You ever feel like you just wasted 4 months of your life?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Evan S, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I do.

I just took the level II Chartered Financial Analyst examination. It's given to people in the investment analysis industry. It's like a self study MBA for investment professionals. Every year on the first weekend in June, they give the examination to over 100,000 people worldwide. There are three levels. I passed level I in 2001 and took level II last year (and failed). Level II is suppose to be the backbreaking "hump" level for candidates. Pass rates hover around 50% for level I, 48% for level II and go up to 65-70% for level III.

I just spent 4 months, studying almost every day...approximately 20 hours a week to take a test in which I felt like I got my ass kicked.

Funny, but a friend of mine who has passed all three exams said that everyone is in the same boat as me and every time he passed an exam, he walked out of the test center assured he had failed.

Worst part? I have to wait until mid-August to find out the results because it's an essay examination. Best part? I can go back to using my HT again![​IMG]

It just never seems that they test the stuff I am very strong on and always decide to present some part of the material that I am weak in, or haven't recently looked at. Damn!

2. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Sounds almost as fun as the CPA exam.

3. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I feel like I've wasted the past 12 years of my life!
    Perhaps it is just a pre midlife crisis, does that happen around 33????

4. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Blu, if you happened to get married as a teenager and have teenage children now, I suppose you could be going through a bit of it. Most men seem to go through it though once the wives are entering menopause for some reason. Maybe they're trying desperately to hang onto what little youth they have left.It seems like once you're past 30 all the younger people think you're really old.Just hang in there old chap, you've got plenty of years left in ya!

5. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Evan,

Tell me about the CFA...I have one of the worst study techniques...and the CFA exams are absolutely the wrong type of exams for me.

It's not about whether the CFA material is hard or not (though it can be), it's the sheer volume. Even though I used Schweser notes, cramming 800 pages of notes into the week before the exam (yep, that's my study "technique") was absolutely horrendous. It's like one year's worth of university material examined in 2 x 3-hour papers, in one day. Ouch.

I would have preferred they have 8 weekly exams that test a different 100 page set of material each time. No matter how much material they cover, whether 80 or 800 pages, I spend the same amount of time studying for it. The last 3 days before the exam, I usually only have about 1.5 to 2 hours sleep each night, as the clock ticks away. Generally not good for one's health.

I'm so glad it was all over when I passed L3 2 years ago.

Keep the chin up, you may be surprised by your results.

Regards,

Joe

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Thanks Joe, I cannot imagine taking the approach that you do, but if I fail again, I will definately use a different approach next year, that's for sure!

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

8. Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze Stunt Coordinator

9. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

11. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

13. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

I nearly understand how you feel. I have been studying for the LSAT non-stop for the past month. I am taking it next Monday so I'll know how you feel after that. The good thing is I can get my results by the end of June, I believe. I'm sure you did fine.

14. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Thanks guys...funny thing is I don't know what to do with myself now. I used to have all my free time dominated with studying and now it's like..."Do I want to read my book, or play X-Box, or watch a movie, or go to a movie, or surf the internet or take my girl to dinner, or..." Well, you get the point...I usually end up doing nothing but killing time...odd.

15. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Nothing like getting wasted to make time fly by.

Fingers crossed man!

--
    Holadem

16. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Holadem, you and I should embark on a bit of that inebriation type stuff I think.

17. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Been in the same boat buddy.
    Fundamentals of Engineering exam 8hrs at the end of my senior year.
    Professional Engineering exam 8hrs four years later (mandatory waiting period).
    I had to wait for at least 3 months after each to find out if I passed.

18. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I had the same experiance with the CISA exam, exept I didnt study, and after I got it, it had absolutely no baring on anything in my life. Oh wait, thats completely different. [​IMG]

19. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I took my exam and interview for PURA II (Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst) 2 weeks ago, and I am quite sure I've bombed big time. Not that I care since I am soooooo ready to get out of my current job and make a change for the better.

I'm 35 and I have absolutely nothing to show for it....except I'm closing in on my 1000th posts here at HTF.

Edit: 993 posts as of this writing.