What's new

You know you're a bad golfer if... (1 Viewer)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
The last time I played I shot a legitimate 80. I usually shoot in the mid 80's. I had a 3 footer on 18 for a 79 but blew it. But I've been playing golf for about 7 years. Its a damn hard game.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brent,
I understand how that can happen. My golfing buddies and I rib each other a lot on the course (especially if somebody has a "money" putt), but once they step over the ball the group goes still and silent. After the shot, of course, any comments are once again fair game. :)
It's amazing how a weekend golfer (me included) can choke on a two foot putt when there is only a dollar on the line. I don't know how the pros handle the pressure of a putt being worth potentially several hundred thousand dollars.
BTW, I'm a 13 handicap who has broken 80 five times in my life. I've shot 80 several times, but that last stroke is usually the hardest to shave off.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Don't we have any low handicapers in here?? I play to a 5 right now. I was in the BC Provincial Golf Championships when I was 17. It was held at the Crown Isle G.C.C in Comox, on Vancouver Island. Man, I'll never forget that experience. My low score is even par, but I've never had a hole in one :frowning: several eagles on Par 4's though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Cam,

While I'm not a single-digit handicapper like you, I do have two holes-in-one to my credit. That just shows that a hole-in-one is as much luck as anything -- it takes skill to get it close, but luck for it to go in the hole. Actually, I have hit much better shots that didn't go in than the two which did.

As I said above, I am currently a 13 handicap.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I've come within a foot to making a hole-in-one on about 4 occassions. I do have one eagle on a par 4 that was holed from about 140 yards out.

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
I play to a 4 handicap now, but I was scratch through high school and college. In fact, I shot my best round in about 10 years yesterday. I had a 69 that included an almost hole-in-one which hit the stick on one hop. Too bad it went about 15 feet away and I missed the put.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I seem to be stuck at about a 20.

I never really took golf seriously until my buddies started beating me last year.

So I bought new clubs, a new driver, a new sandwedge, and a new putter.

The only problem with my game is getting used to my "stronger" grip(it used to be very weak), and my lack of backswing or follow through. Both of which I'm trying to correct this summer.

I think I should have taken on 1 thing at a time!!

Brent

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I've broken 80 ONCE, normally I shoot around 90. I had to get a birdie on the last hole, a par 4, to shoot 79, but after two shots I still wasn't on the green. I had a 15-20 feet chip for a birdie, and I really didn't expect to make it... but I did! :) I've never been so happy (especially not on the golf course...). :D
Just had to tell you guys. :)
/Mike

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had a 3 footer on 18 for a 79 but blew it.
I had something similar happen to me. For my only chance at shooting par for 9 holes (this was in our evening league), I needed a par 5 on the last hole. I hit the green in three, about 15 feet from the hole. I then proceeded to three putt (after blowing the first putt about 5 feet past the hole) for a one over par 37.

Gary_E

Second Unit
I'm part of a regular foursome that plays every Sunday morning ($1.00 skins/greenies and highest score buying breakfast after the round).
One of the guys prints up custom scorecards that we use for tracking strokes, greenies, skins etc. Each of my three fellow golfers have an additional column which they fill in what they would like for breakfast. I don't have such a column because I ALWAYS lose and ALWAYS pay.
-Gary

E

Eric Kahn

I think I would find another 4some to be in, I would not pay every week
since I always lose also, I do not bet on golf:D

Cam S

Screenwriter
betting on a golf game is great fun. When I worked at the golf course I would also play with my co-workers from the grounds crew, and we would usually play for a buck-a-hole, and once or twice played for 2 bucks-a-hole. It get pretty dam competetive when money is involved :D
funny story from a tourny I was in last week. I was on the 7th hole and it was a 356yard par 4. I can usually drive the green which is surounded by some tree's, so I went for it as usualy. Well I went to crush the ball but ended up toeing it HARD right, and I never even saw where it went, so I was forced to hit a provisional incase I didn't find it. I tee'd up the provisional ball and obsolutely pured it, and as soon as I hit it I knew it was gonna be on the green. Needless to say I never found my first ball and my provisional ended up just on the fringe 8 feet from the pin, so I drained the put for a nice 356 yard up and down for par :D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I've never bet on golf. For some reason it feels like it would take away the fun of competeing against myself.

/Mike

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I just bought the Swing Magic and played a day later and saw an immediate improvement - to the tune of ~6 strokes! And I've only played with this thing for about 15 minutes! The biggest improvement is my monster slice of the tee box has been all but eliminated. Yeah, I'm still going a little too far right (10-15 yards) but it's no longer a slice and is probably a grip or alignment issue.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There is always a little money on the line during our Saturday morning rounds. We play greenies on the par 3's (we actually call them oozlams and anti-oozlams) and another game called Wolfman, where you alternate the "wolfman" by hole. Whoever is the wolf tees last, and after each player hits his shot, the wolf must declare if he will select that person as a partner for the hole. If you pass on a player, you cannot select hom later if no one else hits a good tee ball. The wolfman can play alone (one against three) -- all wins or loses are doubled in this case.

The guys I play with on Saturdays were quite a bit better than me when I started playing with them many years ago. I found that playing with better players actually helped improve my game over time as we played for money. I concentrated more, and practiced more so that I could be more competitive. Now, I stand as good a chance as winning money as losing it on the weekend.

FYI, we do not play for a lot of money -- rarely does anyone win or lose more than 6 or 7 dollars during a round. It just makes the game a lot more interesting and fun to have something on the line. Winning a buck from each of your buddies by sinking a pressure putt is a great feeling.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Wolf, now that's a fun game! That is ually the game of choice for me and my 3 golfing buddies.

Darren H

Second Unit
I played yesterday for the first time in about seven months. Actually, the last time I played was a week before a neurosurgeon confirmed that I have two ruptured disks in my neck. My back is in knots this morning.

Considering the long layoff, I'm quite pleased with my game, though. I didn't score particularly well -- the short game needs much tuning up -- but I hit the ball as well as I ever have. It's a good round for me when I have to fix seven or eight ball marks.

Have any Tennesseeans played Bent Creek in Gatlinburg? My brother-in-law and I were both very impressed by the layout. It's a short course (6,100 yards, I think) that requires accuracy. Some beautiful views of the Smokies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks