You guys convinced me...I'm not buying the Marantz

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kerry R, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Kerry R

Kerry R Extra

Now what do I do. I was leaning toward the Marantz SR5200 due to its combination of features, price, and what from what I have read here from many people the best sounding receiver. With the problems I've read about with the X200 line I have decided to choose another reciever. I've decided now to move up a little in price. I am now looking at the Denon 2802 and the Onkyo 696. I would like opinions from the forum on these two receivers (as well as any other receiver anyone beleives I should be considering).

One thing that I saw that interests me about the Onkyo 696 is it has outputs for a second set of main speakers. I'm very new to this so I'm not sure exactly what I can do with this. I will have the receiver setup in my basement for Home Theater. Will I be able to power a set of speakers in my family room for music only? (It would require a run of about 50 feet).

From what I can tell about the Denon 2802 it gives me 6.1 capabilities as the Marantz 5200 did.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kerry, the second set of speaker inputs on the Onkyo receiver will allow you to drive a pair of speakers in a second room. Just check the impedances and sensitivities of the two pairs of speakers you would be driving and see if driving both pairs at higher volumes simultaneously would present too much of a load for the receiver. Of course, you don't have to run both pairs of speakers simultaneously.