What's new

You guys think the Denon 2200 for 290$ refurb is a good deal? (1 Viewer)

Juan_T

Stunt Coordinator
Or should I wait a little bit longer.. and I'll find them cheaper?

Ecost has 45 of em? what you guys think?

also, if I did go for it, what a good place to buy the 5 cables needed to hook up the dvd player to my receiver so I can let the dvd player do the decoding for me? also so I can play SACDs?

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
I would not think to long about it, those 45 units will go really fast. Used 2200 sell for at least $100 over the refurb. Denon refurbs arrive in like new conditon with a warranty.

The 2200 video is hard to beat. Sure there are upconverting dvd players or dvi enabled players, but for the most part these are more hype than reality.

The sacd and dvd-a are surperb. Regular CD sound very good. There are new universal players coming out shortly, the better ones in the $300 range, but I would bet none will match the 2200 build quality, component quality, circuitry layout.

Or you can wait for the Denon 3910 to reach ecost as a refurb in about a year....

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't say DVI players are more hype than reality, it's just that most of the affordable ones are very quirky at this point.

What kind of display are you using? If it's a digital display (LCD, DLP, LCOS, Plasma) then you may want to wait for the Denon 2910. It's replacing both the 2900 and 2200 and is adding DVI and HDMI upscaling. Its retail cost will be around $750 when it becomes available in september but I would expect refurbs to find their way to market at around $400 by the end of the year or early 2005.

If you don't have an analog display (Direct View CRT, CRT RPTV, or CRT FP) then I would say the 2200 is going to be a very good choice, especially at this price.

As for cables you'll actually need 6 (Front Right, Front Left, Center, Back Right, Back Left, Subwoofer). I would look on ebay or elsewhere for some individual lengths of Canare w/ Canare Connectors. You can fine people who will do them in custom lengths and w/ different colors for each channel. You could even have the 6 individual cables bound in techflex, but this would make it alot less flexible. You should be able to get a broadcast quality quality Canare cable (or 6 individual cables) built for around $50. You could also use 5 channel Canare cable and an individual Canare cable for the 6th channel. Look around and see what you can find.

Juan_T

Stunt Coordinator
"If you don't have an analog display (Direct View CRT, CRT RPTV, or CRT FP) then I would say the 2200 is going to be a very good choice, especially at this price."

I have a CRT, a Sony Wega 27", the best input it has is S-video :frowning:

but, the picture quality is beautiful.

Right now, I have a crappy 50$ (4 years ago) Dvd player, a Phillips Magnavox 825 player...

I was thinking of upgrading because I wanted DVD-A and SACD.. Do you think I'll notice an improvement on DVD picture quality also (if I upgrade to de Denon 2200)? although I can just hook up via S-cable?

Jay Blair

Second Unit
If you just have S-video with a 27" display (even a Sony Wega, which is beautiful) and aren't thinking about upgrading anytime soon, you might be better off getting a new Pioneer 578a with DVD-A and SACD for about $150. With S-video out you're not likely to see a major difference.

But having said that, for $289 for a refurb 2200, if that is what you want, it's a good deal.

Juan_T

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks! well, if you dont think I will see a difference then I should probably look at the player you suggest. Sonically they should both sound the same, right?

I'm not planing to upgrade the TV anytime soon.:frowning:

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You probably won't see a PQ difference, but the Denon will be much better from a DVD-A and SACD standpoint. It offers much more flexibility in terms of bass management and (not as important, but...) it doesn't convert DSD to PCM for bass management, so you don't have to worry about any compromises when using the player's bass management for DVD-A. You'll also have a much better player PQ wise IF you upgrade to a HDTV anytime within the life of the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks