What's new

Young men not impressed with current movie crop (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The survey doesn't say they aren't watching the movies, just that they're watching them at home (when they're not playing videogames).

M.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
It's a very simple equation absolutely anyone can do regardless of education or taste in film.

Ticket prices are too high and dvd prices too low. Why should anyone take a family or a date to see a movie when you can buy an above average dinner and a DVD for the same price as concessions and two tickets?

Their is one sure way to end the box office slump, lower ticket prices to $5-7 for premium tickets and $4 matinees. It may seem crazy now but that was the average twelve years ago, and my family certainly went to a lot more movies together when tickets only cost twenty dollars for all four or five versus forty dollars for all four or five. Nowadays the whole family may go out for a movie once or twice a year, with scattered bits of us catching other movies in theatres (I see the most). But for the most part we rent or buy. My family probably buys ten times the amount we bought twelve years ago. Used to be the only videos we had were from one columbia house subscription, taped off TV, Disney and McDonald's promotions, on average our household probably bought three or four videos a year, including gifts, now they probably buy ten for themselves and another ten-twenty for gifts a year.

On the other hand DVD purchasing levels off after about two years of owning a player because most people 'have enough' and realize they don't really need or watch all the films they have anyway. And successful box office fuels successful DVD, the two window system is essential to maintain DVD sales and as ticket prices have risen and DVD penetration has leveled off growth projections for DVD have taken a big hit.

Lowering ticket prices would go a long way to improving box office and dvd sales, moreso than an improvement in the quality fo films.

On the otherhand competition for time from other media such as games and internet makes advertising more expensive, just as cable and video did before them.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
too many sucky remakes coming out these days and a lot of movies are just painful to sit through.

I've seen the two that I wanted to see this year -

Batman Begins
Serenity

Waiting for War of the Worlds and Michael Jackson and the Chocolate Factory to hit DVD.

Don't really care about King Kong..

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It was Seth that make this terrific analogy: By that logic, people wouldn't eat out at all, and restaurants would vanish, since you can cook at home...

--
H

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

While at the same time, if you have an impressive home theater system there's no better way to show off your finanicial security then parading her/him into it and watching a recent DVD release or asking him/her what movie they want to watch from your extensive DVD collection. Then, of course, there are no ushers to interrupt anything else you may end up doing during the film. :)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
There are many drawbacks to a theater granted. But there is still something so magical and exciting about going to see a movie on the big screen. No matter how great your home entertainment system is, there's just something different when you're sitting with complete strangers to see a movie and you feel the collective responses to said movie. For me, I definitely hope home theater NEVER takes over as the big screen is a feeling you can't get at home. If they were to release a new film that I was really excited about day and date theater and DVD, I would see it first in the theater.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Don't feel the need to save me a seat. As soon as 1080p projectors fall in the 'under $2500' class, I shall have a home cinema that shall outperform any and all theaters in a 300 mile radius.

Even if I didn't I really, really hate cellphone chatters during a movie anyway. :D

Now going on 14 months of not having to set foot in a theater. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Is ANYONE impressed by the current crop of movies?

That's not a joke. Stuntmen and carpenters are out of work because of piracy. Now they use digital effects because they can't afford them.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's been a pretty good fall so far, what with The Constant Gardener, A History of Violence and Serenity. And there's some excellent stuff in limited release that may go wider, such as Good Night, and Good Luck.

I wasn't thrilled with the summer, but since Labor Day there have been more releases that I want to see than I've had time for (and that's averaging two trips to the theater every week).

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks