"You Know You're Right" -Overproduced?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I finally heard Nirvana's "You know you're right" on the radio today and didn't care for its production at all. The loops of "you know you're right" toward the end along with a couple other engineered segments left me scratching my head.

Is this a case of production guys creating a single out of mixed studio tapes?? Or am I just being over critical? The performance was great...it just wasn't very well produced.

2. Jarrod_L

Jarrod_L Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I wonder when it was mixed...

I think the song was recorded in January or Feb '94, which would have been only two or three months before Kurt's death. Has it been sitting in a vault in an unfinished state for all these years & just polished up recently, or was this version the artist's intent?

Can anybody provide info?

BTW>>I enjoy the song very much. Gave me chills the first time I heard it.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I enjoy the song but prefer the more raw sound of bleach or incesticide, that's just me. I do think it's over-produced though.

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I've read there is another studio version floating around that sounds much better. I don't know if "floating around" means available on the internet or not.

6. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

There is some question as to whether the leaked version is the actual "release version" of the song. Cobain biographer Charles Cross said this week that the version of the song that Courtney Love played for him was a "substantially better version" than the one that is circulating now. Many people are speculating that the current version is either a shortened radio edit, a rough version that is not the final mix that will be released officially, or is a different take completely than the one that will be released this Christmas. Obviously, nobody knows for sure since Courtney Love, the surviving members of Nirvana, and Universal have all been mum on the subject. Radio stations have officially been notified that they will be receiving promo CDs for the song this coming week, though, so once they get the official promo that should answer at least some of the questions people have about this great, great song.

Oh, and I think it sounds great. I don't think it is overproduced. It is certainly nowhere near as produced sounding as the songs on Nevermind were...

7. Jarrod_L

Jarrod_L Stunt Coordinator

Paul:
    Oh, it's definitely not more overproduced than Nevermind was (which is still one of my top 10 favs of all time). If there is an alternate, or longer version, I can't wait to hear it.
    (...and, btw...great pic on your sig[​IMG] )

8. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor