You don't necessarily need to upgrade to a BURN-Proof CDR...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Nov 22, 2001.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Just thought I'd say that my old chugging, 2-year old 2x writer can be a bit tempremental when burning. Obviously it's slow and while it's working I can't touch my PC for fear of using a few seconds of processor power and it all going pear-shaped.
    However, I recently considered that if I put all my burning data on a secondary hard drive this shouldn't happen...So long as I didn't inadvertently try to use this HD.
    It does work!
    If you have two hard drives read all your data from the second one that you wish to burn, meanwhile run all your other programs while this is happening from the main drive and you should be fine - no buffer underruns.
    It's worked for me.
    Hope this is clear (and of use to some people). [​IMG]

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

If your source and destination drives are on different IDE controllers then it can make life a lot easier.

BurnProof is designed to be a fallback, not a regularly used feature. If your burning software is constantly running out of buffer then you have quite a serious issue with your system, be that hardware or software based.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Good discovery.

I've found if your PC is fast enough and has enough RAM it really doesn't matter what burning method you're using.

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I regularly burn CD's while surfing, listening to mp3's etc... heck, I've even burned with no problems while playing Counterstrike online. That's on a plain IDE CD-RW drive from HP on a Pentium III 550. It's not that new either, burns at 4x.
    The very first generation(s) of burners weren't nearly as good as they got after a while... and of course nowadays the better quality burners are pretty much foolproof. Or burnproof. [​IMG]