What's new

"You Know You're Right" -Overproduced? (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I finally heard Nirvana's "You know you're right" on the radio today and didn't care for its production at all. The loops of "you know you're right" toward the end along with a couple other engineered segments left me scratching my head.

Is this a case of production guys creating a single out of mixed studio tapes?? Or am I just being over critical? The performance was great...it just wasn't very well produced.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I wonder when it was mixed...

I think the song was recorded in January or Feb '94, which would have been only two or three months before Kurt's death. Has it been sitting in a vault in an unfinished state for all these years & just polished up recently, or was this version the artist's intent?

Can anybody provide info?

BTW>>I enjoy the song very much. Gave me chills the first time I heard it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy the song but prefer the more raw sound of bleach or incesticide, that's just me. I do think it's over-produced though.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Personally, I wonder when it was mixed...

I think the song was recorded in January or Feb '94, which would have been only two or three months before Kurt's death. Has it been sitting in a vault in an unfinished state for all these years & just polished up recently, or was this version the artist's intent?

Can anybody provide info?

It was mixed last summer ('01) for release in the eagerly awaited boxset to be released 10 years after Nevermind. That all got screwed up by Courtney's lawsuit.

Here's a halfway decent quote as to the timing of the recording.

"In late January 1994, Cobain, Novoselic, and Grohl entered Bob Lang's studio in Seattle for their final recording session. Following a long jam, they captured this powerful tune in one take, including the gut-wrenching vocal -- a spooky, ambient intro of echoed harmonics and a fractured guitar solo."
Jim DeRogatis
Spin magazine, June 2002, page 72

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I've read there is another studio version floating around that sounds much better. I don't know if "floating around" means available on the internet or not.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
There is some question as to whether the leaked version is the actual "release version" of the song. Cobain biographer Charles Cross said this week that the version of the song that Courtney Love played for him was a "substantially better version" than the one that is circulating now. Many people are speculating that the current version is either a shortened radio edit, a rough version that is not the final mix that will be released officially, or is a different take completely than the one that will be released this Christmas. Obviously, nobody knows for sure since Courtney Love, the surviving members of Nirvana, and Universal have all been mum on the subject. Radio stations have officially been notified that they will be receiving promo CDs for the song this coming week, though, so once they get the official promo that should answer at least some of the questions people have about this great, great song.

Oh, and I think it sounds great. I don't think it is overproduced. It is certainly nowhere near as produced sounding as the songs on Nevermind were...

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Paul:
Oh, it's definitely not more overproduced than Nevermind was (which is still one of my top 10 favs of all time). If there is an alternate, or longer version, I can't wait to hear it.
(...and, btw...great pic on your sig:) )

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
Oh, it's definitely not more overproduced than Nevermind was (which is still one of my top 10 favs of all time). If there is an alternate, or longer version, I can't wait to hear it.
Same here! Incidentally, Courtney Love and Universal released an official press release today announcing that they have settled all of their legal differences and that a hits compilation with YKYR, a multi-disc box set, and a rarities album (probably a single disc selection of tracks from the box set) are all going to be released from the Nirvana vaults in the next few months. The hits compilation is expected before Christmas while the box set is supposedly due in April of 2003. Can't wait! :emoji_thumbsup:
Jarrod, glad you like the sig! It's always been one of my favorite Nirvana pics. You just gotta love the big grin on Dave's face. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks