You had me at bored

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Shane Gralaw, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

Was anyone else completely tired of the Cruise/Holmes thing at its first mention? Is anything less worthy of airtime and bandwidth?

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

And yet, still so thrilling as to to have you starting a thread in the wee hours? [​IMG]

3. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    America's obsession with all things celebrity continues. We don't care (enough) about political elections, global warming and poverty and aids barely send a ripple through us, but if Tom Cruise jumps up on Oprah's couch to proclaim his love for Katie Holmes, America is right there. What is wrong with this picture?

4. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Do people REALLY care or does the media THINK we do?

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
  6. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I think similar thoughts. Do we really need to care that she's converted to Scientology?

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

All that "news" time needs to be filled with something now that the Michael Jackson trail is over. [​IMG]

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

My money is on the media. I don't anyone who seeks out this sort of stuff. I do know people who fail to change the channel when stuff like this comes up.

--
    H

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'm such a cynic when it comes to celebrity news. I just get the feeling this is all just a publicity stunt to promote themselves.

Hell, I thought the whole affair between Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie was just to boost sales for "Mr & Mrs Smith".

10. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I think people pay more attention to the Cruise/Holmes saga or any fluff news just to get away from what you listed above.

Paul

11. BrettB

BrettB Producer

It's amazing to see all the media coverage bemoaning all the media coverage. [​IMG]

12. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

The media should do a story about that...[​IMG]

Then it could be a meta-meta-story.

13. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Whatever happened to all the good "we will only give this sort of coverage to important stuff" resolutions after 9/11? Killed in one fell swoop with Lacie Peterson I guess.

--
    H

14. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The solution? Listen to NPR or watch public television (while it's still around). I stopped watching the Today Show several weeks ago and now tune to NPR in the mornings. Haven't heard a peep about Cruise/Holmes, Jackson or the latest Paris Hilton stunt. I now find out about all that stuff here [​IMG]

15. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Just so you get your tabloid fix *somewhere*. Man can not survive on news alone, you know. [​IMG]

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

wifey loves this kind of stuff. she subscribes to people magazine, watches the e! channel, watches entertainment tonight, etc.

me, i can't stand this stuff ... it literally pains me to watch these shows. i always leave the room when she watches it.

but i get that (obviously) there are people out there who like to know about celebrity lives ... just different strokes for different folks. when wifey turns into a stalker, then i'll be worried.

17. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

If I may, I think the reason why many obsess over celebrities is because America is so divided into sub-sections and sub-sub-sections and sub-sub-sub-sections that we need something we can all discuss without vitriol and hatred being spewed at friends and loved ones. Richard Jeni talked about this in his recent HBO special "A Big Steaming Pile Of Me" by saying that the Michael Jackson case is something that we can all agree on (well, at the time the special was released, we could). Entertainment unites us and everything else divides us.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

At least, that's how I feel.

18. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Sometimes I have the t.v. on to watch news or some show or something (for example, a Seinfeld re-run) and then my attention is diverted and while I am away...

one of those Inside Editon/Access Hollywood shows comes on and oh-my-gourd....I could be on death's door and still have the energy to turn that crap off ! I mean...its sick !
    ok rant off...flame me if you want, I can't stand that entertainment news. I think they just sit around and think of ways to mention names...like the thought process is - we need to talk about Cruise and Pitt and Aniston and (fill in the blank), ok so now what context ? and they go from there....

sorry if I sound ultra-cynical...

19. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt

[​IMG] Now that's funny.

20. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Here's my take on all things media. The media shows what people want to see and hear about and what brings in the ratings. While most people will say that they are tired of hearing about a story, they are still talking about it.

For some reason whether your talking about how much you hate hearing a certain story or about the story itself, you are still bringing the subject up. This thread is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Just like when a person gets bad publicity and then ends up even more popular then before.

If no one replied to this thread, it would have drifted off and we would never of seen it again. But we feel compelled to talk about the story, even it is to say how much we are tired of it. As long as people feel they need to give an opinion on a certain subject, there will be news like the Tom Cruise fiasco. Just simply don't watch, talk, or listen to any of it. And when the ratings for this type of news goes down, then the news organizations will change. But until then, which will never happen, we will get to see and hear all about the stupid celebrity love stories.