"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Anthony, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

THE ITALIAN JOB

Well here goes my first mini-review for the HTF, this is a review of the Paramount R2 PAL release, but i'm sure the R1 will not differ much, whenever they decide to issue it...

I'm not gonna give much away about the film content, except to say it's a British classic involving a crime caper, the mafia and starring Michael Caine, Benny Hill & Noel Coward and deserving of all the praise it has received over the years...if you like car chases, can "get" British humour and understand cockney accents, you'll love it!

This disc is fantastic! For a start the disc packaging has been made out of a cardboard slip-case, unlike any other I've seen, making it stand out on the shelf.

The quality of the Panavision transfer is nothing short of phenomenal, given that this film is now in it's 33rd year - the anamorphic 2.35:1 (approx) image is fantastic with bright 60's colour and crisp and clear detail and looks very film-like, there was little grain and very few film-artifacts. Some sort of master negative/positive element must have been used in the transfer and has been cleaned up with extreme care.

The sound has ben remixed into Dolby Digital 5.1 from it's original theatrical mono (a restored mono track is also included) and it sounds so authentic you could almost believe this was how it ws originally released in 1969...screen stereo panning is used to full effect, but surround use is minimal.

The thunder and roar from the engines of those Mini's, Jag's and Aston's has been captured to full effect. The clarity and stereo soundstaging of the Quincy Jones music is also unprecedented, again I can but presume original stereo 1969 masters were used to create this new mix.

Supplementals have also not been left out, there is a near 70 minute documentary on every aspect of the making of the film including interviews with several of the surviving cast and crew, the theatrical trailer, a deleted scene where the Mini's are dancing to the Blue Danube (!) all of which are pesented in anamorphic widescreen too - plus there's a commentary by the film's producer and IJ expert Matt Field.

So to sum up for an on-line price of £15..if you like this film you can't go wrong

M

Equipment used for the review:

Loewe Vitros 32" 16:9 Monitor, ISF Calibrated
    Arcam FMJ DVD Player
    Roksan Audio Sound Processor/4 Channel Power Amp
    (4.0 quad surround set-up, phantom centre and bass channel)
    Martin Logan Aeon speakers for front stereo
    B&W CDM 1 speakers for rear stereo
    Better Cables S-Video/Digital Coax/Loudspeaker leads

2. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

I remember this movie. It made the mini cooper a star.

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

This was taken off the schedule here in Region 1 by Paramount. I have no idea when it will be put back on. After reading your review I'm itching to go ahead and pick up the region 2 DVD.

Does anyone know why Paramount took this off it's schedule?

4. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Cheers Mark for the review.

Real shame about the R1 being put on the back burner.

5. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist

Paul
    The reason it may have been pulled off the schdule is that it is being remade next year with Mark Whalberg, Edward Norton, Charlize Theron, Jason Statham and Donald Sutherland. It's mostly set in LA so how the Italian comes into remains to be seen. I would assume they'll re-release the original now as part of the promotion for this remake.

6. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

7. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" sounds like a quote I've heard before, but I'm pretty certain I've never seen this movie ("THE ITALIAN JOB"). Would I have heard this, or something extremely similar, somewhere else?

8. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

It's quite a popular quote - I'd heard of it long before I even knew what film it was from, let alone seen it.