What's new

You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros. Story’ September ? (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Back in February as part of the Warner 85th Anniversary press release they said that this documentary would be released on DVD in September 2008. I haven't heard anything since then about it. Doesn't seem to be available for preorder.
Does anyone know when/if this is going to be released ?

Amazon does have a place holder for this title but that is all.

Amazon.com: You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros. Story: Richard Schickel: Movies & TV

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The hardcover companion book for the PBS series is due for release on September 8th and has been announced officially. I understand that the PBS 3-part series will air the next week.

So far all I can find out is that the DVD of the series is due for release sometime at the end of September, but there has been no official announcement.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is a description of the shows from PBS website. Can't wait.

You Ain'T Heard Nothin' Yet (1923-1935)/Good War, Uneasy Peace (1935-1950)
Episode Number: 2103
You Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet (1923-1935)--Episode one introduces the four Youngstown, Ohio, brothers (Harry, Albert, Sam and Jack L. Warner) who officially incorporated their new motion picture company on April 4, 1923. Rin Tin Tin may have put them on the map, but soon gave way to a unique hard-boiled, hard-times cinema ethos. Tough guys James Cagney and Edward G. Robinson dominated the new gangster genre, tough dame Barbara Stanwyck headlined racy melodramas and even the chorus kids in the dazzling musicals were one bad break away from the streets. Key interviews: Busby Berkeley, Edward G. Robinson, Alfred Hitchcock and William Wellman. Key films: The Jazz Singer, Public Enemy, 42nd Street, Baby Face and Little Caesar. "Good War, Uneasy Peace (1935-1950)"--Warner Bros. becomes home to celebrated stars Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn and more. The studio - like the world - faces the twin catastrophes of the Depression and World War II. Warner answers with films that reflect a deep and defiant belief in the courage of common people. But after the war, on-screen noir reflects the off-screen anxiety of blacklists and political witch-hunts. Key interviews: James Cagney, Ronald Reagan, Howard Hawks and Alexis Smith. Key films: Casablanca, Now, Voyager, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Kings Row and White Heat. In HD where available."

A New Reality (1950-1970)/Woodstock Notions (1970-1989)
Episode Number: 2105
A New Reality (1950-1970)"--What the Depression, wireless and war couldn't do, "talking furniture" perhaps could: TV arrives. Warner Bros. fights back with new technology (CinemaScope, 3-D, Eastman Color) and new stars (girl-next-door Doris Day and teen icon James Dean). And a showdown between Harry and Jack Warner leads to a daring new spirit at the studio that releases breakthrough films like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and Bonnie and Clyde. Key interviews: Warren Beatty, Elia Kazan, Kim Hunter, Arthur Penn and Carroll Baker. Key films: A Streetcar Named Desire, East of Eden, Cool Hand Luke, A Face in the Crowd and My Fair Lady. "Woodstock Notions (1970-1989)"--What the 1960s start, the 70s bring to flower. The film Woodstock signals a new era, while new talent (including Clint Eastwood, Martin Scorsese and Stanley Kubrick) and management spark a return to taking chances and setting trends. The past, meanwhile, becomes prologue: the tough authenticity of the 30s and 40s is re-imagined in Dog Day Afternoon, All the President's Men, Dirty Harry and other pivotal hits. Key interviews: Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman and Jack Nicholson. Key films: The Shining, Mean Streets, Superman: The Movie, The Exorcist and Body Heat. In HD where available."

The Big Tent (1980-Present)
Episode Number: 2107
Tent-pole films. Weekend grosses. Megabudgets. The 1980s usher in modern moviemaking and marketing. Box-office smashes Superman, Batman and The Matrix become franchises. The Harry Potter series enthralls the world. Clint Eastwood creates a succession of Oscar®-winning instant classics. And studio collaborations with George Clooney and more new talents pave the way to a future as fabled as the past. Key interviews: George Clooney, Tim Burton, Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese. Key films: The Color Purple, Mystic River, The Departed, Michael Clayton and Unforgiven. In HD where available.

Begins on PBS on September 23 for 3 nights. Hopefully on DVD shortly there after.

The Virgin Megastore in Times Square has a big Warner Bros 85th Anniversary section. Like a mini Warner Bros. museum where they are selling the "You Must Remember This " book and many Warner Bros. DVDs. There is a monitor showing clips from Warner films and signs telling what was going on at Warner Bros each decade.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Garysb, the book is really already for sale in the Virgin Times Square? If so I will stop by tomorrow night and buy it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Yes it is. Just go to the big Warner Bros 85th Anniversary section downstairs.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
How odd. Why on earth would they make it an "Amazon exclusive"? They will miss all the in-store promotions. How do they expect people to learn about this release?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Great, I'm going to import this. It will go well with; 20th Century Fox-The First 50 years & MGM: When The Lion Roars. It does seem mad that Warner arn't selling it with the book.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Yeah, I saw that a few days ago. My question is if it's a proper pressed disc or one of those nifty Amazon burnt jobbies. There's no real indication from the webpage.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I suppose it's called marketing, but what the hell is batman doing on the cover of a dvd concerning the 90 years film history of Warner Bros Studios??

yuck

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Originally Posted by Billy Batson

Great, I'm going to import this. It will go well with; 20th Century Fox-The First 50 years.
Is that documentary on Fox any good? I have wanted to see it!

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by KellyVO

The Fox documentary is excellent. Be sure to get the follow-up Blockbuster Years as well as it picks up from around 1975 to present. Between the two you end up with a 4 hour look at the history of the studio. In that same vein, Goldwyn, the Man and his Movies is also a must-have.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's really good. Introduced & narrated by the late great James Coburn. Hundreds of clips, I bought it when it first came out, & a great many of the movies featured still had to make it to DVD, most have now. It's very re-watchable. I think it's deleted, but it's still quite cheap from Amazon. If you're a movie nut, these studio docs. are a must!

Originally Posted by KellyVO

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks for the information on this upcoming DVD release - the Warner's documentary looks very good.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, I am planning on buying the Warner and two Fox documentaries from Amazon.
If I remember correctly, all three can be had for about $50. Not bad at all. Looking forward
to diving into some movie history.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ron, you will really enjoy the two Fox documentaries. I have had both since they first came out and like That's Entertainment, I find myself re-watching these again and again. While they are not as extensive as When The Lion Roars, they do a great job in covering the history of the company. I am looking forward to You Must Remember This. Now if we can only convince Sony to do a Columbia documentary and Warner's to do an RKO one. Have fun.
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Yeah, I am planning on buying the Warner and two Fox documentaries from Amazon.
If I remember correctly, all three can be had for about $50. Not bad at all. Looking forward
to diving into some movie history.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I got an email from Amazon yesterday "You Must Remember This" two DVD's special price $22, out on August 4th. The great thing about watching these documentries is that it makes you want to watch all those old movies.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Originally Posted by ahollis

Ron, you will really enjoy the two Fox documentaries. I have had both since they first came out and like That's Entertainment, I find myself re-watching these again and again. While they are not as extensive as When The Lion Roars, they do a great job in covering the history of the company. I am looking forward to You Must Remember This. Now if we can only convince Sony to do a Columbia documentary and Warner's to do an RKO one. Have fun.
Believe it or not, when Columbia had its 75th Anniversary, they did a documentary on the studio called "The Lady With the Torch". It was hosted by Glenn Close and it wasn't bad. However, the only problem with it is that it jumps around a little too often, and it seems to skip some moments, especially towards the end (when the studio lost money under Guber and Peters) It aired on Encore back in 1999 and has yet to be released on DVD. However, I would love a brand new documentary on the studio that does it even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks