.

Vickie

ps. YAY!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
P.S. - where did those Fascists at DVDReview get 15 episodes from? There are only 12 plus the Comic Relief special thingie, which I don't think is included on this set (though perhaps it is; the WB/BBC press release doesn't say either way for sure...it just says "every episode", so I input 12 for the listing).

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
12 Episodes of The Young Ones
1 Comic Relief Special Thingie, extended Das Boot Edition
1 Filthy Rich & Catflap pilot
1 Bottom pilot
=15 eps.? It's possible?
In any event, this set will be mine, oh yes, it will. :D

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry David, didn't mean to step on your toes! :D
I was thinking 12 sounded kind of high, too. I think Ben may be right - they were counting the 2 pilots and the Comic Relief in the total.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Still, $59.98 is WAY too much dough. Hopefully we can find some decent discounts...
:)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ben, you may be right about that count! :)
Pete, my toes are okay! :D
Dave, if you follow my link to the TVShowsOnDVD listing, there are links to three e-tailers. The bottom one, DVDPlanet, is preselling this set for $41.99...is that better? :wink:

This falls into the “Instant Purchase” category.

Wow, I can’t wait, what a flashback this is goanna be.

I never realized there were only 12 episodes.

If the list is $60, minus 30%= $42

Having every episode is worth forty two dollars.

Now if we can only talk the people at SRE to release the Speed Racer Box at a price the average working man can afford……

Jerry

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
I remember reading something about the episodes being cut/uncut... Were the episodes cut in some way when they originally aired? Each episode runs over 30 mins so could there be an issue of cutting them down to fit a time slot. Will the dvd's be uncut?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
A good way to make the extra money to buy this set is to get a job with the police force...of course, you might have to cut your hair.
Sure this is yet another thread talking about this release, but who cares, we're just so excited. I'm sure we still have 3-4 Strange Brew threads yet to go as well. :)

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
Hoping for replys to the question if the dvds are cut/uncut...
This does not look promising:

Link Removed
Note that the tapes are not issued in order of broadcast release, and the videos have been edited, presumably for copyright reasons.
Cash
Cash was edited, so as not to feature the "Subterranean Homesick Blues" musical segment. What happens is that SPG shouts "Don't tell 'em you're a pacifist!" and there's a crossfade to outside the recruitment office, with new incidental music.
Nasty
The sequence of Neil in the darkened bathroom singing "Hello Darkness, my old friend" has also been cut out.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
First of all, click Link Removed to get to the proper page Mikko refers to and quotes.
Mikko, that refers to the USA *videotape* release of TYO from quite a while back, and should have no bearing on the R1 DVD release. The discs should contain complete shows identical to the version of the episodes on the R2 DVDs, since BBC is producing both.
I expect to receive review copies of the DVD as soon as they are made available. I have only seen the show on MTV, and how long ago was that? 15 years ago? I doubt I can attest to the completeness of the episodes on the DVDs; I'm not qualified. But I will attempt to do so by comparing to info on websites like this one. If you can, help me out with links to other sites that describe cuts to the show. I will see if those edits were made or not, and say so in my review. Howzat?

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds good to me. I'll be waiting for the info. After comparing the discs with the website info, it would be good to list the running times of eac episode, so we could compare them to the vhs versions some of us have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks