you need to call the billing department if you want to pay

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jun 24, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

well. i went to a doctor's office to make an appointmet for my wife. this is our 3 third visit, and we havent gotten any bill yet.

so i told them i was willing to pay right there, "just charge my credit card". but they told me to call the billing department, and they didnt want to do that for me.

well, i think they are retarded. how come they make it hard for a nice customer like me to pay??? if they sent a debt collector to my place, can i sue them?

i WONT call them. it is just ridiculous. if they want me to pay, make it easy for me to pay.

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I agree with you.
    I switched doctors over a similar issue. They don't let you pay when you come in. They do, however, send a bill - generally six or more months after your appointment. By then I've completely forgotten about it and have to call to clarify. When you call, they refuse to answer your questions and always insist they'll have someone from the billing department call you back. Except, they never return the call. Ever.
    They once sent me a bill for a visit that was over 2 years old along with a notice that they were "reviewing their accounts". I refused to pay. I told them if they wanted payment in the future they would have to send me a bill within a reasonable time frame. For all I know I could have paid that bill any time within those two years. I would have had to review all of my checkbooks, bank and credit card statements for the past two years to make sure I wasn't getting billed twice (This same place has billed me in the past for visits I'd already paid for). While I had most of the paperwork filed away, it would have taken hours to go through it all, which is completely unacceptable.
    Thankfully, their billing department apologized when I called and said they would write off the 'debt'. I was fully prepared to fight them over it, however, had they pressed the issue.
    When we quit going to that office (Nothing wrong with our doctor - there are multiple docs in the building and they outsource their billing), I wrote a nasty letter to their billing head and copied my doctor on it. Shortly afterwards they found another company to outsource billing to. We returned back to them, but there are still problems. They do, however, usually manage to get me a bill within 4 months of my visits and sometimes they answer the phone... [​IMG] But the other office we went to had similar problems and worse doctors...

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

d'oh!

i thought i was the only one with this problem. maybe they just dont have any idea why they use computers all around their offices.

4. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

Around here, it's the opposite. Every doctor has a sign in the office saying payment is expected when services are rendered. (If insurance is covering part of the payment, you wait to get billed for your part, but if you're paying yourself.) I pay on the way out just like when I eat at Spago's with my wife, Morgan Fairchild.