What's new

You all should listen to Russ Herschelmann. (1 Viewer)

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
After reading his article on speaker positioning in SGHT, I thought I might as well take his challenge to see if his positionings really do work.
Based upon this Instead of having my speakers placed about 24" from the wall, I moved the front speakers to 42" out from the wall, or the recommended 1/10 length of the 35' room.
Then I placed the left speaker 16.8" from the left wall and I then placed the right speaker 16.8" from the right wall, based on the 1/10 or 3/10 postionings for A seats. (I chose A seats). Then I placed the sub as close to the center of the room as possible (allowing room for the tv). I will have more flexibility for sub placement when I get that tv outta there and a projector/screen in.
Well I have to say upon listening to these new positionings the room response just sounds awesome. At my previous positions I noticed a huge bass hump about 11 feet from the front wall and now that is totally disappeared.
The sound quality now seems to be totatlly unified across the whole room and it may be just me but bass response seems waaaaay smoother and more accurate.
You should check out the home theater architect article in the June 2001 SGHT and try these positonings for yourself.
Aaron

Jason Price

Second Unit
Do you have a link or anything to that article? I don't have access to it, but would be interested to see/read it. Anyone care to scan it in?
------------------
-Jason
If at first you don't succeed, see if the loser gets anything...

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I really don't like about Russ is the almost religious fervor to which he pumps the THX mantra of making HT sound "like the dubbing stage."
Is it me or is the theatrical dubbing stage the worst venue you would want to recreate? Isn't the whole idea to make soundtracks sound as realistic as possible within a home theater? Even Tomlinson Holmann (sp?) has changed his tune from the old days of THX in many ways when devising his new 10.2 system.
Yes, of course I know you have to have proper acoustics and room dimensions in order to try to achieve even that lofty goal.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

BruceD

Screenwriter
I despise THX and Russ's position on THX and the "dubbing stage" metaphor also, both which really destroy quality discrete surround sound in my opinion. Even more so now that DPL II is out.
I've found that most rooms will not respond very well to these recommended distances unless they are close to perfect rectangular spaces (no openings, no windows or doors, and a flat ceiling). I haven't lived in many places with these type of rooms.
I would prefer to actually measure and adjust my speaker/room frequency response
( RS SPL meter --> PC notebook --> ETF5 software)
and then select the positions that sound and measure the best.
I locate these positions in almost real time, watching the frequency response change on the PC screen as I move the speakers.
This also allows me to optimize a parametric EQ on the bass output to eliminate any bass boom peaks.
This is not an expensive option these days, but it does take some study to understand basic audio principles.
ETF software
BruceD

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Anyone ever see the Sumico reps set up some of the "ROOMS" at CES? All done by ear(with a little help from JENIFER WARNES) with fantastic results!

Users who are viewing this thread