Yippee!!! I get to build a HT!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Sankar, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Hello all! I have been away (but not out for the count!) for quite some time from this forum!
    We moved from warm and sunny Southern California to cold and overcast New York (the things we do for a career!) last year and for the past year and a half I've been deprived of all my equipment (sitting packed up in boxes) [​IMG] However, the winter is nearly over and I now have the pleasure of building a HT in the basement of our new home .. from scratch!!!
    The basement is completely unfinished (concrete all around) and has a floor to beam height of close to 9 feet (yoohoo!). So the plan is to make a room that is about 14ft x 20ft x 8.5ft (give or take a few inches). I'll be working on a "room within a room" concept and also using AcoustiBloc all around. The doors will be 2 layers of solid core with probably a sandwich of AcousticBloc. So I suspect that the sound isolation issue can be controlled. All construction will be done using a contractor (who is also an excellent carpenter). For the interior, I'm planning on a wooden subfloor (2x4s laid flat with ply on top) with carpeting.

The questions I'm sort of stuck with are with regards to acoustic treatments. My search reveals that most folks agree that you do not want the room too "live" or "dead". Fibreglass boards such as those by Owens Corning or InsulShield have been suggested with the front wall completely covered, the side and rear walls covered to ear height. It also appears to be generally accepted that the boards be covered with fabric. Unfortunately this may not fly that easily with the wife, whose point is that the room is also to be used for "other" purposes (not just movie watching). As I am not convinced that I should alienate her quite yet, theater style chairs and fabric covered walls are out [​IMG].

Can I paint the boards instead? Why is it that no one refers to painting them? Or should I just ignore putting fibreglass and focus on room treatments such as those coming from www.realtraps.com? After all I may need those for bass traps anyways, right? Will they do a good enough job that I can ignore the fibreglass boards altogether?

Please help!
    Man ... its great to be back!!!

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Hi Sankar, and welcome back! [​IMG]

There are many things you can do acoustically, but also make the room attractive and wife "accepting!" [​IMG] Properly placed columns or other "built in features," made out of the right materials will absorb, diffuse, or relect sound accordingly.

It's hard to say what you need at this point since you don't have the room dimensions finalized or have such things as speaker location, screen, and seeting areas defined.

Feel free to share more info and I'll see what I can do. Also, if you wanna chat offline feel free to email me as well.

Most importantly, have FUN!!!!

3. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Sankar Dude,

It was 64 degress here in Berkeley today. Waaaaarmmmm.....mmmmmmmm

Dude,

Chester II

4. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Thanks Erik! I'll put together a drawing and upload (don't quite know how though ... can jpgs be uploaded?).

Chester II ... harrumph!! its 72 degrees here ... even better! So haa! (I haven't checked what its like outdoors yet though ... [​IMG])

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Sankar:

Welcome back. You will have to upload your images to a server and then link to them.

Parker

6. RonnieT

RonnieT Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if you overlooked this or not but if a 2x4 subfloor is used, that already puts your ceiling height down at 7.5' plus thickness of your plywood. This height is not a problem but just wanted you to realize this before you did any further calculations.

7. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Ronnie,

I think your math is a little off. [​IMG] He's starting with close to 9' for height.

Your neighbor,

Nick P

8. RonnieT

RonnieT Stunt Coordinator

Yeah Nick, I think you're right. I guess thats what happens when you try to multitask. :b For some reason I was stuck on inches not feet. silly me. sorry

9. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

I have a drawing now (which I have made into a pdf file as well .. 5kb), but do not have access to any server that I could upload to [​IMG] (I'm still looking)
    Any other way of getting the picture visible?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

10. Erik Farstad

Sankar, email it to me and I'll happily post it for you. [​IMG]

11. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Gee! Thanks!!
    I've sent it over!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Erik Farstad

I'll post it when I get home.

13. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

By the way ...

Are there any problems associated with painting fibreglass boards (rather than covering them with fabric)? Has anyone tried this before?
    i.e. if I were to use Insulshield or something similar on my front and side walls, can I just paint them like I would drywall?

Thanks! [​IMG]

14. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

I've been able to upload the drawing ... it may look somewhat huge, but please bear with me on this :b :b

My HT

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. George_III

George_III Auditioning

Since you have all of that height, put in stadium seating?

16. Phaelon

Phaelon Agent

Sankar - what part of NY state are you in? I just moved back up here to Syracuse after four years in the NYC area and assure you - winters are typically rough here but this year was far worse than usual - it won't always be like this one.

I'm also in a new house (new to me) and adapting an existing room to HT use. The suggestions folks have on this thread may help as I never got response to my previously posted query. I have no WAF or SAF issue and even have the luxury of painting the walls 18% reflectance neutral gray but have a weird sound reflectance dilemma - three walls are covered with old double hung windows (it was a sun porch) and one wall is solid plaster with metal lath. I'm th8ink ing that perhaps I could alternate fabric wrapped fiberglass panels with some harder surface covered panels in order to balance out reflectance.