Yoko Ono on Conan

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by KyleK, May 4, 2003.

1. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Did anyone catch this Friday night? She has got to be about the weirdest person Conan has ever interviewed. Well, I guess that's what drugs will do to you.

Conan was polite and just went along with her strangeness. I was left wondering, what was the point of them getting in that bag and taking off various articles of clothing?

Kyle[​IMG]

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Copied from alt.fan.conan-obrien:

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

I thought the whole thing was hilarious!

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It was my pleasure to interview Yoko in 1993, and I thought she was a thoroughly classy woman. She is a nice person, and, being a conceptual/performance artist, she is eccentric. The current world looks less favorably on the eccentric than in times past.

5. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I don't think the "times" have anything to do with Yokos acceptance.

She has definitely rode Johns coattail far too long. Just take his money and stay out of sight...please!

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Yep, Terrance. I was waiting to comment until I saw the piece.

First, the piece on Conan did what it was supposed to do. It was, "Hey, you're really weird. Prove it." And she did. It was funny, and though I like Conan, it would have been better if he didn't try to interject a punchline every two seconds for fear of losing the audience. The bigger laugh would have been if he'd just let the weirdness simmer.

Her work is in an unfortunate place-it's firmly in the mainstream's view, but most of it is clearly not mainstream.

I'm not a huge Yoko fan (just not that familiar with a lot of her stuff), but I hate to see someone bashed that's just trying to be different. She's generally considered successful for what she's trying to do. It's not The Beatles. It's not (most) of John's stuff. It's her own work.

Give me Yoko's oddities over the bland trite that's at the top any day.