What's new

You think this can be true? Star Wars soundtracks on multi-channel SACDs?? (1 Viewer)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
The current discs on the store shelves are stereo CDs.

The original master tapes were transfered using the DSD digital recording format; however, the CDs are downconverted (or "Super Bitmapped") to standard Red Book 16-bit/44.1kHz PCM audio.

My contact at the Sony SA-CD Project tells me that there are no current plans to release these titles as SA-CDs, which is a head scratcher, but I'm trying to get additional clarification from someone at Sony Classical. Still, doesn't look good. Will post here if I'm able to get more info.

Cheers,

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
But the end product is PCM, I found that logic rather questionable.If this was released as an SACD then it would make more sense.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I couldn't get the software from the web site to recognize the CDs in the drive. It could be that the software was written for a machine with one drive in it, my machine has two. I shot off an email to them and got nothing back. I could try it at home but that machine has two drives in it also.

Mike

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I bought the CD box set last week. I just found time to go through it. This may be a dumb question but this was my first purchase of the soundtracks on CD. Was this bonus on the last release?

This concerns the Star Wars(ANH)2-CD set. Tonight I was listening to the first CD of this set on a Sony CD Walkman. The last on the first CD is #13-Archival Bonus Track Binary Sunset(Alternate). The music ends at 2:19, but instead of the CD shutting down like any other I own, it keeps going with no sound. I fast forwarded and after I crossed the five-minute mark, I hear a man suddenly say "Take 16" and they begin to play the Star Wars main title theme. They do it over and over. Before take 18, you hear a man clear his throat before saying "Take 18". This goes all the way through Take 20. In the end, #13 ends at the 17 minute mark. The time shown when you first put the CD in the player is a giveaway that there is more than what's listed. Is this old news or is this set the first with this bonus thrown in? It's odd that they stuck these takes after almost 3 minutes of silence following the last track.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Not letting this Star Wars soundtracks on SACD die down....

While passing my time at work today, I browse thru Hong Kong Sony's website. There is a listing of SACD titles that I assume get distributed in Hong Kong. Amongst the 153 titles on the list, an item of interest....

Soundtrack to Star Wars: Episode II

Release date being October 2002

Hmmmmm....

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
That is the only listing I can find on that album. Sounds like vapor ware to me.

And do you have a link to that Hong Kong site and the Attack of the Clones SA-CD disc?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

There's no direct link to the title in question, but you can go
here, select "SA" (as in Super Audio) in Genre, click "Search", and look in the "J" listings (page 2). You will also find Jessica Simpson's "Irresistible" as a SACD release. I think more vaporware.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
My point exactly,while I don't know if Sony did go back to the analogs or just used the existing PCM masters,if however the end medium is PCM, I don't see point using DSD at any point.
Slightly OOT, it seems the 2ch layer of Norah Jones's Come Away.... used the low rez PCM masters for the SACD release,there is an interesting article in the latest Stereophile regarding this.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Yeah, I read that Stereophile piece and it has me concerned. I really hope this is just an anomaly and the labels don't take this cheap and easy way out. At least the Star Wars soundtracks weren't issued on SA-CD this way. I can't imagine Sony doing this since they have a vested interest in the format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks