you liked 'walking with dinosaurs' - get ready for 'walking with beasts'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew markworthy, Nov 11, 2001.

1. andrew markworthy

Given the number of folks who liked 'Walking with Dinosaurs' when it was released, I thought people might like to know that the same team has a new series called 'Walking with Beasts', which starts this week on the BBC. It's about the evolution of early mammals and birds, and is in the same style as the dinosaurs programmes. An interesting feature is that those people with digital TV can access a panel of experts talking about the scientific background to what's on screen.
    I would imagine that the US will get this programme pretty soon - given the advance notices and previews, it may be something to watch out for.

2. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this Andrew, I thought Dinosaurs was fantastic, but can they top that astounding achievement?
    I don't know, this series has creatures I've never seen or heard of before, I'm not sure if they would seem as real and 'alive' as those dinosaurs were to me, have to wait and see.
    Discovery channel recently showed 'When Dinosaurs Roamed America', it was ok, a bit crude some neat CGI, but all it did was prove how incredible the BBC's 'Walking With Dinosaurs' was. [​IMG]

3. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

This looks a lot more interesting that 'Dinosaurs' to me, as I'm (a) hoping for a bit more meaty science, and (b) know what to expect, so I'll be happy just to get some cool visuals if thats all we are allocated. The new 'mammoths' BBC1 ident is stunning.
    Also, from the trailer it looks like they have improved the animation substantially from 'Dinosaurs', which was a major complaint for me.

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

This is already being advertised as coming on the Discovery Channel - I can't remember exactly when. I'm sure looking forward to it.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Does anybody know if this is/was a one part show or is it going to be in different parts.. WWDinosaurs seemed like it was a bunch of episodes put onto a double DVD set...

BTW, I PVR'ed the 3 hours last night since I had to watch OTA TV last night...

Jay

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

As with 'Dinosaurs', 'Beasts' consists of 6 half-hour episodes, which is why it feels so episodic. We still have one episode left to go, but so far its been pretty good, more of the same though. The effects are a really mixed quality though; some moments give modern ILM a run for their money, while others look even worse than the monkeys in Jumanji.

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Just saw this last night. Overall I'd say it was very good, but the CGI ranged from excellent to pretty bad. The humans looked real good though - almost real [​IMG]
    The things that annoyed me were solely the fault of Discovery Channel. I did not like how they intercut talking head snippets with the show (at least I assume that's not the way it was done originally.) I certainly want to see the science behind the series, but I want to see it separately.
    And as with Walking With Dinosaurs, I felt that Beasts had been edited to remove some more disturbing images of critters getting munched. I am sure that I will also enjoy the original narration better than the US version. I can't wait for the DVD and I hope it will have lots of goodies.
    (And is it just me, or did the large bird in the beginning - Gascornia(sp?) I think - remind anyone else of the Shriekers in Tremors 2? I think it's they way they both wiggled their tails. [​IMG] )

8. andrew markworthy

The run of Walking With Beasts is almost over on the BBC. There have been a couple of companion documentaries ('The Science of Walking With Beasts') which are basically interviews with paleantologists, bits of fossil, and the occasional bit of computer-generated effects (including some comic bits of the beasts walking along a city street, etc). Interestingly, if you watched it on digital TV, you had the option of a running commentary with talking heads. I suspect that the DVD will offer this option as well. It's not due out until March 2002 in Britain - please does anyone know any details about it?