You knew this was gonna happen.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wade K, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

Michael Jackson, along with a virtual parade of other waning pop-stars is gonna release a single to commemorate and raise money for victims of the tragedy. Why don't they just write a check. I think people are already giving all they can, financially and otherwise, directly to the charities. We shouldn't be forced to hear this song ad naseum on the radio.
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...song_dc_1.html

2. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

We shouldn't be forced to hear this song ad naseum on the radio.
    I am certainly no Michael Jackson fan but I would be very interested in hearing about those who are forcing you to listen to anything on the radio.

3. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

Obviously, "forced" is an exaggeration, but it still seems to me as some sort of self-serving thing that's gonna be played over and over and over and over.... Free PR, and donations made in the name(s) of the stars, without them actually contributing much. These people make an amazing amount of cash, but can't simply make an anonymous donation?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Wade, if such a "We Are the World"-type song is released, it will be difficult to avoid, no doubt. However, when you hear it, and if it annoys you, simply throw in a CD. Problem solved.
    I've been wondering if Whitney Houston's version of the "Star Spangled Banner" that she performed at Super Bowl XXI, which fell at the start of Operation Desert Storm, will be re-released as a CD single. If you recall, all the record stores had her performance as a CD and cassette single back in 1991.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Wade, such a recording would certainly be great PR. Any artist at all conscious of his or her image would jump at the opportunity to partake in this type of project, a la "We Are the World". However, it is possible that certain artists will make financial contributions to the relief effort independent of those made through the sale of the recording.
    The recording serves another purpose besides serving as a publicity stunt for the artists participating in it. Any one of us can pick up the phone or use a different medium to make a contribution (maybe not as substantial as that made by a recording artist, but a contribution nonetheless). However, many people feel better or more patriotic in buying a recording or other item that supports the relief efforts. Rather than "anonymously" making a donation over the phone, many people like to have a token to show their support. I don't mean to imply that people are self-serving during such times, but it's a point of pride. Also, items such as recordings that are available in every store make it very easy for people to contribute. So, in many respects, everybody wins. The bottom line is that a recording would benefit those needing help in this difficult time.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

6. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

People went bonkers over the Whitney version of the Star Spangled Banner. I guess it was due to our placement in the Gulf at the time. I couldn't believe how everybody seized on her version. The Monday after the Super Bowl, everyone was requesting it.
    As far Michael Jackson goes, I don't listen to pop radio or watch MTV, so it means little to me. The guy has become so insignificant to the music community (in fact, as insignificant as Whitney Houston now that I think about it), yet the press still hounds him like he released a good album two weeks ago.

7. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

Slightly off topic but here's another slant on the money raising scenario ...
    Football (soccer to you chaps Stateside) stars in this country get paid an extraordinary amount of money (up to £70,000 a week!) One such star (who plays for Tottenham Hotspur) has said that he will donate all his match bonus payments for the current season to the victims of the New York outrage - This could amount to around £100,000 and apparently his fellow players in the team are considering doing the same ...
    Now that's charity UK style & it gives you some idea of the affect Tuesday 11th September had on all your friends "across the pond" ...
    ------------------
    ... hi - my name is Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ...

8. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Most of these people, pop music stars, sports stars, and movie stars could just write a check for a couple of million each. When I hear about this kind of stuff - like Maddona offering proceeds from concerts to the effort - I think that's nice. That's nice, but come on, just write a check and help NOW. It's not like they can't afford it. Most of the victims probably contributed to their wealth. It's like saying - well I'll contribute but only if the public really likes me enough to buy my entertainment and besides I want everyone to know about my generosity. Just write the check or give blood or do whatever you can to help. Feel good because you were able to do something - not because you want everyone to know how wealthy or generous you are.
    I am sure many of these people gave without making a public announcement about it. It's these people I would rather support by going to their movies or buying their song or going to their game.
    ------------------
    Stefan Antwarg
    My DVD Collection
    The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

9. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

Keith and Greg,
    The Whitney CD single of The Star Spangled Banner, starts to ship to stores tomorrow. It also contains a version of America The Beautiful.
    Do you also remember the video that was released?
    That has always been available and will be out in stores as well.

10. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

I forgot to mention that all the proceeds from the sale of the single will go to NYPD and FDNY. Well that is... all of the record company's proceeds and Whitney's proceeds will go to charity.
    Whatever the store makes, the store can keep.