What's new

You are never going to believe this ->> (1 Viewer)

Zach M

Auditioning
Well, at least I know my sub is sealed well.
rolleyes.gif
During a listening session I noticed the bass was sounding off, so I looked under one of my subs. There the port was, laying on the floor. The air pressure had blown the plastic port off of its screws!
eek.gif
When the weakest point of your DIY sub it fourscrews, that tells you something! Don't worry, I know how to fix it. My bass will be back up and breaking other things in the house soon.
Take a look at the pics
------------------
My Home Theater

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
I recall TV mentioning that he had CRACKED the endcaps off of some prototype CS_ULTRA/SS subs using the new Underhung driver. It's pretty amazing the pressure and force generated. This is also one of the reasons I preffer to mount drivers in an opposing fasion when I can. Then you just have to worry about keeping things rigid. Of course in the above 2 cases that would not have mattered.
Mark Seaton

Dan M~

Second Unit
Zach-
Look at your "weather seal" tape under the vent flange. That was probably the cause of the failure. The foam collapsed at the screws and "bowed" the flange of the vent (you may have had a leak between the screws), fatiguing the area around the screws. Lose the foam tape. Install using RTV or similar... do not over tighten the screws and let the RTV setup to form the gasket. Foam tape works well if the flange is very stiff (speaker flanges) or under light loads. I have seen many metal speaker flanges distorted by over tightening the attachment screws! Can't convince me they wont leak after awhile.
Good luck,
Dan
------------------
-Dan M~
My Small Collection

EdN

Auditioning
Dan M,
What is RTV? Where can I get more information on sealing materials for ports and speakers?
Thanks.
Ed

Julian Data

Second Unit
RTV is..
Room Temperature Vulcanizing compound.. aka Silicone Gasket Compound for Auto stuff.
------------------

Dan M~

Second Unit
... or Bath Tub/Shower Sealing Caulk, the cheap, $.99 a tube stuff from HD, Loews, Ace, etc. It's also mildew resistant!! But I hope that is not a problem with your sub!!!
-Dan

I prefer to use the black silicon caulk available at HD. it costs more but if your sub is black it looks much better than having a bunch of white mildew free caulk around your port. You could always paint it but most subs are too heavy to be carrying around all over the place. My wife tried to move my velo HGS once and nearly killed herself. (Not too mention I almost killed her for getting it out of place) I just finished my diy sub and she saw how big it was and said I am not even gonna touch that thing! I said DAMN STRAIGHT!
BTW... You know you may have gone too far when your sub is larger than your TV!!!!

Dan M~

Second Unit
Good Point Robert.
In fact the bath tub/counter caulking comes in many shades to match most common counter top colors. White, beige, black, blue, brown, tan, etc. If you use linoleum (sp?) to finish your speakers, you can probably find a matching caulking. My sub is a down-firing so the final resulting color is unimportant. It is good practice to remove sqeeze out and smooth the resulting "fillet" of caulk with a damp finger... makes it look proffesional!
Just a comment, I still prefer the foam tape round the drivers themselves. Just use caution and common sense when tightening the screws. Do not bend/distort the drivers mounting flange. It helps to use the thinnist tape you can find as the baffle and driver flange are fairly smooth, flat surfaces and should be easy to seal. I've toyed with the idea of using an O-ring kit and using the router to cut a v-groove in the baffle. Seems like alot of work... and I have not persued the idea. It would be the ultimate in craftsmanship though!!!
-Dan
------------------
-Dan M~
My Small Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks