You need to buy Aerosmith's "Honkin' On Bobo".

Discussion in 'Music' started by Nick Graham, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I've been listening to this disc all week at the gym, and it is phenomenal. I was kind of losing faith after the last album (though it had a couple of keepers), but this album contains no hideous, generic ballads or Top 40 friendly pop, just old fashioned, "Rocks" era blues. It's not the second coming of "Toys In The Attic" or "Rocks", but it's closer than I ever though possible. Jack Douglas has exorcised the studio pleasing demons from Steven Tyler's soul.

2. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

after listening to the 1st 5 tracks i'd have to agree imho this was the album aerosmith was destined to make

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Cool. Personally, I don't think they've done anything good since Done with Mirrors. [​IMG]

4. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I don't see how anyone could call "Done With Mirrors" "good". I see the distinction between "classic Aerosmith" and "Embaerosmith" occuring between "Rock in a Hard Place" and "Done With Mirrors". Neither of these two albums was particularly great but on "RIAHP" they were trying to maintain their classic sound but on "DWM" they were trying to become "Aerosmith: The 80's Version". Add the beginning of their divergence from classic 70's blues-rock to the fact that they were at their lowest point drug-wise on "Done With Mirrors" and you have the worst album of their career. Unfortunately, I think the only good album they've done since they signed with Geffen is "Pump" but it's still not "classic Aerosmith", which I'm hoping this new album will be.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have both the Cee Dee and the LP on the way (Yes, I said LP. They had it listed at Elusive Disc, so I said WTF? Might as well give it a shot.),

But I think I'll be sucking hind tit to you guys for a couple weeks, between Amazon free shipping which is cool if you like to wait forever for things, and a business trip, I will be jonesing for this one for sure.

Damn!

Since this is a Blues thread, anyone check out the new Clapton Robert Johnson disc? Thats on the way too. I heard some cuts on XM, and it sounded really, really good.

BGL

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

BGP- Like I said, "Personally, *I* don't think..." Allmusic.com gave it 4 out of 5 stars and said:

I agree that Rock in a Hard Place wasn't that good. Didn't even have Joe Perry or Brad Whitford on it. And I do believe that Mirrors was their first disc *without* all the drugs. Remember? Drugs, Night in the Ruts, Joe left, RiaHP, Joe came back, and they've been clean ever since.

Anyways, I ordered my copy of the new one through Amazon today. [​IMG]

7. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I've been a fan of theirs since Junior High, even though (believe it or not) I had didn't hear a single song pre- Permanent Vacation until after high school. All of a sudden I understood why so many former fans of theirs were so down on them.

It's on vinyl? May have to pick a copy up for my friend.

8. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Yup. Surprised the hell out of me when I got the email for Elusive Disk. And its only $10.99 to boot.

It does not appear to be audiophile grade vinyl like some of the Classic Records stuff (got a 200g Led Zep II...holy crap....I could use this thing for a spare tire!), but then again, those LPs are about $30, so for $10.99, something has to give.

I went through my LPs the other day, and have all of the "classic" Aerosmith, and even have RiaHP. What the f*ck was I thinking?!?!

I have to say, no Joe, no Brad, then it ain't Aerosmith. And Kiss ain't Kiss w/o Peter and Ace.

BGL

9. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Does the new cee dee sound compressed? How is the sound quality.

10. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

sound quality's quite good imho

11. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I am not an Aerosmith fan, but I heard a track off the new CD on the radio and just CRANKED IT!!! It's very much like the Aerosmith of old...no Diane Warren/Desmond Child power pop/ballad dreck!!!! ALMOST tempted to pick it up!

12. George See

George See Second Unit

Hrmmmm, haven't bought an Aerosmith album in years but this sounds tempting, old school blues rock Aerosmith tempting indead.

13. Bill GrandPre

"Permanent Vacation" was their first "sober" album. They went into "Done With Mirrors" reunited but still addicted. Their official autobiography, "Walk This Way" pretty much paints it as the height of their addiction. They cleaned up between "DWM" and "PV". In any case, "Done with Mirrors" is proof that it's not necessarily a bad thing for Aerosmith to work with outside writers. "Done with Mirrors" was fully written by the band and it suffers because of it. They just chose the *wrong* collaborators beginning in the 80's. The classic 70's albums feature a bunch of co-writers. "Permanent Vacation" may be the result of Aerosmith going in the wrong direction, pop rather than rock, but it was well-written pop. This trend continued up until recently. "Jaded" is a good pop song but not a good Aerosmith song. The songs on "Done with Mirrors" are just bad songs, period. They tried to appeal to 80's audiences and failed with "Done With Mirrors" only to succeed starting with "Permanent Vacation". Aerosmith never tried to sound like a 70's band in the 70's, and that's one of the reason their attempts to sound like an 80's band in the 80's suffer in comparison, in my opinion.

14. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I still think "Night In The Ruts" was their last great Aero-Boogie album. Just check out "Chiquita" from that album. It rocks!

This new one is very good and a can't miss at only $9.99 at most stores.

It really doesn't have a "hit" on it like a "Train Kept A Rollin'" or a "Back In The Saddle Again" but it at least sounds real.[​IMG]

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

16. Bill GrandPre

"Somebody", "Woman of the World", "You See Me Crying", "Critical Mass", "Kings and Queens", "The Hand That Feeds", "Sight For Sore Eyes", "Chip Away The Stone", "Lightning Strikes", "Joanie's Butterfly",and "Rock In A Hard Place" were all collaborations (or in the case of "CATS" and "LS", flat-out written for the band by Richie Supa) and in my opinion they're all better songs than the embarrasing selections on "Done with Mirrors". The material from the original Columbia era was largely written by Aerosmith but the collaborations certainly didn't hurt. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that Aerosmith could have used some outside influence on "Done with Mirrors". Their addictions had clearly taken over at that point. "Draw the Line" was their first album to seriously suffer from their drug use but it's still pretty decent. Their lack of songwriting guidance, coupled with the decision to hire Van Halen producer Ted Templeman instead of longtime producer Jack Douglas, just hurt the album even more. I think their managers and the producer probably thought the reunion of the classic lineup would result in great songs. Unfortunately, Aerosmith has never been lamer. Check out "The Reason A Dog", "Sheila" and "My Fist Your Face" and tell me they're not lame as hell.

17. TedT

TedT Second Unit

pretty impressed with "Honkin'..." The songs are great and I liked what they did on the production with some of the faster songs.

Anyone else pretty impressed by the drumming on this?

I got to say this is the first Aerosmith album I've picked up in about 15 years.

18. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

Bill,

Let's just say I disagree strongly with your opinion of DWM. "My Fist Your Face" is a great tune and "She's On Fire" is also one of my very favorite songs of theirs. I think it was the best album they had done since Rocks.

I need to check out this new release.

19. Bill GrandPre

I actually think "She's On Fire" is a good song and "The Hop" is alright, too. "Let The Music Do The Talking" is pretty decent as well but everything else is embarassingly bad as far as I'm concerned.

20. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I guess you are certainly entitled to your opinion.