What's new

You know..I wanted to get rid of some of my dvd's... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Having over a 1000 dvds. I decided to go through and see what I can sell off. I picked around 25 dvd's I know I will never watch again. Yes, I know thats not a lot compared to my collection. But, I have a lot of tv shows. Anyway, I looked to ebay. And most auctions get you a $1 or so a disc. Sometimes more if its a popular disc. And I was looking as selling it in lots. So I went to Dvdempires used buy back. About 10 of the discs that aren't buying. And the 15 they are taking.. I am going to get $36.84. Which is a little over $2 a disc. Which might be good. But, thinking about how much I spent, even though most were discounted and gotten during some of the internet sales from a few years back. I know its the name of the game. I have 100's of vhs tapes that are worthless that were worth something once.

Oh well...bring on Blu-Ray. :D

Greg Black

Second Unit
I've been thinking about selling some of my DVDs, but just like you said, you can't really get anything for them. Which causes me to just keep them. Even though they are taking up space, I just couldn't sell them for a fraction of what I paid for them. Then there's the hassle of listing them, and shipping them, etc. For what, one dollar profit?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have found the best way to get rid of spare discs for the most $$ is selling at work. This is for ordinary discs, not stuff a collector would be looking for. I don't know if you have that option, but we have a buy/sell web site. The main thing is, you're not dealing with fussy/picky people like at HTF :) who have everything common and half-decent, if you know what I mean... These people just want to watch the movie, and if you give ownership for somewhat more than a rental, they're in. No shipping hassle, and the comfort factor of they "know where you are" and it's a hand-to-hand transaction where they see the goods too...I think they pay a little more, but it's not like you're making money and they know that. Chances are you won't get but a fraction of your purchase price, but the point is you're getting rid of unwanted/upgraded discs for *something* at least. Good luck.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

I have done this on several occasions. I usually make up a list of what I am selling. Bring it into work and pass it amongst my co-workers & at times will sell 30-40 dvds at $5-6 a pop.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have done that with a guys I know at the post office. Sell it to them for 4-5 bucks a piece.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yeah, that would work, even a pass-around list that you had no idea where it would eventually end up after many weeks. Or a community bulletin board if you have one. (They took ours "down" at work, encourage the website, buy/sell e-mails not allowed...) I am usually still getting e-mails or calls long after everything has gone.

Anyway, I typically ask half of the retail price. For good stuff. If I happen to think something is lousy then I take what I can get just to get rid of it and keep it from sullying my racks...(they're doing me a favor, and paying me for my mistake:) ) Actually, I tell people what I think of the discs, which is not a good sales technique but at least they know in advance and can't say I didn't warn them.

I do typically get half the current local retail price, and rarely does anybody want to dicker even though I'm very flexible on that.

A "concept" to remember is the majority of people do NOT buy online, and are not aware of the absolutely lowest price for which you can buy something. They are familiar with the prices they see in stores, and half of that looks good for something that looks like new.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Any local used stores? You can usually get cash or store credit for what you give them. Then buy other DVDs, books, cds, etc.

-paul

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've used this site quite often. While I certainly do not get back what I paid for the titles originally, I still get on average $5 - $7 per title. I'll sell off titles I'm upgrading, along with the occasional blind purchase that did not work out well.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I usually trade mine in at used DVD stores-(I typically get $5.00 credit/DVD. This is not bad when the highest priced DVD in the store is usually $9.99!)-OR- I just give the discs away to friends and co-workers.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

My thoughts exactly! I always take old discs to my local used shop. Granted, I have become good friends with the owner and all of the Employees, but I always get at least $5/disc.

My second comment is to maybe change your buying habits. If you buy a lot of huge sellers, they depreciate very quickly. If you really like a lot of newer films, you're probably best to wait until they go on sale, or even pick them up used. My experiences, are that these titles start showing up in used shops within 1-2 weeks of their original release.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Unfortunately this is the end result of the rental stores choking on Used Product. Have any of you actually gone into a Hollywood Video Lately? Mine is so choking on Previously Viewed Stock it is shocking. They've dropped the Prices to about $8.00 a disk and they still can't get rid of them.

I've started mainly buying TV product on DVD, my Film buying habits usually is for older classic films. Maybe it's a reflection of Hollywood, but just how many times do you need to watch most of the Modern stuff coming out. Oh I'll Still get the Big films the King Kong and such, but for most films a renatl will suffice.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
While its not financially benefitial, one thing my wife and I do with the discs we no longer want is to give them to our local library.

Andy

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have had great success with Half.com in getting rid of movies. Yes, you have to ship it and yes the money is desposited twice a month, but I've never had a problem with it. All the mom and pop type places around me are very, very picky about cases and discs...the case has to be in perfect and the discs can't have any scratches period.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I've sold a lot of DVDs and CDs on Amazon. Sometimes I only make a few bucks, sometimes more. I had picked up the original DVD of War of the Worlds from Costco for around $9. I never got around to opening it. When the special edition was released, I sold my disc on Amazon for $50!

Anyway, even if I don't make much money, I've cleared out space on my shelves, I feel a little less guilty about double-dipping on newer editions, and it's kind of fun to be a "merchant!"

It's easier than ebay because you don't have to upload a photo or create an ad.

Doug

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Thanks everyone. Scott, I emailed that company. Hopefully, I will get a good response.

As is the case with most material goods, it is often more beneficial to simply donate the products to charity (hospitals, group homes, good will, etc.) and then take a tax write-off. You'll probably see a better return, and you'll be doing something for those in need, which is the best part.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I have done that with a lot of clothes, kids toys and even a dining room table. I would love to find a place to donate a bunch of vhs movies.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Like with antique furniture, you can only get what someone is willing to pay but "dealers" will not give you what you think its worth. I believe someone told someone I know recently that if you had a house fire that insurance companies will only give you $1 each for lost DVDs. That is where insurance riders come into play.

Like one person said, if you can't sell them try taking a tax write-off by donating them. You will get more money back at tax time. I know I bargain shop and consider shipping fees so if one person is asking .99¢ for a title but wants $7. for shipping while another is selling the same title for $3.99 and $1. shipping, who do you think I'll buy from?

Eric

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
There's one nice thing about liking weird and obscure movies---they go out of print quickly and they hold their value pretty well (often turning a tidy profit). I sell on half.com and do just fine.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I have tried all of the above. I put a list on the Staff Bulletin Board and sell a few. I post here at HTF and sell a few. I try to sell to mom and pop used stores. Blockbuster is my last resort and I know I'll get at least $3 per disc.

I have also donated to my local library as well as my school library. Nice at tax time.

As someone mentioned above, I have also curtailed my impulse buying. I usually unload movies that I should never have bought in the first place. I try to pick up the titles I know and love (that actually have rewatch value) and I may pick up some purchases long after they become available because I rent them and enjoy them enough to do so. I'm also a double-dip sucker, depending on the features available. If its an anamorphic upgrade, it's a done deal for me. If it's a "special edition" with a sneak peek at the sequel, forget it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks