What's new

You bloody SVS fanatics just cost me $570 (1 Viewer)

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
That's right. After reading all your glowing statements I decided to check out the sight. When I saw the sale they were having I couldn't resist. I ordered the 20-39 PCi on 6/18/02 and received it 6/21/02.
My first thought on seeing it was "OH MY GOD"
Even though I new the dimensions, I still didn't realize how big it would be. Especially compared to the Klipsch KSW-10 it was replacing.
Based on my first use of it, without callibrating, it rocks. I was watching a dvd and my wife said she felt the couch moved. Now I have to try it with music, but since it's only 7:20am here now I'll have to wait a few hours - don't want to shake my neighbors out of bed.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Don, that's the same model I have. I know how it looks much bigger when you actually put it in the HT room :) My neighbor came over last week to seek some help in setting up and calibrating his HT, and as soon as he got in my house he said "What in the hell is that?!?" Of course, I had to demo it for him...
Last night my cousin came by to check out the SVS. He asked me to really crank it, and I did - up to a point. I stopped when my whole house started vibrating like an earthquake.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The SVS subs are little :p)
Now my Tempest sub is a large sub(18" diameter and 6' tall) but this is what I call a big sub:
http://www.geocities.com/manurescape...l?982993304980
24 ft^3, 60"tall 26.5" wide 38" deep, 1.25-1.5" thick baltic birch throughout, heavy bracing (weighs well over 400lbs)
Output wise it would take pair of SVS Ultras to compete.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I think he moved recently and had to sell the Big Pig. He's currently running a dual Tempest sonosub. 6" ports instead of 8" ports and I think around 8ft^3 less in internal volume.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Cost you $570? Is that all? (I wish!) :D
I'm ordering next month. Either the PCi or PC+. Either way it's the 20-39. It looks as though the PC+ is overkill though, based on input from SVS and my config.
So, by the time I pay:
-Price,
-Shipping,
-Border Charges,
-Tax,
-(there better not be any duty with free trade, or Customs will have hell to pay!)
-and Exchange...
I'm looking at $1,000.00 (round figures) in Canadian Funds.
$570? I wish!!! :D (is there an echo in here?)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
hmmm, my 25-31PCi will cost US$499 + 106 (shipping) for a total of US$605 :frowning:
but considering that's shipping all the way out to Singapore, not too shabby I think. and probably will still blow away the stuff in the shops at a similar price locally. US$605 = about S$1,089, and an REL-Q201 is about S$1,400...

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Steve, but that is Candian money...not real money. :)
Dustin's sub is completely out of control. I could see building something like that into a closet and porting it into the room, though....
Don, I had the same response except I went way overboard (my specialty) and got the 16-46 PCi. It really sticks out in the living room. No, the better half didn't like it. I'm planning to keep it anyway. :D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Funny you should mention that Michael. If done properly it's called an infinite baffel (and no ports required). Can be done very cheaply and results in some of the best bass you'll ever hear (provided you use the right driver).
Here are two other examples that use an attic and a basement for the box respectively:
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/kraushome/IB.html
Link Removed

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Yeah I hear nothing but good about SVS subs, but I chose a different route.
I sure hope Dustin is right. Soon I'll be adding another 15" tempest adire alignment to my HT. I already have one and it does have nice bass down to 16hz. My room is on 2nd story and when I play it loud, the kitchen below rattles at 70db. :)
I really want to hear an SVS though, their website is what motivated me into building my own.
Total costs for dual adire aligment tempests is $700 for me. One enclosure is maple and aluminum and the other will be painted white. Link

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,
I assure you Dustin is right. There should be a review shortly of a sub I built for someone here using a Dayton DVC 15" driver. He had an SVS but sent it back because it kept bottoming out at reference levels. He's not having such issues any more! :)
Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The closest thing SVS has to dual Adire Alignment Tempests is dual Ultras. And at just a little over a 1/3rd the cost, it really shows how nobody can touch DIY subs.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Dustin B

Can I use a concrete closet with a wood door to make an IB sub? I think I can make a dual tempest setup, but what about the measures everybody uses for enclosure size, tuning and that kind of stuff?

How to avoid resonances from the door?

What about the air filtration in the edges?

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Tim,
What part of Kentucky are you from? This is one Kentuckian who would love a SVS demo! :D
Brandon Smith

Andrew_S

Auditioning
Brandon:
I'm in Lexington. I've got dualie 20-39's. One is a PCi, the other is a PC with the PCi upgraded woofer. Absolutely smokin. The room that these are in is very oddly shaped and I'd like to be able to do some better bass management. I'm running a B&K Ref30 for the pre, so the best I can get for the moment is a notch filter at around 50hz or so to tame that monster peak. Hopefully when B&K comes out with their upgrade later this year, I'll get some better bass management....

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Brandon, I'm way out at the far western end of the state - about four hours from Lexington.
I'd be more than happy to give a demo, but it's a long-ass drive! Maybe Andrew can hook you up with something more local :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Manuel, an IB is really just a sealed sub with a really really big box (so no port air speed or tuning to worry about). Once you have an appropriate driver (which the Tempest is) there are only two major requirements that need to be meet.
1) A mimimum of 4 times the combined Vas of all the drivers used. Although preferrably you want 10 times or more. For a pair of Tempests this means a minimum of 90 ft^3 and preferrably 224 ft^3 or more.
2) The air infront of the driver must be isolated from the air behind the driver. A concrete closet could be perfect for this. But it would require you to get a very sturdy door with good weather stripping installed in to it, properly sealing the closet off from the listening room. You could also just build a wall in place of the door truly making the closet into your sub box.
The only other concern is placement. If the closet is in a bad place the results won't be stellar. Subs are very sensitive to placement.
If you are really serious about the idea. Take a look at this FAQ and the IB cult forum linked at the bottom.
Link Removed
You'll also want to get in touch with ThomasW and Rich Kraus who are members of this forum.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Tim,
Thanks for the offer. My parents actually live in western Kentucky but it looks like it would still be even a two hour drive from there. Im almost scared to hear a demo...I don't know how much more abuse the credit card can take! :frowning:
Brandon Smith

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Dustin

Thanks, I will give it a thought, the closet is adyacent to one of my main speakers, in a corner... it should work perfectly!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Manuel, with that placement and an EQ the results should be spectacular. Provided the closet is big enough and constructed in such a way that you can properly seal the drivers in there.

The other neat part about an IB is how efficient they are. With 6000L and a pair of Tempests all you would need is a 2x100W at 4 ohms amp and they would pound.

Hope you decide to go ahead with it and I and others here look forward to seeing the pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks