1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

You'de think someone would design a decent cd case

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Karl_Luph, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Talk about a cheap design on these flimsy plastic tabs that break if you're not careful opening and closing them, and I know it's not just me. LOL

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

The CD jewel case is about the worst new product of the past 20 years.
    How it was we went to compact, safe storage of music on little disks, then piggybacked a heavy klutzy fragile plastic nightmare on top of it, is a real illustration of the old saying about "two steps forward, three back" [​IMG]

3. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

For me, the worst of these has got to be the cases designed to hold a two disc set in the space of a single disc jewel case. Argh! Is it only me who seems to struggle getting the second disc out with any relative ease? I always worry that I'm going to break either the disc or the case trying to remove that second disc. Despite them taking up twice the space, I GREATLY prefer the original multiple CD jewel cases.

Now if we could only get the manufacturers to all adopt the easy to open shrinkwrap pull tabs! *LOL*

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Yes, those ones are really flimsy.

You've probably noticed that some of that design have the center fold that hinges to the case at the spine. That's not too bad.

But some (unfugging believable) actually are hinged at the outer edge of the jewel case back.

Since its the centrefold that holds the 2 disks, its weight stresses the whole flimsy mechanism when you're trying to extract a disk.

I've become convinced that good design is a great rarity in this world.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i can't remember the company, but the ones who released those "gold" cd's a few years ago had really great cases.

you opened the case and it "elevated" the middle part, thereby lifting the cd off the surface, making it very easy to grab. at the same time it was elevated the middle round thing-a-ma-jig shrunk, thereby releasing the lock on the cd.

very cool design.

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

A few artists, and one label (32 Records) have occasionally used semi-cardboard cd jackets, folding like old double album LP's, much lighter than the fragile plastic of jewel cases.

I think some of the Verve Jazz cds have also used that format.

7. DennisK

DennisK Agent

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer