You have $3000 to spend on a display...what do you buy?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris_Matthews, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Chris_Matthews

Chris_Matthews Auditioning

I'm having a hard time choosing which way I want to go on a new display. I currently have a 47" Panny and it's time to move on. First I was thinking about going with a 42" ED plasma, then I got into FP and the new ae700u from Panny looks nice, and now I'm seeing that the 65" rp mits are selling for pretty cheap. I don't know...if you guys had your choice, what would you go with ($3000 limit)?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Chris, will this be your main TV?
    How big is your room?
    How far will you sit from screen?
    Do you have total light control?
    I have an X1 projector and I love it, but I wouldn't use a projector for all my TV viewing. Also if you don't have total light control, I wouldn't use a projector. If you have lights on when watching a movie, forget it. I use my X1 for only DVD's and occasional HD television in total darkness.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I would probably do what I did. 65 inch Toshiba 65H84 from ONE CALL for $2200 delivered. Use their credit card save some money. Get the 5 year extended warranty for about $265. White glove delivery. They may through it in. For less than $2,500 you have as much TV as you will need for 5 years or more. If you could find a CRT RPTV that can display 720P natively, that would be an attractive alternative.

If you can find a 65 inch that does 720P, let me know.

Artie

4. Chris_Matthews

Chris_Matthews Auditioning

You know, now that I think about it, another RP might not be a good idea. I just got out of college and will be moving around a lot, so I need something that isn't going to be a hassle to move. But the Toshiba at $2200 is tempting.

This will be my own main tv (although not the only one in the house). Right now I'm at my parent's place, so I have quite a bit of room. Viewing distance will be around 12'. I don't have total light control, but it doesn't really matter as I usually only watch at night. I mainly want it to watch DVDs and HD television.

After doing some research and trying to figure out the best bang for my buck, I'm leaning towards the Panasonic 700U with a 92" Da-Lite screen. If I do go this route, with my luck, I'm sure I'll end up in a cramped apt when I move out. I'd also plan on picking up a smaller tv for "regular" viewing. Anyway, that's what I've come up with so far. Only problem is I can't find anywhere to demo it in my area. [​IMG]