What's new

You'de think someone would design a decent cd case (1 Viewer)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Talk about a cheap design on these flimsy plastic tabs that break if you're not careful opening and closing them, and I know it's not just me. LOL

John Watson

Screenwriter
The CD jewel case is about the worst new product of the past 20 years.
How it was we went to compact, safe storage of music on little disks, then piggybacked a heavy klutzy fragile plastic nightmare on top of it, is a real illustration of the old saying about "two steps forward, three back" :)

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
For me, the worst of these has got to be the cases designed to hold a two disc set in the space of a single disc jewel case. Argh! Is it only me who seems to struggle getting the second disc out with any relative ease? I always worry that I'm going to break either the disc or the case trying to remove that second disc. Despite them taking up twice the space, I GREATLY prefer the original multiple CD jewel cases.

Now if we could only get the manufacturers to all adopt the easy to open shrinkwrap pull tabs! *LOL*

John Watson

Screenwriter
Yes, those ones are really flimsy.

You've probably noticed that some of that design have the center fold that hinges to the case at the spine. That's not too bad.

But some (unfugging believable) actually are hinged at the outer edge of the jewel case back.

Since its the centrefold that holds the 2 disks, its weight stresses the whole flimsy mechanism when you're trying to extract a disk.

I've become convinced that good design is a great rarity in this world.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i can't remember the company, but the ones who released those "gold" cd's a few years ago had really great cases.

you opened the case and it "elevated" the middle part, thereby lifting the cd off the surface, making it very easy to grab. at the same time it was elevated the middle round thing-a-ma-jig shrunk, thereby releasing the lock on the cd.

very cool design.

John Watson

Screenwriter
A few artists, and one label (32 Records) have occasionally used semi-cardboard cd jackets, folding like old double album LP's, much lighter than the fragile plastic of jewel cases.

I think some of the Verve Jazz cds have also used that format.

DennisK

Agent
i can't remember the company, but the ones who released those "gold" cd's a few years ago had really great cases.
It was mobile fidelity sound labs. I always assumed either they had patented it or it added too much to the price of the CD for it to be used on regularly priced CDs. It is the best design I've seen.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
think some of the Verve Jazz cds have also used that format.
Yes. And Impulse! and the Atlantic fancy remastered CDs. I've also seen it on some independent releases.
DCC gold discs also use the Mo-Fi style cases, which are great (though it did take me a bit to figure it out :b ).
I actually like the double-CD jewel cases that are the same size as a single. I love it when things take up as little room as possible.
NP: Kenny Burell, Blue Lights vol 2, packaged in one of those slim double CD jewel cases. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks