What's new

You know..I wanted to get rid of some of my dvd's... (1 Viewer)

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I've been collecting for just over 5 yrs now & I believe I've gotten rid of about 5 in total. I'm very picky about what films I buy on disc vs what I'll request from Netflix. Just wanna know that I'll be enjoying the film yrs from now. Hence, my collection is very small, only about 150 titles.

That's one of the reasons I like Nflix: I can test drive a disc & see if I'd like to buy it. Worked for Sin City (a film that, admittedly, did not wow me when I 1st saw it about a year ago), even splurged & got the uncut edition. Also worked for The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover. I found that one in the now defunct Media Play.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
With the advent of Blue-Ray & HD dvd it's looking like the late 90's when people were unloading laserdiscs, now it will be dvd's if you're into upgrading, local used outlets here are getting picky on accepting used dvd's. Ebay will work if you sell dvd's in a group instead of one at a time.
Regards
Al

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've been following this thread with interest.

Another options any of you folks may want to consider is the Software for Trade/Sale sub-forum right here on the ol' HTF.

For the cost of aboslutely nothing, you can list any DVD you'd like to unload along with a pirce and any shipping/handling you'd like to include and see what kind of reception you get.

As the curator of the HTF's Good Trader's List, I keep track of the feedback given to successful sales/trades of software and hardware and was surprised to note a huge drop in the number of verified good trades from 2004 to 2005.

So, while on the one hand, some of you forecast there might be a boom in the used DVD business because of the advent of high-def formats, there has actually been a marked drop-off in the amount of business seemingly transacted between members of the HTF.

In fact, there has been a dearth of threads advertising DVDs for sale/trade in the forum. It used to be that you'd get an interesting mix of DVDs advertised on the forum...ranging from the extremely popular newest releases to the hard-to-find obscure titles that people are willing to pay premium $$$ for.

I recommend the HTF for this kind of sale activity. In the three years I've been monitoring the activity, there have only been a couple of bad traders exposed versus thousands of successful sales/trades. You are usually doing business with like-minded enthusiasts who care about the product as much as you do and understand the value of the discs. Things usually seem to work out to everyone's advantage.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Besides the fact that prices on eBay and such have been way down for over a year now and that it will be several years before the majority of current DVDs have HD versions, but in addition, the market for these new HD formats is extremely small and will likely remain so for several more years.

The key factors playing significant roles in the huge devaluation of used DVDs are a saturated marketplace in combination with the popularity of DVD copying and downloading.

Many buyers already have large collections so they are not only less likely to be buying, but are in fact likely selling off some of their DVDs to make room for new ones. You also have people replacing their purchased DVDs with copies and selling of the original thus further devaluating the marketplace. Then you have some who even sell copied DVDs on eBay who also cause the prices to fall further. Then you have internet savvy buyers who likely know that it is very easy to get free copies of DVDs and thus even at just $5 a DVD w/shipping it is cheaper to acquire a copy, either from a rental DVD or download and burn it themselves.

Unless video piracy isn't brought under control, we can expect the same thing to happen with the next format as well.

From my own experience, trying to sell some DVDs from my own personal collection on eBay, despite being in mint condition, none of them sold for over $5 and that was over a year ago. I'm sure, as the original author of this thread discovered, it has only gotten worse.

Christopher-T

Auditioning
I have had some success as of late selling DVDs on eBay. My last batch of 11 (and they were some basic stuff...)

Jerk (FF)
Pearl Harbor 2-disc
Rounders (non-SE)
Deer Hunter (non-Legacy)_
Space Jam SE
Sex/City S1
Sex/City S2
Hot Wheels World Race
Pred 1/2 (non-SE)
Untouchables

totaled ~$150 but after subtracting Paypal and eBay fees and also the cost of shipping it was closer to $100 which is still around $9-10/disc. I think I have a decent ad setup and a clean feedback rating which helps.

I havent really explored the trade-in route, but the co-worker thing may have promise...Seems a lot easier than the eBay route.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
with the high prices Amazon.ca charges; I have had good success there for used dvds, books, etc...since the used price correlates to the price for new. I have found that a number of my buyers have been from smaller towns and communities where access to volumes of new product and aggressive pricing is less pronouncced than in the larger centers. And...I have a 5 star sellers rating!:)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
As far as selling DVDs go, I've used Ebay, Half and have to say that Amazon is the easiest, and most active. Mainly because everyone who is looking to buy the DVD and goes to Amazon, can see your DVD listed.

I've listed DVDs there and, within an hour, have sold them. Especially if you make it the lowest price one for sale. Plus, since they pay Amazon directly, you don't have to worry about deadbeat bidders and all that.

The fees may be a bit higher, but you make up for it in the time saved and the aggravation.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Speaking of ebay has anyone noticed the glut of laserdisc for sale, over 25,000 titles the last time I looked. It used to be more like 5,000 to 10,000 titles available.
Regards
Al

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
When I have a dvd that I don't want to keep anymore, I usually take it to Disc Replay, which sells used dvds and cds. Not nearly as good if you sold it on ebay, but they do give good offers at times.

Jim-M

Second Unit
I've sold about 80 DVDs over the last 4 years using a variety of methods, mostly by selling at the Wherehouse and Secondspin B&Ms (not online). I've also sold at work, but not recently. Lately I had good luck selling some OOP Disney titles on the local craigslist. I'm a pretty good deal shopper and get a lot of my DVDs through Columbia House, so about a quarter of the time I can make a little profit even with the generally low trade-in prices at the B&Ms. I haven't had seller's remorse - to the contrary it can actually be quite liberating to thin out the collection to a more manageable level of titles I'll actually watch again.

Matthew H

Second Unit
I recently sold off my entire collection to make way for Blu-Ray. I'm done purchasing new release DVDs. I'll just rent from now on.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Paul.S,

Thanks for the tip, however upon first glance it looks like you can only receive credit, not cash for your DVDs. Is that correct?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Wow, Matthew--very ambitious given home much still has to get straightened/come to fruition on the hi def front.

How many tittles did you sell and did you do it all in one fell consignment swoop, or spread it out over various places??

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
That's correct, Paul.

As I think the thread shows, thinking that we can apply (what for me were) undergrad days' experiences of selling CDs for money to pay the utility bill to selling DVDs now isn't gonna always fly. If you're looking to actually see a significant cash profit, I think the market is too mature and the DVD product cycle a little too long in the tooth for that.

I like just applying whatever credit I get to other purchases for the collection. I don't think it as so much of a loss given how much intangible enjoyment I derived from whatever I sold.

But having said that, IF you were in a part of the country with b&m Wherehouses, you'd be able to get cash for sales to the store, but it just is for a lesser amount than what store credit is. If you're looking to reinvest in your media collection, I think you'll be happier than if you're trying to actually make some money from non-rare DVDs.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Wow, really? But what if Blu-Ray doesn't catch on? With the public so in love with DVD, there is a possibility that it won't become a part of mainstream culture (like the laserdisc, superior to VHS but very hard to find).

Plus, with a lot that is out there on DVD today, many of those titles may not make it to Blu-Ray.

Not to mention Blu-Ray players will play old DVD. So, DVDs won't be obsolete.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Paul.S,

Thanks for the clarification. That is what I thought. I will have to consider it. While there are certainly always new releases coming out that I want, the whole idea behind getting rid of some DVDs is to scale back. :) At least for me anyway.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've been most succesful in unloading DVD's to pawn shops, where I usually trade 2 for 1.

My buying habits are different though. I usually buy new releases, "name" movies at the previously mentioned glutted Blockbusters for $9 and under, which means that when I trade the film, I'm only out about the price of what a rental would be. I'm also fortunate (unfortunate?) to live close to a part of town that has rather un-educated pawn shop owners, that alow such trades as 3 Hitchcocks (Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo, I upgrades to the Masterpiece collection box) for a unopened "Band Of Brothers" set, so I usually make out great.

Any titles I can't flip at the Pawns, well usually be givin to a friend.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Scott M, I sent my list to Sellmydvds site last Tuesday. I still have not heard back from them. I know a few of my discs are ones they would want. Do you know how long it takes for them to get back to you?

Thanks!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Don't think DigitalEyes.net been mentioned. Soon to be merged with DVDPlanet.com they buy and sell used DVDs. Dunno if what they buy is for cash, site credit or both though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks