Yogi-isms

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dana Fillhart, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

I find Yogi Berra a fascinating individual -- I find myself wondering how exactly his mind works in order for him to have come up with so many witty, paradoxical catchphrases. There's even been a book put out with them.

What phrases do you know? Were they said by Yogi himself or just attributed to him because they're in his style of speaking? Here are those I've seen/heard (which supposedly all come from Yogi himself):

• It's deja-vu, all over again.
    • It gets late early out here.
    • Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.
    • It ain't over 'til it's over.
    • I really didn't say everything I said.
    • You can observe a lot by watching.
    • The future ain't what it used to be.
    • If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be.
    • If the people don't want to come out to the ballpark, nobody's going to stop them.
    • When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
    • Never answer an anonymous letter.
    • "We made too many wrong mistakes." --on why the Yanks lost to Pittsburgh in 1960 WS.
    • "I want to thank you for making this day necessary." --on Yogi Berra Day, 1947, St. Louis
    • "...overwhelming underdogs." --on the 1969 Mets

2. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
  3. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Dana:
    Perhaps you should (if you haven't already) check out the Yogi Berra museum, it's in Jersey Yogi Museum
    You have to wonder if Yogi's success partly came from people thinking that he wasn't too swift. You can get a great advantage if your opponent underestimates you. Yogi has something like 10 world series championship rings (not sure if they all came with the Yanks). He went to the Houston Astros to coach and they started winning, he was with the Mets and they also won. From what I understand he also is a pretty sharp businessman. I was told that he had a piece of Yoo-Hoo, remember him doing the ads ? Either he is a real sharpie or he is one lucky dude.
    My father told me that he was the best 'bad ball' hitter ever. He would take hacks at lots of high pitches and send them out of the park.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I think Yogi learned his unique language from Casey Stengel -- he must have at least had some influence. Sparky Anderson must have gone to the same school, too. They were all great characters.

5. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I just love the AFLAC commercial with Yogi and the duck. It cracks me up every time. The ducks reactions are priceless to the Yogi-isms.

Todd

6. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

This is great! I've been looking for a book on Yogi-isms for a while.

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I think Casey Stengel made a lot of those and I believe one of his most famous was "it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings". Casey used to ramble on, when asked a question, in a mind-numbing manner.