What's new

You guys will like this - Monster's new XBOX cables (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Pardon me for posting this big pic, but...
monster_xbox_table_03_big.jpg

Oooooh. Aaaah!
drool.gif
I like that solution better than HD pack & separate cables solution. Beefy lookin', too.
-Dan
saving for an Xbox, one trip to the sperm bank at a time

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I was reading that story, and man those cables look to be very fine.
I'm a little confused by the optical audio connection though. From the pictures I saw, it's output at first(from the base of the cables) via a connection that looks like a stereo mini din, then somehow converted to an optical connection. I'm just a little confused at how this will work.
Also, does only the component cables support an optical audio connection? *EDIT* Nevermind this question, I just found the answer...they all upport digital audio.
Thanks.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807
[Edited last by AndyVX on November 07, 2001 at 11:04 AM]

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm. So this will replace the HDTV pack? oh well - I'm buying the HDTV pack anyway and using some bettercables as my component cables. that way it's easier to replace the component cable.
Besides, didn't Monster have shipping problems with their good component cable upon the PS2 launch?

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
I guess it's my turn to be confused.... with 5 connectors it would appear that the "component" cable is for doing RGBHV. Can this cable also carry a YPrPb signal and let the "H" and "V" cables hang free?
I guess what I'm really asking is can the Xbox drive a YPrPb signal or only RGBHV. I have plenty of switching for YPrPb, but I have no way to switch RBGHV and I already have a HD decoder consuming that input.
-Alan

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Alan,
I believe that those are the analog audio outputs. Monster traditionally uses red & blue for those colors.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Looks good, but Monster Cable = Empty Wallet.
I'll just go HD-pack and use Radio Shack cables or something. I'll have tham hidden behind the TV anyway.
That Monster Cable looks so cool, it looks like something you would want to show off.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Those are component video with analog (L/R)audio outputs with a separate optical cable. They make a similar set for the PS2 except it's blue in color.
[Edited last by Prentice Cotham on November 08, 2001 at 06:20 AM]

Camp

Senior HTF Member
OK...how about a reward for the first person to find these deeply discounted somewhere? I want the component/optical audio connection but I am not about to spend more than a game for it.
BTW, I'm not a cable guy. -in case you couldn't tell. :)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I have the Monster component video cable for PS2 and I will be getting this puppy for XBox!!!!
Camp,
If they come to Best Buy, I'll get you one for a discount. BTW, Monster's site lists the X-Link 400 for less than what's stated in the article, 64.95 vs. 59.95 ($5 counts).
DanB,
I just noticed your signature....ROTLMAO!
laugh.gif

Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
65 bucks for a cable? i dont think so... Monster is not that much better..
------------------
"As long as you are out there, I can never be number one...."
My DVD List

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on what you think of the included microsoft component cable compared with other brands, imho.
$20 for the HD pack which comes with 5' lenghts of 6 RCA cables; 2 analog audio, 3 component, and a composite plus the need to purchase separate optical connection, ~$35, for a total of $55 to get rolling.
or..
$65 for Monster Cable pack + ~35 for their or others' decent toslink connection for a total of $100.
I'm going with the HD Pack at first.
If the dreaded "unshielded" effects appear, I'll convert. :)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Those of you with some kick ass hometheater setups, don't be dumb and "cheap out" on some lame cables. The MonsterCables and Bettercables and VampireWire are all vastly superior to the usual "junk in the box" that you normally find when you open up your new equipment.
Think I'm going to go with the MonsterCable.
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Mike_G,
Yes!
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The 'HD box' probably has as high (or low) of quality of traces as you'll find leading up to the port on the motherboard of the XBox, where it is considerably noisier from an RF standpoint.
You think you get a videophile grade A/V section on a $300 box that plays stunning 3D games, has a hard drive, and networks?
The bottleneck to signal quality will probably be inside the XBox itself. I would not buy a $100 worth of cables for a game console like I would for a high-end DVD player.
Buy the $20 HD box and look for noise that you think you can cure.
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on November 12, 2001 at 04:43 PM]

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
So should I just stay with the s-video cable that comes with the A/V pack? Not worth it at all for a decent S-video cord?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks