"You Dirty Rats" Where are the James Cagney DVD's??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Meskell, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

White Heat, Roaring Twenties,Yankee Doodle Dandy...ect

Anything on the radar?????

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    By the way, Cagney never said "You dirty rats".[​IMG]
    Crawdaddy

3. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

Here Comes the Navy (1934) hasn't been released to any video format to date. I'm really hoping that will change in the near future, with a DVD collector edition release.
    Cheers, RD

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    While I'm sure many will claim the films are in "perfect" condition, I'm pretty sure many of the classic Cagney films need restoration or remastering. Black & white films need optimal image quality or they can look awful.

My picks for DVD are The Public Enemy, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Angels With Dirty Faces, The Roaring Twenties, and White Heat.

While the absence of Cagney on DVD is obvious, at least we can be assured of a fantastic DVD treatment by WB. (Also keep in mind, all of the pre-1950 Cagney films made by Warner Bros. were handed down several companies from 1957 to 1986. If they can look anywhere near like Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, or Arsenic and Old Lace, there will be much to anticipate!)

5. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

Turner, which owns the copyright for HCTN, has shown the film in the past, and it doesn't look all that bad. Even a Madacy-style release is better than nothing at all.

RD

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Warner's lack of interest in releasing Cagney on DVD is an insult to one of the greatest actors ever to appear on film. I love watching Cagney films, even mediocre ones as I'm constantly mesmerized by his style of speech & the way he uses his body when he acts. It's a joy to see.