you were not kidding about the RP82

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Shelly, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I got an open box RP82 from OneCall delivered on Wednesday. My unit was brand new but had a torn box. The unit inside was untouched and all accessories were in factory sealed packages. My unit was brand new but could not be sold as new because of the damaged box.

Since I purchased an RP62 on Monday I was already familiar with the set up. After hooking it up set up only took moments.

First impressions between the RP62 and RP82. I personally find the brushed silver faceplate on the RP62 to be better looking then the RP82's mirrored face plate. Other then that they are much the same looking unit. If I was a rep from Panasonic I would have these faceplate's swapped.

Since I just received SIGNS I used this movie as reference. The transfer is not the best but the movie is loaded with enough information to keep multiple viewings enjoyable. I first watched it on the RP62 and found the picture to be very good. I did not notice any Chroma Bug unlike my Toshiba SD-K710 (SD3800) but I could still see some minor artifacts.

Today I screened SIGNS again this time using the RP82. Holly MOLLY...you people were not kidding. I found the colors more vibrant and the picture to be artifact free. Maybe a slight level of grain that is part of the picture but that is it. It is also the first DVD player I have had that does not have that plastic look to the picture. The picture is also very 3D looking. I could not see any ringing with any colors at all on this player. The picture is absolutly stunning. Because of the picture was so clean the little details really stood out. Overall I am very impressed with the RP82.

I sure hope the new RP85 has the same video processing as the RP82. Others deserve the great picture this unit puts out.

2. Bryan Guth

Bryan Guth Agent

Welcome to my world! I continue to marvel at what this under-$300 (heck, under $250) player can do with DVDs. It is a marvel.

3. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Yeah Bryan,

This player continues to amaze me as well. I gave Star Wars: Attack of the Clones a try today....WOW. The level of detail and clarity is amazing.

I also finely finished running SIGNS on my 3 Progressive players and my first generation RCA 5200P. I found one scene of interest that helped me decode each players abilities. It is chapter 11 starting at 50:44 and running until 50:57. It is the scene when he was sitting with his kids looking at the book. I was using the text in the book to see if I could read it or not. On the RP82 it was totally clean and could easily read it. it was also very clean on the RP62 but I noticed a slight amount of bleed between the black letters and white paper. On my Toshiba SD-K710 (Costco SD3800) The bleed was much more severe to the point that I could barely make out what it was saying. Finely I tried my first generation RCA 5200P interlaced player. The detail was so broken I could not make out anything. The letters were just a blur.

The RP82 is definitely the clear winner using this little test. This level of detail translates into a clearer picture during the whole movie.

I have heard allot of negative reviews toward the RP62. This is mostly because it does not stack up to the RP82 and it really does not. But by itself it is very good player in my opinion. I would consider one for $129 at Best Buy or Circuit City.

4. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone found an RP82 in the Toronto area?

5. Steve_Cohen

Steve_Cohen Stunt Coordinator

I ordered an open box rp82 from crutchfield on friday. Should be here on monday. I was already psyched about getting it and compare it to my 3.5 year old Sony s330. Now I'm really psyched!

L8R