You know your a HT addict when.....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by LaMarcus, Mar 23, 2004.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Your sitting at BW3's watching your favorite college team winning in the NCAA tournament, and the biggests problem your having is that the projector showing the game needs to be calibrated.

I'm curious if any of you have been in the same situation, or some variance. There just comes a point in time that you realize man, I'm really a HT addict.

(I don't know if a thread like this has already been done, I did a search and came up with nothing.)

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

This is funny, because on Friday, I was sitting at a BW3's "watching" the tourney, and I kept trying to figure out what kind of projectors they had. Also, I was looking at their screens to see what kind they were.

I do this all the time... we were house-hunting not too long ago and I had to restrain myself from running into the basement first to see what the home theater potential was. I was like a dog begging to go outside. I would bolt downstairs when my wife would say "okay, let's check out the basement".

3. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

LMAO, that's hilarious.

Actually I did the same thing, when we were house haunting, we passed up some really nice homes because they didn't have any where for me to put a theater. [​IMG]

4. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Over the holidays I visited my girlfriend's uncle who moved down to Maryland. They took us on a tour of the house and when I got to the basement, everyone turned to make sure I didn't faint. His setup was about as sweet as I could imagine it could be. The person that lived there before made a little HT section with a separate closet for the componenets and all.

We got around to talking about it (surprise surprise) and he even turned Saving Private Ryan on for me during a halftime special. I think we were the only 2 there that actually were enjoying ourselves. I was impressed with his setup, and he was happy that he met someone that understood his setup enough to be impressed.

And to answer your question LaMarcus, yes I'm always walking into bars and noticing the crappy way they have their setups. The newest fad is to get a widescreen TV and use Zoom2 or Super Zoom or some other god awful setting so you can't even see the corner scoreboards. The place I go to that has specials when the Flyers play is known to do this, I'm hoping that they'll fix it before the playoffs start.

5. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

yeah, i do it too

the place where we get wings and beer on tuesday has a projector, and a big screen and i used to look at them for stuff that wasn't right. Now, i say, "mine is better than that"

btw, when my brother first showed me his house, when i went into the half sunken family room...i said, this would make an awesome home theater...the funny thing is when my one friend came over, he said the same thing...

LaMarcus, what happened yesterday...got a network error, and couldn't get back in[​IMG]

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    When in church everyone bows their heads to pray and I look up to see what FP they have mounted to the ceiling. :b

Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

At BW3's all I could think about was calibrating those projectors they looked terrible. I hate going to any place and the bigscreen (or little screens) are not setup right.

I went to my sister's house she bought a nice rptv she didn't even bother setting it up because she knew I would do it. lol. That's why I got a chuckle when Greg*go said everyone turned and looked at him. It's like we're all a special breed man, some times I feel like those geeks on that commercial " are you gellin?" "I"m gellin like a fellon"

Mike, man I thought you guys were mad at me. Your friend was picking with me for using the rocket launcher, but I just took it as a joke. But when it said network error, I thought did they quit?
    Then when ya'll didn't come back I thought "damn, they must have really been mad at me. I woulda stopped using the rocket launcher". Then I thought "why the hell we Mike mad, he was on my team, maybe he was mad I kept blowing up his friends." It was weird, I'll be on today though.

8. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Ron-P I think you win. LMAO[​IMG]

9. Mike Wladyka

we weren't mad at you, LaMarcus...they didn't quit, we know that you would have stopped using the launcher...we got a network error, then we couldn't get back in. what time you gonna be on today?

10. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

When looking for our current house, the home theater was a major concern. Why do they always put the damn fireplaces right where the big screen goes???? And whats with the 'built in entertainment center' that none of my stuff will fit in. [​IMG]

11. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston

Ummm... when I was house hunting, that was the major requirement of the house... a place to put the home theater. Everything else was secondary.

I figured that was SOP for folks like us.

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

LOL - My band just played at a local restaurant and I was setting up behind one of the big screens (that was projecting the game). Since I was right next to it, I could see the score and how the red beam was off so that the score had a red shadow on it [​IMG]

13. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

You know your a HT addict when...you have 4 pairs of HT speakers in your house because you keep upgrading.

14. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Why do they always put the damn fireplaces right where the big screen goes????"

because they figured since it was a new house that you'd FINALLY go front projection!!

Nice electric drop down screen [​IMG]

Brent

15. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I've been down that road.

In one year, a few years ago, I went through:

Definitive
    Infinity OV3s/OV1s as a set
    Mirage speaks
    B&W speaks
    VonSchweikert

I kept upgrading so fast because I just wasn't happy until I ended up with the VonSchweikerts.. and then had to relocate.. and they all went away *laugh*

16. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Yep, that was a requirement for me. I had to have something in my price range with two living areas, one of which had to be suitable for the HT. It's worked pretty good so far. And my future houses will be the same.

And in the spirit of this thread, last week I went to the Dallas Stars game and spent some time trying to figure out the technology behind their large video displays. They're quite bright and have good resolution. I'm guessing that they are LED based, and not projection.

17. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Who was that one guy who went to a girls' house, and when they got into her room, all he could think of was how great a HT room it would be? [​IMG]

18. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Ok, since someone else brought it up, I have to ask even at the risk of the 'DUH' factor....what the hell is SOP? [​IMG]

19. Mike Wladyka

Standard Operating Procedure...DUH

20. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Or the guy who didn't want to date a girl because she didn't have a great tv. [​IMG]