You know S Video is better than component, right?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brandon Steck, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Brandon Steck

Brandon Steck Stunt Coordinator

I had this guy come into Best Buy (probably the bane of most home theater junkies, I know, but I like my job) looking for an S-video cable. He said he needed about 12 feet, and I told him the only one we had in stock that was that long was a 25 foot cheapo. He's like, no, I need a good one, it's going into my 20,000 dollar projector. Of course he says this with the air of "I'm above all of you." My first thought was, "why aren't you buying some better cables than we sell here (I don't have any false pretenses that Best Buy is a high end store)" and "don't you have component video on your projector." I asked him the latter, and he pulls out with, "S Video is better than component." I was politely like, no, component video's the best. Then he cops this attitude and he's like, NO, y'know what, I'm an engineer I've been doing it for 35 years, and you can do all the research you want and S Video is better than any component. It has a higher bitrate. Another guy from the department was standing right there and we just started laughing because of a) the guy's stupidity, and b) the guy's pompous attitude. I'm not much into the technical aspects of cabling, I go by what I can SEE, and I can SEE a definite difference between component and s video. I would have taken the time to explain the difference to him, except for his totally rude and pompous attitude. Instead, I'm content with his 20,000 dollar projector looking like a 20,000 dollar piece of garbage. I just thought the whole situation was funny, figured someone else might get a laugh out of it or has shared a similar situation.

Brandon

p.s.

I actually would like to start learning about the technical aspects of home theater, since it's a huge hobby for me. Can anyone offer any books or anything like a "Home Theater for Dummies" or something like that that can get me started? I know how to set up a home theater system and everything like that, it's things like bandwidth, bitrate, little technical things I'm not too keen on. If anyone can offer anything to me, I'd appreciate it.

2. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    I would've been so tempted to say:

You would've only gotten to say it once before you got fired, but oh, how SATISFYING it would've been!

3. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Brandon, here's a couple of spots right to help with your education:

Digital Bits guide

Can't find a link to the other, maybe another member can chime in. I believe the HTF has a sticky post with the basics to HTF

4. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit