What's new

Directors You favorite "The Far Side" cartoon strip... (5 Viewers)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
"Don't sit there, that chairs not safe!" and "Don't eat those, those are poison arrows!" I've just never had an urge to eat any type of arrow.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I like the one where the 3 wise men walk into a bar and the people at the bar say "more like the 3 wise guys, if you ask me"
Another is the cops bust into the gangsters hideout and say "who's the brains of this outfit" and there are 3 pin head guys and one guy with a big old balloon head.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
The classics for me are:
"Bummer of a birthmark, Hal!" with the two deer, and one has a bullseye on his chest.
and my alltime favorite is the cows in the field standing on their back legs. One says "CAR!", and they all go onto 4 legs, the car passes, and they stand back up.
I miss Far Side and Bloom County!
------------------
Randy Tennison
Kansas City, MO
Home theater photos located at
http://home.kc.rr.com/thetennisons/

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
My 2 all time favorites are;
"Nerds of the animal kingdom" - two cheetahs stalking a group of elk, when a bucktooth cheetah walks up behind them and says "hey guys, whatcha doin'?"
"The 100 meter mosey"

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Another of my favorites is the clown buying a gun think to himself "Laugh at me will they?" And then there's Old Zeek, the dog with the chainsaw.
Larson is a genius, pure and simple.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I really miss the Far Side.
Bear in rifle scope crosshairs pointing to the bear next to him.
Wolves running into and out of a house. "I know you miss the Wainrights Bobby, but they were weak and foolish people. That's why we have wolves and other large predators."
A park scene with a baby in a baby carriage. Two birds sitting on the handles and one says "I've been stuffing worms into it all morning and it's still hungry!"
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I can think of many. Just two examples:
"The living hell of Jacques Cousteau's cat" as the crazed feline looks out from the window of a submarine.
Also love
farside.jpg

I wish Gary Larson would make his archive available online like "Doonesbury" is. Hell, I'd even pay for the privilege of seeing them with a searchable database.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's
[Edited last by Michael*K on October 30, 2001 at 02:56 PM]

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
OK. My fav is the one with the guy who invents the dog speech translator helmet. He puts on the helmet, and what are dogs saying at each other? "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" ....
wink.gif

------------------
Michael Caicedo
Winter Park, FL
- At my signal, unleash hell...

Denward

Supporting Actor
I know the quotes aren't exact since I'm going from memory:
2 crocodiles lying on a river bank. Both with their bellies full. Mangled canoe and safari gear all around them. "Man, that was incredible. No antlers or tusks or nothing. Just soft and pink."
A dog in a moving car talking out the window to another dog on a lawn. "We're gonna have a great day. First I'm going to the park, and then to the shopping mall, and then I'm going to the vet to get tutored."
A dog hiding next to an open clothes drier. A cat is looking at the drier. There's a sign with an arrow pointing into the drier. The sign says "Cat Fud". The dog is thinking "Oh please, oh please, oh please,..." First you think the dog is smart for setting up the trap, but then you think he's dumb for misspelling Food. But is the cat dumb enough to fall for it. So deep...
biggrin.gif

I always loved the animal ones.
It's a shame these guys get tired of doing these strips. I also miss Calvin and Hobbes. It was sad when Berke Breathed got bizarre with his Bloom County reprise. I can't remember what it was called.
[Edited last by Denward on October 30, 2001 at 05:15 PM]

Michael*K

Screenwriter
My fav is the one with the guy who invents the dog speech translator helmet. He puts on the helmet, and what are dogs saying at each other? "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" ....
There was a "companion" one for this that shows what we say to cats ("Bad cat", "Stay off the furniture", "No!") followed by a panel showing what cats hear. The dialog box is blank! How true! Darn cats.
laugh.gif

patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
The cartoon is titled CATTLE HUMOR. A cowboy is seen in the midst of a large herd. On his back someone (somecow??) has pasted a note which reads TRAMPLE ME. How sweet it is.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
The one that caused me to laugh the hardest of them all was the one where we see a tower (like a lighthouse or something) and all the way down it, wrapping around it, is "WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP". It goes all the way around it until finally at the bottom of the tower, we see a scientist has tumbled down a spiral staircase.
I don't know why that was so funny to me, but even now, it brings a big grin to my face. Anyone else remember this one? :)
Two Honorable Mentions:
When Popeye is on the stand in a courtroom being charged with something and he replies "I yam what I yam!" :)
I also really like the "Grizzlies From Hell" one. :)
[Edited last by Wes Ray on November 01, 2001 at 02:05 AM]

Kevin P

Screenwriter
There was a "companion" one for this that shows what we say to cats ("Bad cat", "Stay off the furniture", "No!") followed by a panel showing what cats hear. The dialog box is blank!
I like the companion strip to that one:
What we say to dogs: "You stay off the furniture, Ginger, or else! You hear me, Ginger? ..."
What they hear: "Blah blah blah GINGER blah blah GINGER..."
I also like the one captioned "Clumsy ghosts". Shows a staircase with nothing visible, but you see "Whoa! WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP!" and the cat getting flattened.
Another "whump" one: Old lady shouts "Knick knack paddywhack, give a dog a bone!", then in the next frame an old man is rolling home, going "WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP". You have to know the song to understand this one. :)
I also like the "Ghost Newspaper" one, with a ghost (invisible), with glasses on, holding a newspaper to the comics page, with the strips titled things like "Doonesburied" and "The Other Side" and all you see in the frames are speech bubbles but no characters.
Woman on phone: "Hi, Doreen? I'm fine, how are you? Say, do you think you could go to your window and describe what's in my front yard?" All you can see in the window is a huge eye looking in.
"Things that go bump in the night". Shows a monster who just bumped his head on the door frame.
Colonel Sanders at the Pearly Gates, decorated with the figures of chickens, and he's thinking to himself, "Uh oh".
"Through an unfortunate celestial error, Ernie is sent to Hog Heaven". Shows one guy in heaven with a bunch of pigs.
Cows in a room, with the phone ringing. "There it goes again, and here we sit, with no opposable thumbs."
Cavemen working on a wheel, sign reads "Zog's Weel Repare". Zog holding up a rock, and saying "No no! This regular rock! Me need Phillips!" Another similar one: "I need a crescent wrench, wait, maybe this is the crescent wrench! Dang these stone tools!"
And, probably the best "propaganda" Far Side cartoon ever made: "The real reason dinosaurs became extinct". Shows a prehistoric scene with the dinosaurs smoking cigarettes.
Primitive UFOs: Cavemen are pointing toward the sky, with surprised expressions, and there is a flying saucer made out of straw, sticks, and stones.
This one needs no caption: Frog hanging by his tongue from the belly of an airplane.
KJP
[Edited last by Kevin P on November 01, 2001 at 07:49 AM]

Denward

Supporting Actor
I just remembered another one...
Husband bear comes home to wife bear. He's got a numeric tag stapled to his ear, radio tracking collar around his neck, etc. Wife demands excuse for why he's late.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Ok, this is my last post to this thread, I promise! :)
Sometimes Gary would use other people's comic/cartoon characters in his strip. Examples:
"What happened to Tinkerbell" - shows a frog in swamp with a light coming from inside.
Two pre-historic predators (bears? sabertooth tigers?) licking their chops, and one is saying to the other: "I've heard lots of strange sounds from those things, but 'Yabba dabba do' is a new one to me."
Elmer Fudd, in screwdriver factory, called into his boss' office. The boss says to him: "You're an excellent worker, Mr. Fudd, but there is a problem. You've been having a subliminal effect on the staff here. You know no one else makes a finer skwoo dwivuh... dang! now you have me doing it!"
The Red Baron is shown with his plane, which has painted on it little airplane symbols representing the planes he's shot down... including an image of Snoopy on top of his dog house.
KJP

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"Ship Of Fools/Car Of Idiots"
Sincerely,
John Kilduff
------------------
"Who makes it happen?"
"I make it happen"-
Sigourney Weaver and Melanie Griffith in "Working Girl"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.